Established in 1947 by Bruce and Amy Hodgdon, today, sons JB and Bob have grown Hodgdon Powder Company into the largest US supplier of smokeless, blackpowder and blackpowder substitute propellants. An avid shooter and outdoorsman, George takes pride in the quality custom rifles that G.A. A consistent shooter, Regina has finished in the Top 20 routinely and in the Top 10 quite frequently in both the National Rifle League and Precision Rifle Series. Subscriber Services. In the last several years I have really focussed on the PRS, ELR, and NRL Hunter. Brian spent three years in Spokane as a Zag until his baseball career was cut short by a tragic plane accident that took the lives of his parents and younger sister. I should point out that this type of testing often reveals large differences, so this indicates to me that Hodgdon doesnt inject a bunch of blue sky into its data. On the other hand, while the 22 Nosler still has the flattest trajectory of the bunch with the heavier big game load, the .224 Valkyrie has an even bigger . This prevents the latter from chambering in a gun . The 224 Valkyrie is built to defeat wind drift and drop, and the 60-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint maximizes these built-in ballistics with a sleek, thin-jacket, polymer-tipped bullet. Accuracy is erratic, too. This is particularly critical to achieving clean, concentric bullet seating. Doubling that will come close to including practice rounds spent at his one-of-a-kind shooting range he built on the edge of the Snake River Canyon. Introduced by Federal in 2017 and approved by SAAMI in 2018, the new 224 Valkyrie has been quickly adopted by long-range shooters. This time it was Federal's turn to try their hand at it. 300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum (SAUM) 308 Norma Magnum. Although her family hobby was horse shows and barrel racing, her father introduced her to USPSA in high school. We are engineers, reloading enthusiasts and operate one of the most powerful ballistics calculators. I absolutely love Sierra bullets, but in this case dont bother with the 90-grain MatchKing. As a result, the .224 Valkyrie feeds comfortably from AR magazines with long-range bullets that must be single-fed into .223/5.56 AR-15 rifles. It is developed to mimic the long-range ballistics of the popular 6.5 Creedmoor, but in a smaller package, with the attendant reduction in recoil and implementation costs. At Hodgdon, weve been researching this cartridge since before its introduction and are excited to release load data for the Valkyrie featuring powders like Hodgdon CFE 223, IMR 8208 XBRand Hodgdon Varget. The Judge has been promoted! All of them are asking their parents for shotshell presses now. Growing up, Brian spent very little time indoors, with his passions being split between baseball and spending time in either the river, the desert, or the mountains. Using computer ballistics software, one can easily compare the new 224 Valkyrie to other long-range cartridges. While new load data will continue to be updated, there is currently data for 80 different loads with bullet weights ranging from 50 to 90 grains from Federal, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra and . Ryan has volunteered for HAVA and Freedom Hunters events getting wounded vets into competition and/or hunting. Facing off in a handgun challenge featuring the smallest professional-grade enclosed red dot sight on the market, Eric and Tom put the Acro P-2 to the distance test by doing a walk-back challenge. 100% of all my handloads are done withHodgdonbrands. These loads should be considered MAX loads so be sure to back off . All Rights Reserved. Even though the 224 Valkyrie is hot off the press, excellent cases are already available from Federal and Starline. DAI METER: 0.224" * 88 E. LgDr . Maximum overall length is 2.260 inches. Stocky's Owner Don Bitz walks David Faubion through the company's new rifle stocks for 2023. In addition, just out is a new match load from Hornady. Any thoughts? In the slam-bam world of ARs, I like to have the bullets seated to achieve the maximum contact with the case, so I seated the lighter bullets to the base of the case neck. No reviews found. In essence, the extractor heaves back on the case rim whilst the case walls are still firmly gripping the chamber walls. SET YOUR SIGHTS ON PISTOL RELOADING DATA Find what you need in four easy steps. Please enter your login details below. Phillip has attended all follow-on formal Scout Sniper courses, having graduated with honors and recognized as High Shooter from all. To be able to use the full range of Shopware 6, we recommend activating Javascript in your browser. Dies were from RCBS, and the proper RCBS