@Scalabrine explains why he thinks Kara Lawson is the best candidate for the Celtics' new head coach: So, if you look at our numbers from last year, we were a poor defensive team and that was my fault as a coach. Assistant coach Winston Gandy then went to the scorers table to inspect the ball where he realized that the ball was, in fact, a men's ball, according to Lawson. Richardson, who was at the top of the press, sprinted all the way back down the court and stole Miles pass, clinching the Duke victory. 7/24/2020 10:30:00 AM. We're going to miss her. Duke allowed 62.2 points per game to rank eighth in the conference and 148th nationally, while its three-point field goal percentage was last in the league and 292nd in the nation. With the three-headed monster of Taylor, Brown and Balogun leading the charge, the Blue Devils have given opposing offenses fits all season and its never in the same way. Its all the small details she takes care of that go unnoticed by the average fan. While defense is a complete team effort and the Blue Devils have shown that the trio of Celeste Taylor, Kennedy Brown and Elizabeth Balogun is the engine to the well-oiled machine. Senior forward Jada Boyd shoots the ball during the game against Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Thursday. This is her first college coaching job, and she had previously said experience would be one of the biggest things she would look for in assistants. The job should be an attractive one considering that the team has high-end youngtalents including All-Stars Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. Cunningham departs Dukes program on the heels of a once-promising season that saw the Blue Devils ranked as high as No. 7 Seed UNC, Donovan Named 2023 Jersey Mike's Naismith HS Girls First Team All-American, Taylor Crowned ACC Defensive Player of the Year, Taylor Tabbed Semifinalist for Naismith Womens Defensive Player of the Year. More:Status remains uncertain for Notre Dame's Olivia Miles heading into ACC Tournament ND went 10 . She's really excited to get going. Then, at halftime, players voiced their concerns to the assistant coaches in the locker room. The independent news organization of Duke University. The coaches were able to evaluate the team to see the pieces they had to solve this puzzle. Duke women's basketball fell in its regular-season finale to rival North Carolina, breaking its season-long home win streak. Before we could ask her to coach us, Lawson did just that. A defensive standout herself at Iowa she still ranks 13th in Hawkeye history in steals Jackson enjoyed finding the best fit for the Blue Devils. Duke's Lawson adds Cunningham among 3 hires. Dedicated to sharing the stories of Duke student-athletes, present and past, GoDuke The Magazine is published for Duke Athletics by LEARFIELD with editorial offices at 3100 Tower Blvd., Suite 404, Durham, NC 27707. The players must trust the coaching staffs belief they can execute the plan. The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. (1:15) Facebook The team then alerted the scorers table of the incorrect ball. As mentioned, Lawson was beloved by the players and helped a lot of them to improve. Taylor, Vanessa We publish premium content that makes you feel Informed, Inspired, Hopeful, 2022-23 All-ACC Women's Basketball Team. Duke announced its nonconference schedule for the 2022-23 season via release. She leads the team and ranks fifth in the ACC in steals while also pacing Duke on offense with 12.9 points, 2.1 assists and 28.1 minutes played per game. We don't always make our goals but that's what were shooting for, said Lawson. Later that season on International Women's Day (March 8) in 2020, Stevens was asked his opinion of Lawson. They don't get affected on the defensive end when they're struggling offensively and that's something that happens to a lot of players, said Lawson after defeating Pittsburgh Feb. 2. Notre Dame won the regular season and claimed the ACC tournament's top seed. If thats not life-stretching wisdom, we dont know what is. 18 UNC in the ACC Tournament quarterfinals at Greensboro Coliseum on Friday. Special Assistant to the Head Coach. There are going to be some weaker defenders out there. There is an urgency for helping the young women in our country become more powerful. We need to be equipped to have the energy levels to handle hard., Senior editor Stacey Lindsay is a multimedia journalist. 