At first in wood and later made from bakelite, these are the grips which we typically see on the Enfield Revolvers. Photo notes: British Prime Minister Winston Churchill examines the new Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk 1 rifle during a visit to the 53rd Division in Kent, England, 20 November 1942. All Rights Reserved. Employees and agents of Publishers Development Corp. are not eligible. Here's a rough yearly range, as normal, there are some guns where the date marking on the frame is earlier or later than the inspector date on the barrel. I thought the spur less mn1* didn't start until 1938. $1.50. The term "Enfield Revolver" is not applied to Webley Mk VI revolvers built by RSAF Enfield between 1923 and 1926. It is one of 2500 out of 25,000 made by BSA. Why I say the British almost got my sixgun right is its little .38 cartridge. Bottom of grips: No idea . Bore Condition: . Item Number: PR40212. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. Yours falls into the category of having a low serial number and one of 917,000 produced. Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: American Handgunner Magazine, GOM May/June 2023, P.O. The Enfield Number 2 Mk I Revolver, a development of the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield, was standard issue for the British Army beginning in 1931. Thanks for the tips! L43A1 7.62mm Machine Gun, variant of L7, used on the Scorpion as a ranging gun. From $39.95. We sell many hard to find obsolete gun parts for rifle shotgun pistol revolver gunsmith repair. [7] My Enfield must have been sighted for the .38/200 Mk I load because it hits to point of aim with the above handload. It's a delightful little revolver with break-open function and a double-action trigger mechanism. Bren gun mk2. What should I mark down for insurance value? Description. Manufacturer: RSAF Enfield Model: #2 MK 1 Serial Number: Z39XX Barrel Length: 5.5 inches Condition: Good Metal Condition: Good Wood Condition: Good Bore Condition . After all, that's why we had butt marking discs. The 12 month average price is $460.64 used. It just reminded me that I still have other stuff in the safe. Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: American Handgunner Magazine, GOM DIY 2022, P.O. There is a cleaning rod pocket inside the holster. My 1-20 tin to lead alloy makes them drop right at 200 grains so its easy to duplicate the Brits initial .38/200 lead bullet load with a charge of 2.0 grains of Bullseye or Titegroup. A very collectable rifle indeed, but by no means rare. 2 MkI could be used far more effectively than the bulkier and heavier .455 calibre Webley revolvers that had been issued during World War I. Here is a simple shadow board depicting the 4 most common Enfields. We offer a 7 day inspection period and hassle free returns to ensure every customer is happy with whatever they buy from us. The demand of new ENFIELD NO 2 MK I pistol's has risen 1 units over the past 12 months. Two ** marking on frame for ID SMLE Winchester sniper. Box 1926, Escondido, CA 92033. The Enfield No. I myself could not even hazard a guess on a price. These were replaced on wartime revolvers with checkered wood and molded bakelite. Parts List. The handgrips were made of wood. AN ENFIELD NO2 MK 1 pistol is currently worth an average price of $460.64 used . JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. The demand of used ENFIELD NO 2 MK I pistol's has fallen 2 units over the past 12 months. To make an offer please complete the form below: Minimum price for the offer must be greater than or equal to $0. When inspecting your rifle and comparing marks with reference sources, be careful not to confuse date marks, or "private view marks", with inspectors marks, which usually carry the factory identification, e.g., "E" for Enfield, under the sovereign's crown, below which is the inspector's identification number; usually two figures such as "39". [8] Rather than adopting it, the British authorities took the design to the Government-run Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield, and the Enfield factory came up with a revolver that was very similar to the Webley Mk IV .38, but internally slightly different. It is a fairly close copy of the Webley & Scott revolvers. No3 Mk1 numbers 50800 - 88683. Most likely was designed to fire the .38 S&W but with a 200gr bullet. Dukes Enfield No. The vast majority of Enfield No2 MkI revolvers were modified to MkI* during World War II, generally as they came in for repair or general maintenance;[10] It is believed that the reason was that the MkI* version was cheaper and faster to manufacture and allowed for far quicker training. I enjoy shooting my No.2 Mk1. Interestingly, its barrel is oddly shaped: flat on the sides, rounded beneath and with a full-length rib on top. Bear in mind that the No. Many argue that the real reason was that the change simplified and sped up production. 