shellholder is No. I plan on using 90 grain load data and starting right at the bottom. My name is Robert Brantley and I have been obsessed with precision rifle since 2007. Federal lists four factory loads for the 224 Valkyrie: a varmint load with the Nosler 60-grain Ballistic Tip; an American Eagle 75-grain TMJ load for inexpensive "blasting"; a Gold Medal Match load that shoots the sleek Sierra 90-grain MatchKing; and a Fusion 90-grain softpoint load for hunters. Todd is also a sought-after firearms instructor for military, law enforcement, and competitive shooters around the world. During his time, Phillip completed 4 overseas deployments and served in all billets available to a Scout Sniper, to include Scout Sniper Team Leader, Chief Scout Sniper, and Scout Sniper Instructor. Eric Poole and Tom Beckstrand test the Aimpoint Acro P-2 against one of red dot sights' biggest myths: distance. We know who we are and being true to yourself allows you to become the best at what you do. In 2016, she plans to lead a delegate of women to Capitol Hill in an effort to give legislators a face to put with gun owners. If I had to choose just one propellant for the .224 Valkyrie, it would be CFE-223. Designed to rival the .22 Nosler while still running well in ARs, the new .224 Valkyrie offers excellent long-range performance when loaded with modern, high-BC bullets. | Chad is also the Director of Advertising & Media Relations for CVA Muzzleloaders, PowerBelt Bullets, Bergara USA, DuraSight Rings and Bases, Quake Industries and Konus Optics. Twenty-five grains of Alliant Power Pro Varmint and 26.5 grains of Accurate 2520 grouped less than an inch at velocities ranging from 2,756 to 2,904 fps, respectively. New customer? A healthy dose of Hodgdons CFE-223 powder drives it out the 20-inch J.P. Enterprises barrel of my custom 2A Armament AR-15 at a fraction more than 3,400 feet per second (fps), and its actually the single most accurate handload Ive tried. The heaviest Nosler factory load is its 85-grain RDF hollowpoint, whereas Federal offers two 90-grain Valkyrie loads: Fusion MSR 90-grain spitzer boattail and 90-grain Sierra MatchKing. She has competed on the TV series, 3 Gun Nation as well as an upcoming show called The Big Gun on Sportsman Channel, airing in Q1 2016. Mar 28, 2021. In 1999, George opened GA Precision after apprenticing with three gunsmiths. On the flip side, Precision Rifle Series (PRS) shooters using 28-inch barrels in match guns will experience upgraded performance. Do Pistols Benefit From Popular Aftermarket Modifications? Access the .224 Valkyrie Data via Hodgdon's Reloading Data Center. Thats still a durned long ways for an AR-15 cartridge, but its not 1,300. Rifle Data. When Wyatts not hunting or fishing he loves competing in rodeos and roping off of his horse, General. Federal advertises the load at 2900 feet/second. For nearly two decades, Missouri-based CMMG has focused on building affordable, high-quality AR rifles. She has been named as a co-host on Shooting Gallery on the Outdoor Channel. He also placed second in the World Elk Calling competition. Shes also the co-director of her local club, the AZ LRPRS, assisting in facilitating monthly matches throughout the year. INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD USE WITH CAUTION Ri e Data 224Vea lki yr 30 . The .224 Valkyrie is the most recent result of the continuing quest to wring more power and range from the AR-15 platform than provided by the original .223 Remington 5.56mm NATO chambering. Its explosive expansion provides a violent energy release on impact for quick kills on varmints and predators. It does this while maintaining a pleasant shooting demeanor. However, Federals designers submitted the .224 Valkyrie to SAAMI the governing body that approves and publishes standardized cartridge specs with a twist rate of 1 turn in 7 inches. Chris Johnson, FN Senior Product Manager, walks us through two new FN striker-fired pistols at SHOT Show 2023: the FN 510 Tactical, chambered in 10mm Auto, and the FN 545 Tactical, chambered in .45 ACP. 2000-MR. A longtime resident of Virginia, Todd competes in over 16 different shooting disciplines (to include USPSA, 3-Gun, Steel Challenge, IDPA, Olympic Rapid Fire, Shotgun Shooting Sports). has a 23-degree shoulder) begins at 1.389", as opposed to the .223 Remington's 1.438". 224 Valkyrie Web Data 1.21.21.xlsx Author: carterc1 Created Date: 1/21/2021 3:04:40 PM . Currently Jake has over 65 top three podium finishes in the last four years, another record! I think thats about right with the .224 Valkyrie. Plus, the gunpowder sits in a shorter, fatter column, enabling in theory a slightly more consistent burn. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. It will give you something to do, but won't get you anywhere. #1. It is made by necking up the .22 Nosler case, setting the shoulder back and shortening the overall case length from 1.750 inches to 1.600 inches. Reviews can only be submitted while being logged in. She has also competed for the USA in two Pan-American Shotgun matches and the 2015 IPSC World Shotgun Ladies team that brought home gold! Trophies, victories, livestheres too much at stake for second thoughts or second chances. The SCAR 15P is chambered for 5.56 NATO and, with its 7.5-inch barrel, is the most compact SCAR to date. The 224 Valkyrie case is based on the 6.8 Remington SPC, necked down to .22 caliber. Please enter your login details below. models. The most recent new cartridge for . Then a light flashed in the dim recesses of my mind. Subscribe to the free newsletter and do not miss any news or promotions. Here is some data for the 60 Nosler BT, and the Sierra 90 SMK _____ Worrying is like a rocking chair. In addition, she is also an outdoor writer and photographer, as well as a national seminar speaker. The new-for-2023 lineup includes ultralight hunting stocks and a VGA 2-pound adjustable vertical-grip stock. All loads functioned perfectly through the magazine at the COLs shown in the chart. (speaking to AR mag length loading) Edit: Case capacity (velocity) for: .223 is 31.4g (3370fps) .224V is 34.5g While Federal isnt loading those, you can. Sign up with your email address to receive news and updates. Its parent case is the 6.8 SPC which was based off the .30 Remington cartridge. Sierra Bullets Load Data for .224 Valkyrie (Partial Sample) The new .224 Valkyrie was introduced late last year as a Hot Rod cartridge that will work in AR15s. Zach, a resident of McCook, Nebraska, started shooting trap and hunting when he was 10. A charge of 25.5 grains of Shooters World Match Rifle clustered .76-inch at 3,110 fps. Dianna has been highlighted by the NRA in American Warrior, the Washington Post and NRA Women. She helps organize and coordinate Arizonas own national level event, the Tactical Precision Rifle Challenge. Give a Gift Fun to shoot and flinging fairly heavy 224 bullets is fun too. If I were going to war with prairie dogs, Id rely on the Nosler 55-grain Ballistic Tip over 26.3 grains of IMR 8208 XBR. Ryan and Dianna continue to not only compete, but train and film all over the country. Caliber: .224 Valkyrie. Never assume load data. Phillip is also well known as a nationally ranked precision rifle competitor in the Precision Rifle Series and National Rifle League circuits. Facing off in a handgun challenge featuring the smallest professional-grade enclosed red dot sight on the market, Eric and Tom put the Acro P-2 to the distance test by doing a walk-back challenge. 300 Savage. While new load data will continue to be updated, there is currently data for 80 different loads with bullet weights ranging from 50 to 90 grains. The Nosler 60-grain Partition liked 24.5 grains of Benchmark for 3,078 fps and a 0.71-inch group average. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. Before I start on an extensive loading program, I like to do a couple of things to get a feel for the round, the rifle, and the data. 223 Rem. Any way I crunched the data, at factory advertised velocities in standard, sea-level atmospherics, the projectile went transonic at approximately 1,200 yards. About Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. As with all cartridges, velocity and performance is reduced when using shorter barrels. For us, thats building the most innovative, most accurateand most effectivebullets and ammunition in the industry. rifle.204. Believe me, you dont want your bolt slamming home on a too-long case and camming halfway into battery before sticking fast. Considering the eyebrow-raising advertised factory ballistic figures, who can blame them? [4] See also [ edit] 5 mm caliber List of AR platform cartridges It typically provides top-shelf velocities and excellent accuracy across a vast span of bullet weights. Since opening GA Precision, George has been building some of the finest precision bolt guns and custom rifles. Medium-long, 20-inch AR barrels such as my J.P. Enterprises tube drop roughly 100 fps; short 16-inchers lose up to 200 fps. He put both rounds in the same hole. .224 Valkyrie reloading data with 160 loads. Chris Johnson, FN Senior Product Manager, walks us through two new FN striker-fired pistols at SHOT Show 2023: the FN 510 Tactical, chambered in 10mm Auto, and the FN 545 Tactical, chambered in .45 ACP. Did you ever think youd be shooting 90-grain bullets in a .22-caliber round? All bullets except the Sierra 90-grain MatchKing varied only about 0.7 