2023 Duke Athletics. . MORE:What Stevens'promotion, Ainge's departure meanfor Celtics. Roughly three weeks after head coach Mike Krzyzewski said on a June 30 . The conference and Florida State is saying that it wasn't.". Hearing the consistency and the ownership in games has been a huge change for us. Slipped is relative. We didnt practice it well and it didnt translate well, so that was a big point of emphasis for our entire staff in the offseason.. She came into the WNBA during the 2003 WNBA Draft after a four-year college career at Tennessee. PACK IT UP:NC State women's basketball's quest for 4th straight ACC Tournament title ends vs. Notre Dame. "We have concluded through our investigation that it was a men's ball," Lawson later added." She developed a terrific relationship with the players on the team and as Weiss wrote, she was "missed greatly" after her departure. She was in Australia coaching with USA Basketball during those months and credits the assistants for working closely with the players. But for the first time since retiring at the end of last season, the former FSU head coach will be back at . R.A. LESLIE, By They have formed a team identity by playing consistently on the defensive end of the floor. And will she have a chance to be the NBA's first female coach? And thats what we have at Duke; we have kids who want to be great students and we have kids who want to be great basketball players. They're superwomen. 2022-23 Women's Basketball Coaching Staff. The way to do that is to compete hard with one another.. Its not, We like this defensive set or this type of press, so well install that. You need to take a close look at the personnel involved. I don't know how, but [the video] hit a lot of people where they were. There's something different about a coach from a great boss or even a teacher, she says. The Duke Blue Devils will try to extend their three-game winning streak when they face the Virginia Tech Hokies on Saturday night. A men's ball is 29.5 inches in circumference and approximately 22 ounces, while a women's ball is 28.5 inches in diameter and approximately 20 ounces. "I know the organization thinks she's unbelievable. And Duke coach Kara Lawson earned her first win over UNC a day later. The lethal combination of depth and aggressive defense is what really wears teams out, and Duke has won multiple games by effectively shutting down opposing offenses in the second half. After a season in the WNBA, she entered coaching. In Dukes recent 77-62 victory over N.C. State, Taylor made numerous defensive plays, including a chase-down block on Wolfpack forward Mimi Collins and multiple deflections in the final two minutes of the first half, to swing the momentum onto the Blue Devils side. On Tuesday night, head coach Jon Scheyer 's first Duke basketball team held on to beat the visiting NC State Wolfpack (22-9, 12-8 ACC), 71-67. Follow us on Twitter: DukeWBB & Instagram: dukewbb Follow one of the top Division I women's basketball teams in the nation at the official Facebook page of Duke women's basketball. Kara Lawson patrols the sidelines during Duke's home win Thursday evening against Pittsburgh. Let's take a look. No, she walked into practice and she commanded practice right from the jump. Its you. The presence of it often leads to success. It has been a place that I have held very near and dear to my heart over the years. Duke women's basketball head coach Kara Lawson announced Friday the hiring of Beth Cunningham, Winston Gandy and Tia Jackson as assistant coaches. TAYLOR'S VERSION: Taylor, Balogun lead Duke women's basketball to upset win at No. NC State women's basketball has become accustomed to success in the last few seasons. I think they hire Kara Lawson. Honestly, I think people miss being coached, she tells us over Zoom. ", . You could always kind of see that when she was playing and you could hear it when she was calling games, but to get a chance to live it every day, shes as good as there is. I don't really believe in timelines because I think when you set them, you predestine yourself to meet the timeline, and never be ahead of it, she said Feb. 21. Fast forward one year, and Duke is the No. "I think the world of Kara, Stevens said. Jackson also went to the Women's Final Four as a player . We've got three coaches that are talented enough to run their own programs -- two of them already have - and have great experience recruiting the type of young woman we want at Duke.". Full access to Maria's collection of inspiring weekly essays. She is averaging 1.4 blocks per game, but its not her post-up defense the Blue Devils rely on. The other piece she provides in the halfcourt defense is her ability to rebound. Marisa Moseley. Aside from her numbers, it is the little things that make Taylor invaluable to this group. The team is 23-1 when it keeps opponents under that number, with the lone loss coming 45-41 in Sundays regular-season finale to North Carolina. In