The STIHL RMA 460 is available to buy at Pleasants Hardware - Midlothian in Midlothian, VA. That year, fall suits were on sale for $11, and dresses for only $5.44. This November 1950 image shows the Sixth Street Market, where the city of Richmond was set to raise rents to be more in line with prevailing rates. In May 1955, a tugboat from New York City left Richmonds Upper Terminal with three steel barges in tow. In July 1956, Warren Collazzo and Pat Benedict of the Eastern Parkway Skating Club in Brooklyn, N.Y., practiced a routine they would use in an international skating competition that was underway at the Arena in Richmond. The school, which cost about $1.1 million, opened the previous month and had roughly 500 high school and 500 elementary students. Tobacco planters and shippers started building facilities in Richmond in the 1600s. Earlier in the day, Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney and the citys Police Chief Gerald Smith provided an update on the mass shooting that happened on the citys southside. In August 1950, the 176th Infantry of the Virginia National Guard was training at Camp Pickett in preparation for possible duty in Korea. On Wednesday, City of Richmond Police charged Donald Hemmings, 22, Shyheem Martin, 23, and Sha-Mondrick Perry, 19, with conspiracy to commit murder. In November 1951, a dachshund float towered above spectators lining the curb during the Thalhimers Toy Parade in downtown Richmond. This April 1950 image shows the horse fountain on Shockoe Lane, the small stretch at 13th and East Cary streets that is now referred to as Shockoe Slip. Please subscribe to keep reading. Test types vary by location and will be confirmed during the scheduling process. In September 1951, the area of Hull Street between 12th and 13 streets in South Richmond was dug up for utility work and street rebuilding. But she did note that women drivers were unjustly maligned: Women are as careful as anyone else, she said. The warehouse blaze destroyed a lot of pieces intended for Christmas gifts. Located on Bells Road, Parnell Field had two dirt runways, and at its peak, it was home to as many as 30 light aircraft. In November 1952, Armistice Day ceremonies were held at the old John Marshall High School in Richmond. The wagon was among numerous items being transferred from Cameron Station in Alexandria; it can still be seen at the Army Quartermaster Museum at Fort Lee. The story said there were 122 such accidents in Virginia in 1949, with 23 people killed. The building used to house a beauty salon, and a white spot on the floor where a salon chair once sat gave the eatery its name. (renews at {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}}/month + tax). The damaged building was restored and is now occupied by Community Church of God in Christ. Its a tragedy when a mother and now a child is gone because of indiscriminate gunfire without any regard for human life in a neighborhood. This July 1955 photo shows the view from Richmonds Chimborazo Hill at twilight, looking across Fulton and the James River. More than 4,000 spectators saw Bobby Hill of Columbus, Ohio, the nations top racer, ride bike No. That month, city officials pondered whether furnishing water to this old horse trough on North Second Street near Bates Street and two others was still justified. The shooting on April 27 claimed the life of 30-year-old Sharnez Hill and her 3-month-old daughter Neziah Hill. In May 1953, shoppers crowded the streets of downtown for Richmond Day, a promotion that began the year before. Starting in the 1800s, the area near what is now Willow Oaks was occupied by a large number of granite quarries. In September 1956, students at the Grace Arents School, located on Oregon Hill, were among those all over Richmond who participated in a fire drill. Today, the lake is in on the grounds of Jefferson Lakeside Country Club. It still houses offices, laboratories and classrooms for Virginia Commonwealth Universitys medical campus. About 6:30 p.m., Richmond police responded to apartments in the 4000 block of Midlothian Turnpike, across the street from George Wythe High School, after receiving a report of a shooting. These boys soaked up the sun while fishing at Shields Lake in Richmond. Capt. The segment sits between Westover Hills Boulevard and Prince Arthur Road. Before a crowd of about 6,000 people at Capitol Square, Gov. The building later was renovated and became a childrens recreation center. In December 1955, pedestrians scurried across a busy Broad Street at Fourth Street in downtown Richmond as Christmas shopping was in full swing. It still stands today, serving low-income children. Richmond Police recovered three guns at the scene, an assault rifle and two handguns. 