What dangers does magic pose to the user, whether directly or because the use of magic is scorned or envied by society? Teleportation is hardest to work out, because it includes the idea that you can pull a body apart and put it back together without any consequences. Also, I have another magic system that sort of more on the traditional side that Ive been wrestling with for my story. Bestselling Author Joanna Penn Compares, How to Write a Book: The Best Creative Writing Courses Online, Self-Publishing 101: A Step-by-Step Guide to Sharing Your Idea With the World, ProWritingAid Presents: Crime Writer's Week, Free Giveaway: The Ultimate Crime Writer's Toolkit, The 25 Best Fantasy Books & Novels of All Time: Our Top Picks, Omnipotent Characters: Why Marvel Sidelined Thor, Vision, and Captain Marvel, Six Tried and Tested Methods for Writing a Novel, How to Outline Your Novel With Scrivener's Outliner and Corkboard, Fantasy Writers' Week Premium Hub: Presented by ProWritingAid, Hear from bestselling authors and educators like, Learn from bestselling authors and educators in live sessions, Master outlining, writing, editing, publishing and more, Meet like-minded fantasy writers in networking events. For a small redistribution of energy or matter, this is hardly a large price to pay. Likewise, its important to disabuse the audience of the notion that mood swings can decide key moments whenever its convenient. You could also INCREASE existing energy in an object (Eg- Can make a Moving ball move faster) Or you could DECREASE existing energy in an object (Eg- Can make a Moving ball slow down and even stop & become completely static). Another option is that there is a background magic field (see the TVTropes article) present everywhere that psychics draw on. There's a reason why I write about fantasy magic - magic is my most favourite thing! Magic can be taught and learned, but like the Arts or sciences, whether someone is good at magic or not depends on their inherent skill, talent, and dedication to their training. Magic systems can even serve as a vehicle for theme, exploring topics such as power, privilege, oppression, and greed. would be for instance the power to congure spectral weapons like a sword or bow and arrow, though they are powerful magic and would be taxing on ones body and life. One thing to keep in mind is how much power somebody can gain. This is where your magic system will become unique, even if it shares elements with existing works of fiction. For now, Im thinking that the energy will be a 3D field spreaded around (basically, just a math function). As we dont seem to be focusing on that aspect much, however, I wont try to continue arguments about that part. I just finished the entire creation story because of these questions as well as creating a more refined system of magic in my book! actuallydragon glass is NOT made from dragon fireits just some rock that forms naturally: obsidian. Now, I think I was misleading about the Storm God. Over time more Blacks appeared and White got lonely so they split their body into seven colours. Side note, can anyone contact the spirits, or does it require a special gift.. But because of Saurons _spiritual_ and _moral_ corruption, ADDED to the fact that dis werent no ordinary Elfk, Luthien was able not only to win handily but to pretty seriously humiliate Sauron before his boss (no other than Morgoth, the Satan figure in Tolkiens universe, Old Scratch himself) by the pathetic ease by which she shelled him? But it feels as if it all fits together, not least because Tolkien himself had a clear notion of what was going on. Do you think the metaphor works when stretched so far? While the Harry Potter system certainly isnt perfectwill be checking out the linked article!I dont think the points raised in this article have much weight. Be hugely important In politics. Gestures could be used to move molecules (that would be how Avatar does it). Fantasy Name Generator. And for Mind and Body, Distorter will be their name. As far as your magic/psychic system goes, I can understand why you put so much thought into it. If you think of the Sea of Energy as like the actual ocean, than the Planes of Existence can be compared to the different depths, and the deeper you go, the more pressure that exists. Thats a neat trick you used for replying even when the thread space has run out. Most magic systems fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. Further into the future two young men of solitude manage to unlock the greatest fighting potential by breaking mental barriers making them the strongest people to exist since Black and White but they have a fight on morality causing a great war. But magical things do have specific usesHarry writes essays on the uses of different plants in potion-making, for example. Magitech To create strange fusions of science and sorcery for your more unusual settings. Worldbuilding, Avatar, Magic, Magic Systems. Then it may not feel weird that there isnt a god specifically of dirt, because the earth goddess hasnt had children yet. Another possibility is that some kind of complex structure is involved that can navigate to a desired destination. For Time and Space, Keeper will be the name. In other words, readers need to understand how your magic system works to ensure its use feels natural and believable within the context of the story. Thats not exactly what I mean Im talking about low-level How. Korra did it but that was more so of Avatar state then an Airbending technique. Mystical Paths A slightly humorous generator that produces new mystical practices for characters. Sun magic is strongest at noon and weakest at night. Some people make a long-term contract with a particular spirit to channel its energy themselves, with the spirit becoming the casters