1 well) 1929, 1, 42, 52, 177 & 188 1930, 489 to 3965 Enfield No2 Recoil Plate & Screw Our Price: $24.50 . Despite the fact that it was the first revolver adopted by . The vast majority of Enfield No 2 revolvers were made by RSAF (Royal Small Arms Factory) Enfield, but wartime necessities meant that numbers were produced elsewhere. British WWI Robbins of Dudley Push Dagger Leather Scabbard. I have a second gen Colt SAA cavalry 7 1/2 in barrel in 44-40. 1916 Luger. [8] Its deep rifling would allow firing of slugs of between .449 and .476in (11.4 and 12.1mm) diameter. 2 Mark 1 revolver was developed at the Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield, England from 1926 1927. Their action was contested by Enfield, who stated that the Enfield No 2 Mk I was actually designed by Captain Boys (the Assistant Superintendent of Design, after whom the Boys Rifle was named) with assistance from Webley & Scott, and not the other way aroundaccordingly, their claim was denied. This website uses cookies for functionality, analytics and advertising purposes as described in our. L42A1 7.62mm Sniper Rifle, conversion of .303 No. This thing has horrible trigger pull. That's the Enfield No. The new model became the Magazine, Lee Enfield Mk1 or MLE Mk1 in 1895. [3] The authorities began a search for a double-action revolver with less weight and recoil that could be quickly mastered by a minimally trained soldier,[4] with a good probability of hitting an enemy with the first shot at extremely close ranges. I am, however, having a bit of trouble working out the rifle's history. There are now 25 states with so-called Constitutional carry and Florida appears to be approaching permitless carry, which translates to more citizens Had Dick Casull listened to the experts of the time the .454 Casull would never have arrived. When reference is made to an all matching SMLE the serial numbers must all be the same. By way of compensation, however, the Royal Commission on Awards to Inventors awarded Webley & Scott 1,250.[12]. Purchase A PDF Download Of The American Handgunner Magazine Nov/Dec 2017 Issue Now! No substitutions or transfers to a third party are allowed. No purchase necessary. you can get the place of original mfgr , as to deployment there are a few markings put on in service that sometimes help but mostly not . Quote; For sale is an Enfield No.2 MK I double-action revolver in .38 S&W. Thats a 260-grain bullet at 650 fps! Here's a rough yearly range, as normal, there are some guns where the date marking on the frame is earlier or later than the inspector date on the barrel. Product #: PDF0090 Part Key: 0. [1][2] While the .455 had proven to be an effective weapon for stopping enemy soldiers, the recoil of the .455 cartridge complicated marksmanship training. by argshistory. Download URL for manual installation. Left side of trigger: No idea Pix 7. [10] They were top-break single- or double-action,[8] and fitted with lanyard rings. R. Enfield Mk II (not No.2) Reese Williams; 13 d ago; 8. 7. 1943 Enfield No4 Mk1 T Sniper.303 British Rifle Serial Number: H35570 Holland & Holland Sniper Conversion . NO 2 MK1* ENFIELD w/pics. Since the trigger has to do the work of pulling back the hammer as well as firing, it takes considerably more finger pressure to fire this gun. Every week we put items for sale starting at $1 ! Click Here to view our Gunbroker page! Approximately 97% original finish. Enfield Revolver RSAFNo.2 Mk.I It is one of 75,000. Ebook's Content. . If you don't have an account, create one here. Can't see anything on guns of ww1 vintage or older. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. Another inconsistency is that it has a grey Parkerized finish, as opposed to the black Suncorite finish which the British applied to these revolvers during WWII. It has matching numbers throughout, but appears all serial numbers were re-worked and also stamped with a 'CPJ' marking, though we could not find the significance of this marking through research. Market monitoring: Enfield No2 MK 1 Revolver Advertisement: But one time with one handgun the Brits almost got things right. 2 MK1 .38 S&W caliber revolver. Very collectable in its own right but still not rare. Oh, heck, they almost never get things right. 2 Mk I .38 was manufactured in 1936 and is marked R.A.F. Did it fly in a Spitfire? Thanks form being patient with me, the enfield rookie I am! All serial numbers are matching. For official references, usually the finished and issued rifle was tracked by its rack number and of course these records have long since been destroyed or lost forever. Your rifle,even with your 252 serial number does not mean it is pretty rare. However, when factoring in replacement of the . Most of our products are unique. The plastic grips were thought an improvement at the time. [15] When used in the manner in which British forces trained (rapid double-action fire at very close ranges), the No 2 MkI* is at least as accurate as any other service pistol of its time, because of the relatively light double-action trigger pull. by bambach. The bullet had a velocity of 625 feet per second and had about the same performance as the .38 Long Colt. This double-action only revolver has matching numbers on the frame, cylinder, and barrel with the metal retaining about 98-99% of a wartime phosphate finish having a noticeable turn-ring around . At left is a Winchester factory round 1943 No.4 Mk1* Enfield Rifle (82 picture virtual tour) Observations: The rifle displayed in the photo pictorial is stamped U.S. Property, un-issued and all matching serial numbers, with all components and markings correct as on the day it left the factory. The Howard Auto Cultivator Company (HAC) in New South Wales, Australia tooled up and began manufacturing the Enfield No 2 Mk I* and I** revolvers in 1941, but the production run was very limited (estimated at around 350 or so revolvers in total), and the revolvers produced were criticised for being non-interchangeable, even with other HAC-produced revolvers. ENFIELD No.2 Mk1. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. There were more than 317,000 Mk I MLE rifles produced and nearly 600,000 Mk I* MLE rifles. It was the standard British/Commonwealth sidearm in the Second World War, alongside the Webley Mk IV and Smith & Wesson Victory Model revolvers chambered in the same calibre. Albion Motors in Scotland made the Enfield No 2 Mk I* from 1941 to 1943, whereupon the contract for production was passed onto Coventry Gauge & Tool Co. By 1945, 24,000[19] Enfield No 2 Mk I* and Mk I** revolvers had been produced by Albion/CG&T. Buymilsurp.com Enfield No2 MK1** .38 Revolver Mfr by Albion - INFO ONLY NOT FOR SALE P17-10 Enfield No2 MK1** .38 Revolver Mfr by Albion Date Acquired: Caliber: .38 Purchase Price: Finish: Blued Bore Condition: VG-EXC Barrel Length: 5" Stock Condition: G-VG some mars Type: Revolver Metal Condition: EXCELLENT Serial #: C25XX Markings: Top of barrel CAL-38, Right side above grips Albion No2 . Just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War, British authorities became concerned that the soft unjacketed lead bullet used in the 380/200 might be considered as violating the Hague Convention of 1899 governing deforming or 'explosive bullets'. Very nice Colt Rebelpan. All guns have a story to tell, some are just more interesting than others. But then I was about the only officer in the Battery who had any interest in small arms. Reloading data is provided for information only. This is not to say that Enfield serial numbers provide no information or that they are not an interesting subject. Prizes will not be awarded if illegal in jurisdiction of winner(s). The .455-inch cartridge used by the Webley revolvers was actually 0.441 inch (11.2 mm) and the design reflected the experience of the colonial wars. Sort by: Show Available. 7 day inspection period on all website purchases. All it took was a little cleaning and it works great. 