5710 Midlothian Turnpike; Richmond, VA 23225 (804) 230 . City safety official John Hanna called the intersection the most complicated we have had to redesign and signalize in the past 14 years.. Just up the street, multiple officers are on scene of a reported shooting at The Belt Atlantic apartments. His name is still being withheld pending notification of his next of kin. First responders were called just before 5 p.m. to the 3100 block of Midlothian Turnpike for the shooting. Property Size 2,819 SF. Today, the ramp linking southbound Belvidere Street to southbound Interstate 95 occupies the area. J.G. In April 1951, W.H. In July 1952, Lovick Law, sergeant-at-arms for the House of Delegates, had his badges and flowers adjusted by majorettes while attending the Virginia Democratic Convention in Roanoke. The Byrd Park Methodist congregation, later renamed to Park Avenue, moved into the structure in 1952. While it put on some shows before 1935, it did not begin a consistent schedule until then. In October 1981, Melvin Shot Walker worked the grill at the White Spot in Charlottesville. There was only one minor injury, and none of the vehicles sustained serious damage. . In June 1950, Barbara Kilday (from left), Becky Branch and Jill Arnold set up a net for tennis. Circuit Court of Appeals, who wore his best Western outfit for the occasion. McCutchen said the 11-year-old who was injured is Sharnez Hills niece. Robinson turned to dancing and singing when he stopped boxing in 1952 but resumed fighting in 1955 when his entertainment career waned. Some new homes in the development were offered for less than $10,000 that year. The bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in the 1990s. On Aug. 28, 1950, Richmond's first black firefighting unit took charge of Engine Co. 9 at Fifth and Duval streets. Three fuel oil and kerosene tanks caught fire, sending black smoke across much of the city. The formal grand opening of the shopping center was held in March 1958. In June 1955, Central National Bank opened an "auto branch" at Third and Marshall streets in downtown Richmond, a block from the main office. Police said surveillance video at the victim's home show the suspect breaking into a car when the victim confronts him outside. Authorities believe the gunmen were targeting a single apartment but ended up striking two adult women, two teenage girls and the 3-month-old girl. The area was enduring a three-week dry spell at the time. According to an accompanying article, square dancing was enjoying a revival at the time. In March 1953, L. Howard Jenkins, head of a Richmond book manufacturer that bore his name, supervised workers at his plant on West Broad Street. Miller was club president. In September 1950, there were still working cart and wagon horses in Richmond, in addition to police horses that patrolled the streets. Students were in the middle of exam week at the time. In September 1953, members of the Virginia Military Institute football team prepared for the season. In November 1959, Mrs. Frank L. Jobson (seated) and Adele Clark admired a banner for the Equal Suffrage League of Virginia, which they helped form 50 years earlier in Richmond. Tobacco, textiles, newsprint, machinery and steel were among many products that came into or exited the terminal on cargo ships. The Dec. 6, 1953, edition of The Times-Dispatch included a photo spread on the Southern Biscuit Co., whose products under the Famous Foods of Virginia brand established the company as one of America's largest producers of cookies and crackers. The shop building was located offsite nearby. In November 1954, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother visited Richmond on a U.S. tour. In January 1964, Jewell Mason, one of Richmonds few female cab drivers, chatted with her husband, Otha, who also drove cabs. Five things to watch in the . Proceeds helped restore local gardens. The Keydets finished the season with a 5-5 record. The men used the hot boxes at the Richmond YMCA, which could be set to 115 degrees and could leave the body cleansed and refreshed. According to Richmond Public Schools, the two girls were students in the district, and that George Wythe High School and Westover Hills Elementary School are the two schools that have been most impacted by the shooting. In April 1950, firemen W.M. In February 1958, a line of vehicles moved along Chamberlayne Avenue at Lombardy Street on Richmonds North Side. Here, train engineer Mr. Denton got orders from stationmaster Mr. Boykin. Galeski wanted to improve the appearance and standardize the production of replacement eyes, which had been made of glass by skilled artisans. Anyone with information about this shooting should contact the Chesterfield County Police Department at 804-748-1251 or Crime Solvers at 804-748-0660 or through the P3 app. By the end of the year, the company hoped to have most of the steam locomotives in its line replaced with diesel-electric ones. In the 1950s, the historic home was often the site of Tuckahoe Garden Club events; estate owner Mrs. H.C.L. Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call police at (804) 646-0712 or Crime Stoppers at (804) 780-1000. Regarding segregation, she suggested that in later years we will find teachers of all races meeting here together.. The cold made clearing the streets difficult, which led to three-hour delays for some commuters. 5710 Midlothian Turnpike; Richmond, VA 23225 (804) 230-1212; publicfile@nbc12.com - 804-230-1212. In November 1950, farmer Ray Welch of Northumberland County used his homemade portable corn elevator. Rain totals generally about a quarter to a third of an inch across metro Richmond. A June 1950 image of Peoples Furniture Store at 514 E. Broad St., where the summer furniture sale included a chaise lounge with mattress for $18.95. RPD responded to the mass shooting at The Belt Atlantic Apartments on Midlothian Turnpike around 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April . Deals included winter coats for $1 for early customers, television sets between $1.98 and $19, and a seven-diamond ring for $39. In September 1958, a Chesterfield County farmer welcomed the sight of rain clouds, though they didnt yield any rain. In early December 1954, Richmond got an early dose of winter, with 2 inches of wet snow and record cold temperatures. The branch featured drive-in windows, walk-up service and a night depository. Shortly before 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 8, officers were called to the 6600 block of Midlothian Turnpike in South Richmond for a reported shooting. During Wednesdays press briefing, Chief Smith said the five females were innocent bystanders who were outside enjoying the nice weather in a large courtyard when the shooting happened. Her father, Roland, was a former radio operator for the city Police Department, which sparked his daughters interest in the hobby. Rain totals generally about a quarter to a third of an inch across metro Richmond. Jan 12, 2023. Randolph, whose efforts focused heavily on vocational education, died in 1958. The program was organized by the city and sponsored by Thalhimers. In November 1950, a multifaith Thanksgiving service was held at Monument Methodist Church, located at Allen and Park avenues in Richmond. In October 1950, Virginia Randolph helped S.O. Here, Autry met 7-year-old J. Harvie Wilkinson III, now a judge on the 4th U.S. In September 1950, Sherry Gilman placed a letter in a barrel-turned-mailbox on Honaker Avenue in Richmond. Richmond endured five days of rain, with an official total of 3.82 inches falling. Casey Hayes delivered a pat to the Thoroughbreds nose. This November 1956 image shows Richmond disc jockey Alden Aaroe, who started in radio in 1938 and landed his signature morning show on WRVA in 1956. In December 1954, actor Paul Douglas was in Richmond to star in a stage production of The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial, and he renewed acquaintances and shared family photographs with local actress and singer Patsy Garrett, a friend from their days in radio. Osterbind was one of several members of his family who worked at Tredegar over the course of four generations. In addition to resurfacing the road after removing the streetcar tracks, a concrete center strip was added along with updated traffic signals, new street lights and walk-dont walk signals. RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) A woman was found dead early Saturday morning after a reported shooting near Midlothian Turnpike in Richmond. Watching the children (from left) were H.F. Taylor, Lions Club president; Joseph Rotella, school principal; and F.M. Tredegar opened in 1837, was a major manufacturing center for the Confederacy during the Civil War and continued as a production facility through most of the 1950s. (The grand opening here was supposed to feature retired Army Gen. Omar Bradley, who was on Food Fairs board of directors, but he instead had to appear as a