percent. While firearms manufacturers list 224 Valkyrie rifles with various barrel lengths, reports from serious experimenters indicate the 224 Valkyrie shoots all bullets best in a 24-inch barrel, and Hodgdons load and pressure data were developed in a test barrel of that length. Due to the Valkyries newer status, nearly all load data involves modern, temperature-insensitive propellants with cleaner burning properties and/or copper-erasing agents. The new big bore pistols feature industry-first capacity, with a standard 15-round capacity and 22+1 rounds of 10mm or 18+1 rounds of .45 ACP from the extended magazines. The .224 valkyrie should be a better choice with heavier bullets since it is shorter and will allow longer OAL with the longer bullets. ABOUT MARSHA: Marsha is the co-host of Shoot Straight with Chad & Marsha and is a Licensed Montana Professional Guide. Here you will find load data for some of the most recent cartridges on the market, with more being added frequently. Impact energy and wind-bucking ability aside, the .224 Valkyrie provides ballistics that nip at the heels of the uber-popular 6.5 Creedmoor but it doesnt require stepping up to an AR-10 (assuming you are a precision-semiauto kind of guy). Share your experiences with other customers. Zach started attending national shoots in 2018, including Junior Worlds, Junior Olympics Nationals, and USAYESS Nationals. We use cookies to make your experience better. Sign up with your email address to receive news and updates. The Nosler is designed for 1:8 twist barrels, whereas the Valkyrie has a 1:7 twist for stabilizing larger bullets. As noted by Sierra, the 90-grain SMK is designed to stabilize in rifling twist rates of 1 turn in 6 inches or faster. 223 Win. He is also a noted TV personality, regularly appearing on TV programs Shooting USA. 243 Win. Then select your bullet weight, powder manufacturer and powder type. Benchmark and Varget also performed admirably, as did H414 and Ball-C(2). However, it is important to note that one cannot just seat each and every bullet to that length without some problems, so I had to do some adjusting of COLs with some bullets. Do Pistols Benefit From Popular Aftermarket Modifications? 224 Valkyrie is all about pushing heavy high-BC bullets to crazy-long ranges with an AR-15, or even a bolt gun. No part of the landscape, from pop cans to squirrels, was immune to a 10 round burst from a Ruger. Brian Neace grew up in Southern Idaho in the Snake River Plain, surrounded by miles and miles of high desert to the north and bordered on the south by public wilderness. Ruger's multi-role small frame autoloading rifle - Sear - combines AR-10 power with AR-15 Portability. The new 9mm suppressor can mount easily to any pistol barrel threaded x28 inches and doesn't compromise on sound suppression, gas blowback or recoil. A devoted husband and father, Jake has formal degrees in sports medicine and youth ministry. I set a Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-12.5x 42mm scope in Precision Hardcore Gear Black Opps 30mm rings for testing. Posted: 3/5/2011 9:01:26 AM EST [#6] Smart guy, that's one . Nosler bullets are'nt cheap and to get maximum performance I want maximum information. For 224 Valkyrie, I started working with a mid-weight bullets (Nosler 70 grain RDF), and have been working my way up in weight- and hope to top out at about 95 grains. When introduced, the .224 Valkyrie sent a tsunami of interest washing through shooters. I have visited this lab, and it is highly sophisticated. The .224 Valkyrie (5.641 mm) [5] cartridge is a .22 caliber (5.6 mm) rimless bottlenecked intermediate rifle cartridge, developed by Federal Premium Ammunition to rival the performance of the .22 Nosler, while still being compatible with modern sporting rifles (MSRs). This resulted in COLs shorter than 2.26 inches for some bullets, even the longer ones, but most bullets worked fine at 2.26 inches. The 224 Valkyries body diameter is the same as the 6.8 SPCs, so 6.8 SPC magazines are required for the Valkyrie. Ive seen shooters pounding on their charging handles in an attempt to eject stuck reloads. Be the first to share your insights. 