When you are away from home, make sure that you put your puppy in a crate, so that you can monitor their behavior with your cats until they are fully socialized. This will help to reinforce the desired behavior. I also use "that'll do" when I think she's over-herding the cat, or "leave it" when he seems like he wants to be left alone. Certain breed groups are more likely to get along with cats than others. This dog breed requires at least one hour of exercise each day; puppies generally need more exercise than this. I'm not sure, but wow, does he love cats. If your pooch is bored, they may resort to herding your cat. Predatory aggression in dogs causes the most difficulty when it comes to peaceful interspecies relationships. Most canine breeds coexist with cats, but what about Border collies and cats are they good with cats? The breeds that are generally sociable and happy to make friends with anyone tend to do best with cats. Use positive reinforcement: Reward your Border Collie when they do not chase or try to herd a cat. In fact, because pugs are such friendly and social dogs, a cat can help keep them company when their humans are away. Height: Standard: 15 inches; miniature: 10 to 15 inches; toy: 10 inches and under, Weight: Standard: 45 to 70 pounds; miniature: 15 to 18 pounds; toy: 5 to 9 pounds, Physical Characteristics: Curly, dense, single-layer coat that may be one of many solid colors, including white, black, gray, brown, and apricot. Youll be happier if you know your new family member will get along with the kitty. All dogs are individuals. . There are varying levels of stimulation to choose from so that you can find the right correction to deter negative or unsafe behavior. When your border collie, for no apparent reason, keeps running away from your cat. Therefore, you need to be on hand so that you react to any unfavorable situation and be sure to reward your pets for every positive behavior. He and my cat like teasing each other and pretend to hate each other-the cat swats him and runs and the dog chases her barking his head off. They now run freely in the apt but are separated again at night just in case. Getting a cat is similar to handing over border collie duties and more responsibility. Because border collies are friendly dogs that enjoy being around other dogs, it will be simple, yetyou have to beconsistent. A natural part of herding is 'nipping' which will not likely be received very well by your cat. Most retain this instinct, and your cat might become a target. Lets quickly look at some pros and cons. Rep the procedure, keep eye contact, and address your border collieby name. They can prevent any chasing and any herding behavior from being attempted. Clear editor. Ive kept them in separate rooms for the first month and fed them on opposite sides of the gate. Copyright 2023 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, All Rights Reserved. The Border Collie, a medium-sized dog at 30 to 45 pounds, possesses a seemingly supernatural amount of energy and stamina a hardiness that was developed when he was required to work all day in. Many Border Collies can thrive with a companion dog, but you have to be very careful with the breed. They are playful, so they might want to bother the cat and play with it, and some cats simply don . Border Collies require a lot of . Separate your border collie from your new cat, but allow them to hear and smell it before fully introducing them. Herding of other animals can be defined in multiple ways, including chasing, nipping, and barking. Whether other animals will enjoy living with a Border is another question. I find it interesting that the cats will choose to stay around Birdie and let her hassle them some when they could so easily remove themselves from her presence. In this article, we will explore the reasons why some Border Collies become obsessed with cats. These highly intelligent and loyal dogs are by default gentle around children, other dogs, and even a pet cat or two. With proper training, you can prevent herding behavior and teach your border collie and cat to get on well and treat each other as equals. If he remains calm, reward your canine buddy with praises and high-value treats, such as Blue Wilderness Trail Treats. Being raised with cats will naturally teach them to associate cats with their environment and fellow members of the family. Border Collies are generally known to be very good with cats. Do remember that both cats and dogs have unique personalities and behaviors. Although they don't typically mean to harm other animals, nipping and other herding behavior can injure cats. Are Border Collies good with cats? Despite having a pet gate, you should not allow Border collies and cats to meet for at least three days, if not a full week. To increase your chances of a happy multi-species household, make sure your individual animals' temperaments and personalities are compatible. For example, you may have to actively discourage Border Collies from . This can include going for walks, playing fetch, and training. . If your cat prefers to be left alone, dislikes excessive attention and shows low tolerance for other