short, the game had steep implications for both the conference and NCAA tournament seedings, which Lawson mentioned. Moving You and Humanity Forward. Contact the Coaches; Recruit Info; Recruiting Questionnaire; Stats. Her performance, familiarity with Boston and well-regarded status among the team's players are part of why former Celtic-turned-broadcast-analyst Brian Scalabrine thinks that Lawson may be the right woman for the job. 2023 Duke Athletics. The former WNBA star doesn't have a lot of coaching experience, but she has been involved with the Boston organization and seems to have a good relationship with Brad Stevens. Consistency is where we need to improve: be more consistent defensively, be more consistent offensively, be more consistent on the glass, said Lawson at ACC Tipoff Oct. 11. The official Women's Basketball Coach List for the Purdue University Boilermakers. I struggle with this too, admits Lawson about facing lifes tough sides. Player of the Year: Elizabeth Kitley, Sr., C, Virginia Tech Defensive Player of the Year: Celeste Taylor, Sr., G, Duke Rookie of the Year: Ta'Niya Latson . At first, the table refused to change the ball, but when the head was called over, "he came and looked at it, and he changed the ball," according to Lawson. We See You: Inspiring Women. [2] She led Duke from 1992 until 2007, when she was hired . The truth is, it doesnt get easier, you get in better shape, she says. A best-in-class newsletter that Inspires Hearts and Minds and Moves The independent news organization of Duke University. Offensively, the numbers are similar from a year ago, and there is a legitimate argument to be made that Duke had a more potent offensive team last year. Buoyed by the success theyve had, the players are raising their ability to play fluidly and adapt to any changes being thrown at them by an opponent. Kate Barnosky. UNC used a 10-2 run in the second quarter to take a 24-19 lead into halftime as Balogun's 3-pointer with 8 seconds left in the half ended an 0-for-6 shooting drought for the Devils and cut into an eight-point deficit. McCallie has coached at Duke since. By Steve Wiseman. The conference would not allow me to do that," Lawson said. Kara Lawson is all-in as Duke's women's basketball coach: 'I understand the stakes' Why the hiring of the former WNBA star and Celtics assistant is significant Kara Lawson on leaving the Celtics to become Duke's women's basketball coach | Golic and Wingo Watch on By Sean Hurd July 22, 2020 A nine-hour drive can be an opportunity to reflect. She spent the last eight years as an assistant at Notre Dame. The official Women's Basketball Coach List for the Duke University Women's Basketball Coaches - Duke University Skip To Main Content Pause All Rotators Skip To Main Content. Another goal achieved. When you have teammates that want to win just as badly as you do, it makes things a lot easier, said Taylor after the game. "I have a lot of young minority women that are super intelligent and that can play basketball at a high level. pic.twitter.com/uOqYb7tnFQ. UNC coach Courtney Banghart had no wins in the ACC Tournament before this season. 13 Duke wound up on top with a 44-40 win over No. The Irish were picked to finish fourth this season in an ACC preseason poll of coaches and media. Jackson, Winston In 1974, Duke hired Emma Jean Howard to teach physical education, and to serve as the head coach of the women's basketball and volleyball teams. Hopefully, you had a coach who motivated you along the way, says Lawson. "I think they're going to hire Kara Lawson," Scalabrine said. de Jesus, Ashlon She's always been there for me. But when ACC play hit, Duke could never find its footing. According to Her Hoop Stats, Taylor records a defensive win share of 3.7, meaning that Taylor has produced roughly that many wins for the Blue Devils solely based on her defensive performances. Virginia Tech . During Lawson's tenure, Smart shot 34.7 percent from beyond the arc, the second-highest mark of his career, while attempting a career-high 6.6 shots from 3-point range per game. As the Blue Devils hit the court and weight room over the summer and into early fall, it became apparent the depth, skill and athleticism were all there to run the defensive schemes the coaching staff favored. "I'm not perfect, but I admit when I'm making a mistake, and the mistake was made here and it's a big one.". While the numbers emphasize the improvement on the defensive end, there are some things that they can not explain. She was a part of two of the most successful seasons in Duke history. Duke came in and held FGCU to five threes on 20 attempts, and 25 percent shooting from behind the arc. She held an