witness at a trial.). This October 1956 image shows Tobacco Row at Dock Street, where many cigarette manufacturers were located. In late summer 1951, the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway ran its first diesel-powered locomotives through Richmond on two of its passenger trains. In April 1951, a couple strolled through the gardens at Shooters Hill in Goochland County. The cost of supplying water to all three was about $500 per year. The man was pronounced deceased at the scene. On April 9, 1955, the Boston Red Sox topped the New York Giants, 5-2, in an exhibition game seen by more than 12,600 spectators at Parker Field in Richmond. In September 1952, Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower was on a whistle-stop tour of Virginia and North Carolina in his campaign for the presidency. The photo accompanied a Capital Sidelights column by Charles McDowell Jr. that promoted the sunset views from the hill. The fire caused $100,000 in damage and displaced Nathans tailor shop and the DeJarnette & Paul insurance agency. Shields Lake was a whites-only public swimming facility that was closed in 1955. Wiltshire, 85, prepared for spring planting at her home on Patterson Avenue in Richmond. In March 1950, four girls played jump-rope in a Richmond city park. Limited appointments are available to qualifying patients due to high demand. RICHMOND, Va. Three men have been arrested in connection with Tuesday's shooting at The Belt Atlantic apartments on Midlothian Turnpike that claimed the life of a young mother and her 3 . For several decades in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Fonticello Lithia water company advertised the medicinal properties of the spring water and sold it bottled starting at 20 cents per gallon. Father Andrew (from left), Benedictine's principal, inspected Maj. Wesley Rhodes in the old West Point style top and Col. Alfred Moss in the new, shorter Eisenhower jacket. Some felt that flower vendors at the Sixth Street market, as pictured here, should not have to pay as much tax, but city officials saw no way under the law to charge them less. RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) Three men have been arrested in connection with Tuesdays shooting at The Belt Atlantic apartments on Midlothian Turnpike that claimed the life of a young mother and her 3-month-old daughter, and sent three additional victims to the hospital. In March 1952, Mrs. V.C. From left are guard Frank Boxley, center Fred Poss (in front), quarterback Dave Woolwine, end Wendell Shay, back Charlie Lavery and backfield coach Clark King. The road was being widened for divided lane traffic in the block between Bevridge Road and Roxbury Road. This land today houses part of the parking deck for The River Lofts apartments. City leaders are urging anyone with information to come forward by calling (804) 780-1000. The popular diner, located along the Corner in the heart of the University of Virginia, was opened in 1953 by Paul Dunsmore. In March 1959, employees of the Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles on West Broad Street in Richmond prepared for an onslaught of customers before doors opened for business. In July 1959, Phyllis Grove (from left), Alta Strickland and David Fridley analyzed cigarette smoke using a gas chromatograph at Philip Morris in Richmond. The next year, it was turned over from the Glenwood Farms Civic Association to Henrico County. Tactical Gun Shops in Midlothian on YP.com. RPD cruiser involved in crash at Midlothian and Roanoke. In July 1950, an employee of Richmond optician J.S. Sportspage Bar & Grille Midlothian was established at 14245 Midlothian Turnpike in 2003. Police said officers tried to save his life, but were unsuccessful. Rihanna performed various hits including "Umbrella" and "Work" in her halftime show, during which she revealed she is pregnant with her second child. One person died at the scene and another died at a hospital after the 3:15 a.m. shooting at Your Place Sports Bar & Grill at 101 Wadsworth Drive, which is in a shopping center off Midlothian . Mattox showed off her unique mailbox at her home on state Route 35 in Prince George County. In October 1957, U.Va. The vessel, which he used for cruises on the Rappahannock and Chesapeake Bay and for fishing trips, was part of the Richmond-based Flotilla 51, a Coast Guard auxiliary unit. In 1954, the building became The Arena and hosted sporting events, concerts, shows and exhibitions for more than 40 years before being torn down in the late 1990s to make way for Sports Backers Stadium.