animals, he probably wont be a good companion for a border collie. Provide plenty of mental and physical stimulation: Make sure your Border Collie gets enough exercise and mental stimulation. It takes a lot of time and works to groom a border collie and a cat. This behavior is inherited from their ancestors, who were used to herd sheep and other livestock. How do you punish a dog for chasing a cat? Learn how to create a happy, healthy home for your pet. They are loyal, patient, and low-key dogs. Long post alert! Some dogs can be challenging and take more work. One thing is for sure this harmonious relationship cannot materialize on its own. As a pack dog, basset hounds are friendly and amicable. It can take more work to introduce a cat to a herding dog than breeds such as working or nanny dogs. At 13 weeks my puppy is full on into herding my three year old male cat. A border collie thats ignored or left on her own too much can become destructive -- to your house and to your cat. Border Collies are medium-sized dogs. Provide plenty of exercises and mental stimulation: A tired and mentally stimulated dog is less likely to engage in problem behaviors like chasing. But only if they are properly socialized and trained from a young age. Let us now take a closer look at how these two animals typically do alongside one another before we move onto some introduction, socialization and training tips. Despite having a pet gate, you should not allow Border collies and cats to meet for at least three days, if not a full week. A Border collie is an avid herder, and so, he may stare at your cat as part of his instinctual herding behavior. No. She sees a dog, she flees to the nearest high place. However, this can lead to the Border Collie becoming more obsessed with cats over time. The cats have trees to get into, there are several gated rooms the cats can go to, and several other places high enough the cats can go to if they want to get away from the dogs. Upload or insert images from URL. They get along fine now and can be left alone with no worries. How much company do Border Collies need? So, it is advised to keep your dog on a leash or in a fenced area when you know that there are cats around. They were primarily bred to hunt and kill small furry animals. Border Collie. It is easier to train a border collie when they are a puppy (as puppies are fast learners), preferably younger than 12 weeks old. On the bright side, Border collies and cats can get along exceptionally well when raised together. After a couple of weeks, I was able to call his attention away from the cats if they were far enough away, but I never trusted him (after the first 2 times when he tried to get them), and he and I lived tethered together. While this is entirely natural for a border collie to do, a cat will not take to it very well. And not all cats and dogs will get along. And some hounds, especially scent hounds, were bred to work closely in packs, so they are usually friendly with other furry family members. Talk to your vet or an animal behaviorist about how to conduct the test and keep the animals safe. However, if you already have a border collie and want to add a cat to the mix, its fine as long as you are ready to put in the work. Intrigued and needing to know this myself, I decided to conduct some research. They do need exercise, but they are not as "high octane" as the border collie. You wouldnt be as concerned if it were just chasing. No hazardous propellants, no residue left behind. Moreover, it is recommended to be consistent with your dog and not to reinforce unwanted behavior. I just adopted a female kitten and she seems fine for the most partwith the dog but my old man seems to be stressed. Hence, it would be best if you taught your Border collie that supervising the whiskered creature is not his job. This isnt to suggest that you cant introduce a cat to your border collie; you can, but the optimal time is when theyre three months old. They are essentially a herding dog, bred for intelligence, stamina and energy. He didn't hurt her but he about hit the ceiling in surprise. However, cats have razor-sharp claws, and they will put up a fight when cornered. Physical Characteristics: Muscular, solid body; domed skull; squarish muzzle; long, floppy ears; perky long tail held upward. I am also the main writer and chief editor here at Pet Educate; a site I created to share everything Ive learned about pet ownership over the years and my extensive research along the way. Tip #4: Facilitate Meet & Greet Using the Pet Gate. Tip #5: Give Your Border Collie a Purpose. Would like another Border if the right one came along. Once the dog starts to take the treat, say leave it and close your hand. Border collies need both physical and mental challenges -- agility courses, training, games of fetch and regular walks or runs. When the dog stops trying to take the treat, reward them with a different treat. A Border Collie is a playful dog that loves running around and playing with its owner. Do Border collies get along well with other pets? How big do Border Collies get? They are typically great with people of all ages and pets of all