familiar. This sounds intriguingly cool, although if youre designing it for use in a computer game, might I ask how are you handling the problem that (I would imagine) youd have to assign EVERY object/environ in your game world a energy attribute/variable, dictating how much player the Player can draw upon, and what happens when the Player hits that limit? There are a number of times during the series when Harry performs magic out of anger or fear. On top of this, theres teleportation I still need to consider, which comes with its own host of issues. Now, of course, this is magic and doesnt have to follow real life but by the same token, as in real physics, it doesnt necessarily have to seem sensible to humans (think of how weird quantum mechanics is). The flickering flame casting irregular patches of shadows against the wall was the evidence. Well, your protagonists will use magic to solve some of their problems. This article will help you write a magic system for your fictional world that readers will remember long after theyve turned the last page. The World we perceive and interact with all stems from the Energy, called Aether, and the Vibrations that come from it, all make up our world. I think Ill go for having multiple types of thread that rule certain areas of magic. That can create an interesting dilemma if a person primarily driven by a particular emotion starts to lose it, how likely are they to remain committed to their goals? Not using items doesn't have to mean a magic wielder is always capable of wielding it though. a conspiracy to hide everyone selected (difficult to justify how they manage this). Motion High Fantasy and Low Fantasy. You neednt appropriate any that have extant adherents, of course, but looking at what people believe can be a touchstone for how an invented system of magic could work. Rewriting and revising is what turns the idea into something worth reading. All people that use magic are split up into different yet powerful factions. Hydro (water) However, as we are all well aware humanity and its constructs are fragile things and some event happens that upsets the norm; war, a terrorist attack on these factories, solar flare, etc Regardless this event causes a change within these factories, the main computer systems get a little bit fried, perhaps even gain a modicum of self-awareness. WESTERN VOLCANO, based off of western dragons in design, very likely chance of getting weak to strong Combustial magic, very rare chance of getting another type of magic as well. Cant help but feel its lacking in creativity and complexity, but thats for another day. If you are not creating a game, where you want a firemage be as powerful as a dark wizard for balancing sake, your magic doesnt need to be symmetrical. Because people tend to be put off when your story changes rules in the middle. And boy, rational magic systems arent new. Furthermore, mages can form contracts with faeries (another race in my world) to harness their powers. Should I divide my Mages into sub-classes (similar to Sandersons Mistborn)?? In Brandon Sandersons Mistborn Series, characters acquire magic by imbibing small amounts of metals and burning them once theyre consumed. The key traits of a hard magic system are outlined in the graphic below. Maybe something with an eclipse? Even within one category, theres no way to extrapolate new spells because the rules are so eclectic. Ive since abandoned it and am working on something that, while in a similar vein, is quite different. Theyre bodies cant store energy, thats a Condit thing. From this point onwards paint is incorporated into science and technology. If you could, they probably wouldnt tell the students at Hogwarts. a conspiracy to hide everyone selected (difficult to justify how they manage this) So you've figured out what the source of your magic is, but who and what can tap into that source? Telekinesis, telepathy, and teleportation are not something people can really use in everyday life, so you will find it hard to justify their existence through science alone. When an earthbender is blocked by a mountain, we know that with enough effort, they could create a tunnel through it. With that said, I wonder why no one has replied to my previous comment on this article. Magicians draw on their inner energy, called mana, to cast spells and perform magical techniques. Because when you move, there is an accompanying sound? In general, creating a system that is more limited in effect and creates more problems with casting makes for better stories. Knowing what spell-casting is capable of is pretty important, if you havent decided that, I would think on it. Its time to create a system of rules that will feel cohesive and logical. This has been extremely helpful! Just remember that great ideas are only the start, solid implementation has to follow, and learning that takes a lot of time and practice. For more inspiration and guidance in creating your magic system, I recommend these articles and resources. This version of my storys magic system is like a combination of magic in the Marvel movies and in The Magicians. Or just feel ridiculous. Some theorize, that the Sephirot is an aspect of God, but our understanding of God is just one aspect of it, you could say the projection of its Will, in simpler terms. (Storm God = sky domain = bird ? While she does talk about how it adds limitations, that doesnt actually seem to be her primary focus. The story looks like a fantasy story at first, with characters manipulating threads or ley lines. If there are powerful gods, it might make more sense for magic to come from the divine power of the pantheon. That means that divine intervention is a possibility (a deus ex machina in the true sense of the world), but theres no way your regular human MC can rely on it.