2 revolvers remained in service until well into the 80's. Posted: 5/8/2014 7:50:27 AM EST. Once for fun I set a surplus US army helmet on a fence post and popped it with one of those 200-grain loads. lead-alloy bullets at a miserable 630 fps. Enfield Number 4 Mk1 1931 Trials Rifle converted to a 1933 Trails Rifle. The Enfield No.2 Mk I was designed for use with the Cartridge S.A. Ball Revolver .380 inch Mk. The finish is worn in the areas around the serial numbers as a result. The Enfield-designed pistol was quickly accepted under the designation "Revolver, No 2 Mk I" (single/double action, with a hammer spur), and was adopted in 1931,[9] followed in 1938 by the Mk I* (lightened trigger pull, spurless hammer, double-action only),[10] and finally the Mk I** (simplified for wartime production) in 1942. Two British Enfield No.2 Mk I* Double Action Revolvers -A) Enfield No. Johnny - only one word from the UK - WOW! The Enfield Mk I/Mk II had a hinged frame, and when the barrel was unlatched, the cylinder would move forward, operating the extraction system and allowing the spent cartridges to simply fall out. No4 Mk1 . It should be used only as a general guide. Unsurprisingly I get a much poorer result firing off hand, grouping to the right. Add to cart. THIS IS THE RAREST OF THE BRITISH MAKERS AND THEY ARE HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER AND SELDOM SEEN. They used a 200 grain lead round nose bullet, naming it the .380-200. 2 revolvers saw widespread service with British and Commonwealth forces throughout World War 2 (1939-1945) though it was not as highly valued as other sidearms of the conflict were. Enfield 303 10Rd Gun Magazine . Thats the Enfield No. Remember, geographical location affects values, as well. Contest void where prohibited by law. Lot # 215: British Webley & Scott Mk VI Double Action Revolver. The model's improvements saw the MLM Mk1* in 1889. Enfield No.2 MK1* - .38 S&W. $ 649.00. About Us Contact Us My Account. Any less and his dedication will be suspect.". Artic Warfare l1a1. I too was lucky enough to find a largely unused No.2, https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=34897, https://www.milsurps.com/images/impofield1XL-1.jpg, https://www.milsurps.com/images/impofield7X2-1.jpg, https://www.milsurps.com/images/impofield3X3-1.jpg, https://www.milsurps.com/images/imponfield2L-1.jpg, https://www.milsurps.com/images/imponfield4L-1.jpg, https://www.milsurps.com/images/impofield5XL-1.jpg, https://www.milsurps.com/images/imponfield6L-1.jpg. It'll be a fun one. [8] Complaints began arising as early as 1887, influenced in part by the British switching to Webleys,[9] and by 1896, hinge wear and barrel loosening were a real issue. There were more than 317,000 Mk I MLE rifles produced and nearly 600,000 Mk I* MLE rifles. Box 1926, Escondido, CA 92033. Specs: Savage Enfield No.4 MK1*. 2000 rifles to be assembled from existing No1 Mk6 rifle components made by Enfield. Winchester factory ammo for .38 S&W is still factory loaded with 145-gr. APEX Gun Parts is your source for hard to find gun parts, parts kits, and accessories. Deployed military should use stateside address. To protect the privacy and security of winners, names will not be made public. Bore is very good. The design was very close to the Mk IV Pattern Webley submitted for consideration, and Webley sued for patent infringement, but lost. Bore is excellent. By Melvin Ewing March 23, 2020. Horton. This revolver is in good condition considering its age. Finding and recognizing the marks, symbols and stamps of government service is like finding an old passport along with a collection of photographs - it gives you some clues as to where the rifle has been, and when, and with whom. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. Weight fully loaded with sling was eight pounds even and overall length a handy 39.5 inches. (II) Limit one entry per household. . I am trying to find out what year this was made. Mmmmmmm I don't know when the RTC became the Royal Tank Regiment but worth looking into. Buying this little .38 wasnt one of those times. 2 Mk I .38 at right was adopted as a replacement for the huge Webley Mk VI .455. Looking for info on Enfield no2 mk1*. Contest open to U.S. residents only. M. Do you have a Webley revolver with the mark Commonwealth Bank on the barrel. Serial number J1432. A very collectable rifle indeed, but by no means rare. To protect the privacy and security of winners, names will not be made public. With a history and tradition of fine gun making behind them, the Manurhin series of Revolvers is truly world-class. A standard example of the .38 inch Enfield No 2 Mk 1 revolver, as issued to British forces from 1929 onwards. Right side of frame: Enfield No2 Mk1 and 1938 legend, the other marks that looks like crossed swords I have no idea Pix 6. Click on the line above. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. Fortapache, you are right that the Enfield No2 was not among the most popular handguns of WWII, but it did meet the requirements set by the British military establishment. The Enfield No. $200-400. . lead alloy roundnoses rated at a nominal speed of 685 fps. [2] Rebelpan. But the persistent zero problem became an annoyance. Starting in 1932, the Enfield No. I carried the only Mk1 without the star in our Battery armoury, all the others were the Mk1* and I hated them. Enfield No2 Mk1 .38S&W; Lahti M-40 / Husqvarna; Walther PP; Steyr M9-A1; Steyr S9-A1; X9 Shooter Arms; HK USP; Pietta 1873; Type 14 NAMBU . . How to Use Classifieds - PLEASE READ FIRST ! Some SMLEs may be found with as little as a 3 digit number and high as a 5 digit number. $19.95. The right side has 1931 under the crown and a 32 on top of barrel. The Enfield No. The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled. Contest void where prohibited by law. Sign-up now to get more revolver content every Wednesday! Insurance value would best be conducted by an insurance company that deals specifically with firearm relics such as a 124 year old Lee-Enfield rifle. 4 Mk I, chambered in the same .303 . and every thing hinges smoothly. The Enfield Revolver was a self-extracting British handgun designed and manufactured at the government-owned Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield, initially in the .476 calibre (actually 11.6 mm).. FMJ (.380 Revolver Mk II) to make them happy. We believe we sell living history, and honor the veterans who fought and died for our freedoms. 2 Mark 1 revolver was developed at the Royal Small . . The prefixes were assigned as follows: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, L, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T ,U, V, W, Y ,Y, Z, AA, AB, AC. The right side has 1931 under the crown and a 32 on top of barrel. In my mind then it just had to have ridden inside a Spitfire, circa 1940. Field dismounting of the Enfield No 2 revolver. 5 Mk 1, unofficially nicknamed "Jungle Carbine.". Yet again, once the sequence of numbers caped out letter prefixes were used to start the sequence over. What makes this particular Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk.2 an 'obscure' object of desire: it's in abso-fricking-lutely 100% condition. Bottom of barrel has England GSAD MANH.BCH.CA. Components for these rifles were made by Enfield about 1935, shipped to Fazakerly in 1940. 2 Mk1* The British Service Revolver of WWII also known as the "tanker".Special thanks to ht. (Thats why I prefer people to list their location). No3 Mk2 numbers 1 - 7899. Iz, a deviation of the .38 Smith & Wesson cartridge, also known as the .38/200. . The world's most powerful firearm database. A first gen Winchester 1873 also in 44-40. For sale is an Enfield No.2 MK I double-action revolver in .38 S&W. Serial number - C1468. Rear sight is a large blade with square notch as part of the break-open lever. markiemark; 2 mo ago; 3. 2 was a British top-break revolver using the .38 S&W round manufactured from 1930 to 1957. A 1931-dated Enfield No. Certain serial number prefixes were reserved for trial rifles and specific rifle types. RSAF Enfield was unable to manufacture enough No. First off, the Brits loaded it with 200-gr. ARTIKELBESCHREIBUNG Hersteller: Enfield Modell: NO2 MK1 Seriennummer: D976 Kaliber: 38 S&W Lauf: Leichte Narben sonst spiegelblank Lauflnge: 5 Zoll . HLebooks.com, November 2018. The cartridge had been designed as a 'man-stopper' for use at short distances against attacking hordes of . unjacketed round-nose, lead bullet of .359 inch diameter that developed a muzzle velocity of 620650ft/s (190200m/s). [8] His replacement, Lawrence W. Herchmer, reported the force was entirely outfitted with Enfields (in all 1,079 were provided)[9] and was pleased with them, but concerned about the .476 round being too potent. It carries all the little British proof marks they customarily scratch up guns with and best of all, is stamped R.A.F. Employees and agents of Publishers Development Corp. are not eligible. This was a duplication of Winchesters .38 S&W Super Police load from the early 19th century. Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: American Handgunner Magazine, GOM Mar/Apr 2023, P.O. Associated taxes and fees will be the responsibility of the winner. Contest open to U.S. residents only. Ive made up a few of these with 159 grain bullets and 2.2 grains of Hercules, with so-so results. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. Estimated Value *Using 80% condition for . Heres three variations of the same cartridge. (II) Limit one entry per household. (II) Limit one entry per household. BUT to be honest, these markings would be on the butt marking disc during that period and by then, in the Army, marking on the actual pistol was taboo. They named it the .380 Revolver Mk 1 but its nothing more than the .38 S&W introduced in Smith & Wessons Baby Russian circa 1875. Didn't mean to Hijack Rebelpan's thread. The insurance guy I use has no clue on guns, I have asked before. No substitutions or transfers to a third party are allowed. Supposedly, the reason for the bobbed trigger was that reports from the Royal Tank Corps complained the trigger spur would catch on equipment. (I) Giveaway ends March 31, 2023. Enfield No2 Barrel Catch Spring Enfield No2 Mainspring Our Price: $21.50 . (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if needed) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. and in the original caliber. Will have to keep looking for more Enfields, they are nice guns.. . called Colt New Police. Germany rightly squawked about Britains use of lead bullets in World War II so the load was changed to a 178-gr. But one time with one handgun the Brits almost got things right. Photographer (Major) W.G. Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate. One example will suffice. Over the years I have received many emails regarding serial numbers. I do not recommend it for any other firearm, as the condition of vintage firearms varies. Truth be known about Enfield serial numbers is simply, the serial number was used more for production counting than any other reason. Any more and he will be perceived as greedy. Add to cart. SMLE rifle manufacturers were given no serial ranges to begin or end production with, so it is possible that two rifles may exist with the same serial number produced at different factories. A scarce variant was made by Albion Motors of Scotstown, Scotland. Wilson, Royce. Create an account or login in order to post a comment. Terrific, shiny bore. Contest void where prohibited by law. Caliber: .303 British. [7], Irvine liked them so much that, in one of his final acts as Commissioner, he ordered another 600, which were delivered in September 1885. I got it, an original tanker holster, OD lanyard, 18 rounds of MKII FMJ ammo, and original cleaning rod for $400 USD. Not to good with this iPad , have to figure out what I did with those pictures and get them reoriented. . "Enfield no 2 revolver explained". I am trying to do some research on the Enfield No 2 mk 1, Mk 1* and Mk 1 ** revolvers and would like some help from the forum. 38 S&W; 80% blue, very good bore, very good grips, 5'' barrel, This Enfield is has a mismatched barrel and frame and cylinder. Victorian-era British arms, accoutrements, and military history. Condition: Make: Enfield; Model: No2 Mk1* Ammo Type: Centrefire; Action Type: Revolver; Calibre:.38 S&W; Serial Number: M2706; Private User. 0 Schematic w/ Parts List Enfield MK I, No.2 MK I Schematic W/ Parts List. (I) Giveaway ends March 20, 2022. 243. Version for Android mobile devices. Product Description. The idea was that the cylinder moved forward far enough to permit fired cases to be completely extracted (and ejected by gravity), but not far enough to permit live cartridges (i.e., those with projectiles still present, and thus longer in overall length) from being removed in the same manner. Feb 5, 2013. British WWI & WWII Leather Brodie Helmet Carrier for Saddle or Sam Browne Belt. Contest open to U.S. residents only. 2. My Dad had it above the Fireplace for another 20 years. 2 for further information. The most common of these were: XP was used for the Shortened and Lightened Australian Lithgow (No6 Jungle Carbine) rifles, A was used for No1 MkVI trail rifles, BS was used on the British No7 small bore rifles, and T1 for the No5 small bore rifles.