types, including cats. Your border collie may end up herding or chasing away the cat. In the next section we will look at some practical things that you can do. Regardless, a Border collie may still attempt to gather indoor cats and other smaller pets to exercise his deep innate need. Aggression coming from either animal should not be tolerated. Brodie has been pretty tolerant as well. If your cat and your border collie get along, and your cat likes mischievous fun, they can often have a stimulating time together. Without enough exercise, they may become bored and develop unhealthy behaviors, such as an obsession with cats. If you recall Lassie (a rough collie), you know that collies are lovers, not fighters. Now at 14, she sometimes forgets and starts to stalk Tiger Lily but she never harms her, though I get the feeling she would have been a devil with cats if not for her training as she is a grizzly bear when it comes to small - and not so small furry critters such as squirrels and bunnies. Kittens send him over the top. They should be praised for their excellent performance. She always stops when I tell her to. At best, the Border Collie and rabbit will adore each other and spend lots of time together, while at worst, they will be indifferent to each other, and will ignore each other. Contents show. Make sure that your border collie gets lots of daily exercise; this is essential as this breed requires a lot of activity and movement. If, 12 Top Chihuahua Behavior Problems & Helpful Fix, Are Maltese Good With Kids: 8 Things To Know, 12 Common Dachshund Behavior Problems You Should Know, Do Border Collies Bark a Lot: 10 Reasons They Bark & Controls, 11 Tips On How To Train a Beagle Not To Run Away, How To Potty Train a Shih Tzu In 12 Easy Steps, Are Pugs Good With Kids (8 Pros, Cons & Tips), Why Do Border Collies Bite: 9 Bite Causes & Tips, Are Yorkies Good With Cats: 3 Intro Steps & Benefits, Do Chihuahuas Bite: 10 Bite Triggers & Control Tips, 16 French Bulldog Behavior Problems & Solutions, 8 Common Bichon Frise Behavior Problems & Hacks, 9 Common Pomeranian Behavior Issues & Helpful Tips, 14 Top Benefits Of Regular Exercise For Dogs, Do Pugs Bark a Lot (10 Things That Leads to Barking), 16 Tips On How To Potty Train A French Bulldog Puppy, 9 Reasons For Shih Tzu Licking Paws & Tips, How To Stop Puppy Biting Feet [Explained], Dog Possessive Of Toys With Other Dogs [Explained], Dog Hiding Under Bed And Not Eating [Helpful Tips], Dog Traumatized After Spay [Helpful Tips], New Cat Hiding And Not Eating [Explained], 11 Common Cat Behavior After Shaving & Tips, Border collies can benefit from owning a cat because, Getting your border collie a cat might help him overcome some of his. In fact, my male BC Jes entertains himself daily for hours just trotting circles around my black and white cat Ben, and staring at him. If all else fails, you might want to train your collie using the Mini Educator E-Collar. Not all Border Collies despise cats, some get along with them. Our dogs live in harmony with cats, ducks, horses a potbellied pig and children. Other times, the cat is very sweet and will try to rub up against the BC. I would like to foster a better relationship between them, any tips? Physical Characteristics: Dense smooth or rough coat; long, narrow face; comes in sable and white, tricolor, blue merle, and white. If so, you, Are you worried about a new cat in your house, Does your dog keep running away? Some of the most frequent reasons for obtaining a cat for your border collie are as follows: The following are some of the most prevalent arguments against getting a cat for your border collie: When combining a border collie with a cat, the border collie should be at least 2 to 4months old and the cat must also be at least 2 to 4months old. You should be socializing them at specific times and when you are around to ensure this goes well and to plan. It is advised to use positive training methods to teach the dog appropriate alternative behavior. One of the main reasons why Border Collies may become obsessed with cats is their strong herding behavior. Generally, yes, Border collies can live in harmony with a great number of other animals. How big do Border Collies get? Outside if they run he will chase, but not with the intent to harm. This is why they find it hard to get along with other canines. One of my cats is very doggie and initiates play often with the dogs, 2 of the cats just walk straight through and expect that the dogs will get out of the way, the last one doesn't seem to know that dogs exist. I used to try an split them up when they wrestled, but I gave up a couple months ago. This working farm dog is famous for his intimidating "eye" - a fixed, hypnotic stare as he crouches low and creeps up on the sheep. Despite the fact that the cat does not bother the dog in any manner, the dog always growls with bared teeth at your cat. When a border collie lives with an energetic cat, he or she receives more exercise. This can change day by day, context by context, etc. Border collies were bred initially as sheepdogs, and these highly intelligent dogs love nothing more than to be put to work.