incredible streak of 14 consecutive 20-point games, the second-longest ever in NCAA Men's or . The ACC Defensive Player of the Year has more than double the amount of steals of any other player on her team, and her sheer commitment to defense is what has impressed Lawson from the start. When she went down to Duke to coach the women's team there I mean, I'm just putting A + B = C to me. During our Sunday Paper editorial meeting this past week, we were all talking about Kara Lawson. View Full Bio. Hes also really, really good at building relationships and really, really good in terms of Xs and Os.. The story of Celeste for us is that if we need something done that's going to change the game from losing to winning, you put Celeste Taylor on the job. And as competition has ramped up so has the play and leadership on the defensive end by the Blue Devils. Although that goal may have seemed unreasonable at the time, it is certainly attainable now ahead of Fridays quarterfinal at the ACC tournament. To have this second coming and be under the leadership of Kara is even more gratifying. It may only be July, but the early portion of Duke and head coach Kara Lawson's upcoming schedule is now clear. Winston is also a very well-rounded coach. Lewis, Reigan Richardson, Shayeann The senior leads the squad with nearly six rebounds per game and picks up one steal per game to go along with a 10.9 points per game average. You don't pass the buck. Becoming arguably the most disruptive defense in the ACC and ranking ninth nationally in field goal percentage defense started with hours in the film room and in practice. "It's very frustrating that [the game] was not treated with the utmost respect that players on both teams deserve," she said. Elzy has hired former Duke and Texas head coach Gail Goestenkors as one of . Pitt women's basketball head coach Lance White in the second quarter of the Virginia Tech-Pitt women's basketball game in Blacksburg Va. Thursday, Dec. 10, 2020. Balogun gives the Blue Devils great versatility on defense. What happens is you handle hard better.. The Blue Devils and the Seminoles both entered Sunday's game in the top 25 nationally (No. Also on the staff will be Tia Jackson, who previously was an assistant at Duke for Gail Goestenkors and has spent the last five years at Miami, and Winston Gandy, who has been at Rice for three seasons. If you really know anything about basketball and as youre watching Xs and Os, its all of her coverage and everything that doesnt involve the simple post-up defense. I thought she was head coaching material withinfive minutes talking with her. Your body can handle the mile better now. Shortly after she came aboard, Stevens spoke well of her during her first NBA Summer League experience. Two years after her retirement from the WNBA in 2015, she became the lead analyst on the Wizards broadcast and remained in that role before she got into coaching. Now with the Blue Devils in the thick of conference action the numbers have understandably dropped a touch, but Lawson and the Blue Devils are excited to meet the challenge of ACC play night in and night out. I'm really looking for improving defensive points per possession.. Last season, Duke finished the year with a 17-13 overall record and 7-11 mark in conference play. The conference office considers this matter to be closed and will have no further comment.". It truly is remarkable that the team has come this far, so what are the key factors that have contributed to this turnaround? Eat well. Jackson, Elizabeth Hes coming from academically intense institution as well. I think thats really really key, being connected and trusting each other. South Carolina's last game was a 66-59 victory over No. The women's athletic department . You have to have player buy-in to play good defense, said Lawson. Lawson added that since Sunday's game, the ACC has instituted a rule change where players have to confirm the correct ball during the captain's meeting prior to tip. You handle hard better. Koabel, Kennedy Something special is brewing in Durham in 2023 and its fun to watch. It certainly seems that the two have a good relationship and Stevens thinks highly of Lawson. But this all still applies to life. Head Coach. Lawson has long been involved with professional basketball. It is undeniable that the offense will need to improve for the Blue Devils to do some damage in March. 6 N.C. State LOST IN THE FOREST: Shorthanded Duke men's basketball falls on the road to Wake Forest in return to . She returned to her alma mater in 2012 as an assistant to Muffet McGraw and was a part of the 2018 national championship team among her five Final Four appearances with the Irish.