6 Comments. Phillip Velayo currently serves as Gunwerks Long Range University Lead Instructor. All powders used were either ball-type or fine stick powders that meter consistency through progressive-press throwers, allowing smoother volume loading. Other super-slinky bullets come in weights of 75, 77, 80, and 88 grains, with correspondingly high BCs, and it is important to note that heavy hunting bullets also are now available. The change is infinitesimal but in this case it was enough. Address: xxl-reloading.com, Gartenweg 9, 83661 Lenggries, Germany. The new kid on the block as of 2017, 224 Valkyrie has earned high praise right out of the gate as one of the best AR-platform calibers out there. The only load the Ranier did okay wit h was the 23.5 8208 load. Reloading data is available as low as 99 per cartridge or as a subscription for $19.99. Eric Poole and Tom Beckstrand test the Aimpoint Acro P-2 against one of red dot sights' biggest myths: distance. Ryan still has a passion for hunting, but 3-gun gives Ryan and wife Dianna the opportunity to travel together and compete with and against amazing people. The Barnes TSX BT shot fine with either H414 or CFE 223, with the latter powder giving over 3,000 fps. The shoulder angle remains the same at 30 degrees, as does the cartridge overall length at 2.260 inches. Thats important for high-volume shooting. Meet the all-new Taurus Judge Executive Grade, a revolver featuring a hand-polished satin finish, presentation-grade wood grips, a brass rod front sight and an exceptional hand-tuned trigger. This spherical propellant yields top velocities in many cartridges such as the 204 Ruger, 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO, 22-250 Remington and the 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO, plus many, many more. The rim of the 224 Valkyrie is the same diameter (0.422 inch) as the 6.8 SPCs. * All prices incl. A Luth-AR buttstock with adjustable LOP and comb height and 15-inch M-Lok forend were added. Address: xxl-reloading.com, Gartenweg 9, 83661 Lenggries, Germany. 204 ruger.224. I had 2 of this load leftover and allowed an older gentleman at the range try out my Valkyrie since he was interested in it. Once-fired Starline brass held an average of 30.7 grains of water, filled to the rim and with a spent primer in place, compared to 31.7 and 31.1 grains average for once-fired Federal brass and nickel-plated cases resulting from once-fired factory ammunition. In just five years, he has earned an impressive shooting resume with consistent top finishes at national level events. However, the .224 Valkyrie has one other apparent flaw that didnt emerge immediately. Velocity was 3,213 fps, and group size averaged 0.47 inch. The company distributes gunpowder under the Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester and Goex brands. In her free time, she shoots in NRL22 club matches around the Kansas City area, where she lives with her husband Shane and where she works as a pharmacist. Apr 6, 2019 #10 S SJB358 Ballistician Dec 24, 2006 31,447 876 Dwh7271":3sm7a3c4 said: I really like the cartridge. While new load data will continue to be updated on Hodgdons Reloading Data Center, this new 224 Valkyriedata is available immediately at www.HodgdonReloading.com. The 224 Valkyrie is designed for long-range shooting, whether it be steel or paper targets, varmints, or small- to medium-sized big game. Shorter projectiles, however, must be seated considerably shorter simply to get the base of the bullet far enough into the case mouth to grip it properly and concentrically. From their home in Montana, Shoot Straight with Chad & Marsha follows Chad, Marsha and their two boys-Walker and Wyatt-across the world in hunting adventures. I shot a lot of Sta-Ball 6.5 and it worked well beyond expectations. One is hard pressed to find a nicer person. We use cookies to make your experience better. After taking up competitive shooting in 2016, she, won the Precision Rifle Series Production division in 2017 with her Savage Stealth. JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. Share your experiences with other customers. While I havent tried them, Hodgdons manual lists H414, BL-C(2) and H4895 as providing excellent velocities with bullets in the heavier ranges, and Varget and IMR 8208 XBR for lighter projectiles. For example, Federals 224 Valkyrie factory ammo is loaded with the new Sierra 90-grain MatchKing. The G1 BC of this bullet is .563, which is slightly higher than that of Hornadys 6.5mm 130-grain ELD Match bullet used in the 6.5 Creedmoor. 300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum (SAUM). Select your cartridge type from the drop-down list. Reviews can only be submitted while being logged in. I don't believe the 22 nosler can handle the high BC bullets like the 90g SMK. There have been some top 10 ELR finishes as well but I dont remember the specifics. Suspiciously, I manually overrode the Sierra-provided variable BC numbers, plugging in only the highest, max-velocity BC (G1 BC: .563) listed for the 90-grain projectiles muzzle velocity. This data is available for 80 different loads featuring 50- to 90-grain bullet options (from Hornady, Nosler, Federal, Swift and Sierra) and powders from Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester . When loading for an AR-15, however, youve got to seat projectiles to fit inside AR magazines. NoslerUSA.com INFORMATION Contact Us Order Status Become A Dealer Employment Industry Program STAY CONNECTED Follow us on social media Facebook Instagram Youtube DEALER LOCATOR Find a Nosler dealer near you. Loaded Valkyrie cartridges easily meet, or come in under the 2.26-inch overall loaded length (OAL) threshold dictated by AR-15 detachable magazines, while also delivering more energy at much greater distances. You find 4 loads in caliber .224 Valkyrie with Speer bullets either below or in our load database by clicking the 'Matching Loads' button above. Nevertheless, four bullets had to be seated considerably deeper to avoid sticking a bullet in the barrel throat: the Barnes 70-grain TSX BT, Hornady 70-grain GMX, Speer 70-grain JSP, and Swift 75-grain Scirocco II. All but 2-3 of those are with handloadedammo. Because the CCIs tend to have a slightly harder primer cup, I lean toward them for use in semiautos. There is a silver lining, however. For bolt-action rifles, you can opt to seat bullets out to kiss the rifling leade, which helps center up the cartridge in the chamber and gives the projectile a perfectly straight start into the bore. Regina Milkovich has been the leading female in precision rifle shooting since she first picked up a rifle in 2009. This is where the 224 Valkyrie comes in. To comply with the new e-Privacy directive, we need to ask for your consent to set the cookies. For us, thats building the most innovative, most accurateand most effectivebullets and ammunition in the industry. To comply with the new e-Privacy directive, we need to ask for your consent to set the cookies. Learn more about the brands at these websites www.Hodgdon.com, www.IMRPowder.com, www.WWPowder.com or www.GoexPowder.com and connect with the Hodgdon brand on Facebook or YouTube. I went with 14 instead o 15 so I would get a round number! Rifle Data. As you can see on the included handload chart, CFE-223 is a favorite of mine. All Guns and Ammo subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Below are my personal favorite loads for my two 28 Nosler Browning X-Bolt rifles, a Long Range Stainless Stalker with a 1 in 9 twist that my kids named The Black Pearl and a Long Range Gray Laminate with a 1 in 8 twist rate. Select A Caliber or Gauge Below To View Recipes. Rem and 224 Valkyrie loads. The familiar 55-grain bullets are now the lightweights. Remember how the 1:9-inch twist made possible the 69-grain HPBT, and a 1:8-inch twist stabilized 80-grain bullets? In 2015, Ryan and Dianna traveled to over 36 events across the world, including Italy and New Zealand. This, combined with the extremely good BCs of the bullet options discussed earlier, will help you reach way, way out there and realize the full potential of the cartridge. The new RIA 5.0 Sporting Pistol from Rock Island Armory features a patented RVS Recoil system that maximizes barrel mass and linear movement to give shooters super soft recoil. Using bullets from Sierra BlitzKing, Nosler Boat Tail, Swift Scirocco, Sierra Tipped MatchKing, Hornady ELD-Match, Sierra HPBT, Federal Fusion. After trimming to length, chamfer and deburr case mouths. The largest difference with the 90-grain MatchKing was 54 fps (2 percent). The 1:7-inch twist is a more versatile rate and enables the Valkyrie to shoot medium-light bullets well. If predators are your primary focus, I really like Noslers 50-grain Ballistic Tip. ABOUT CHAD: Chad is a world champion elk caller and two-time Eastern US Elk Calling Champion. Make an introduction to Jake and youll instantly receive a big grin and firm handshake. 224 Valkyrie fight! .224 Valkyrie vs 6.8 SPC Some writers have described the Valkyrie as a "scaled down Creedmoor." However, the Valkyrie case is derived from a slightly shortened 6.8 SPC case, necked-down to .22 caliber. Toggle navigation Powder Through. Don't see a load you want to use or want to input your own? Bottom line: There was hardly any difference between my results and the manuals data. Subscribe to the free newsletter and do not miss any news or promotions. Caleb Giddings, Marketing Manager at Taurus, introduces the all-new TaurusTX 22 Compact. Hailing from the Kansas City-area, Jaclyn is a rifle shooter specializing in precision rifle shooting. "Shooting heavier bullets, in an AR-platform rifle, that maintain supersonic speeds beyond 1,300 yards has captured the interest of shooters and handloaders everywhere. Working and enjoying the outdoors were just a normal part of day to day life. One of the virtues of the Valkyrie is that its maximum cartridge overall length (COL) is 2.26 inches so that it will fit in an AR magazine.