For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. Aw, William is a cute little boy. His jaws opened, and he muttered some inarticulate sounds, while a grin wrinkled his cheeks. (5.3). What was I? Even broken in spirit as he is, no one can feel more deeply than he does the beauties of nature. I was more agile than they and could subsist upon coarser diet; I bore the extremes of heat and cold with less injury to my frame; my stature far exceeded theirs. The monster hopes to gain the confidence of the De Lacey family so they would overlook his deformed looks. For the rest of his days, Victor would go on a search for his monster to destroy it or die trying. Quotes from Frankenstein about Destiny. (7.24). The creature tries to do a good and a heroic deed, but because of his hideous appearance is shot and wounded. Victors obsession to act superhuman blinded him while he was creating the creature because he had a desire to assemble the creature from makeshift parts so that the creature would be hideous and therefore inferior to Victor. Frankenstein, Chapter 12. However, Promethean ambition, which involves a human pretending to be God. I must say also a few words to you, my dear cousin, of little darling William. The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled. "Dear mountains! Make me happy, and I shall again be virtuous." . When Victor Frankenstein is astray in his studies he isolates himself from human society. Frankenstein, Chapter 2. (Letter 1.2). Nature's punishment on Victor. Victor Frankenstein is revulsed by the hideousness of the creature he has created. I wish you could see him; he is very tall of his age, with sweet laughing blue eyes, dark eyelashes, and curling hair. Is this to prognosticate peace, or to mock at my unhappiness?" What statement does Mary Shelley seem to make about beauty with her novel? However in characters of the book, particularly Elizabeth and the monster, the ability to be beautiful affected their entire lives. But it was all a dream; no Eve soothed my sorrows nor shared my thoughts; I was alone. When we visited it the next morning, we found the tree shattered in a singular manner. How much more a murdered that could destroy radiant innocence! After creating the creature, Victor realises that. We called each other familiarly by the name of cousin. His nature is to be good and kind, but society only views his external appearance which is deformed. (7.20). Is this to prognosticate peace, or to mock at my unhappiness?. I knew my silence disquieted them, and I well remembered the words of my father: "I know that while you are pleased with yourself you will think of us with affection, and we shall hear regularly from you. Never did I behold a vision so horrible as his face, of such loathsome yet appalling hideousness. His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath (60), however, he was in a state of semblance believing his creation was preeminent. Soon a gentle light stole over the heavens and gave me a sensation of pleasure. This also makes the. "I was benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend. No wood, however, was placed on the earth, which formed the floor, but it was dry; and although the wind entered it by innumerable chinks, I found it an agreeable asylum from the snow and rain." A violent storm greets Victor when he arrives in Geneva, mirroring the raging passions inside him of guilt and fear. Justine has just returned to us; and I assure you I love her tenderly. "When I was unseen and unknown, and which rather increased than satisfied the desire I had of becoming one among my fellows." - Narrator, 'Frankenstein'. Do you understand this feeling? I started up and beheld a radiant form rise from among the trees. I determined to go without a guide, for I was well acquainted with the path, and the presence of another would destroy the solitary grandeur of the scene. He held up the curtain of the bed; and his eyes, if eyes they may be called, were fixed on me. The summer months passed while I was thus engaged, heart and soul, in one pursuit. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. Mourning the death of his brother, for which he feels responsible, it seems wrong to Victor that the natural world should appear so peaceful. For a few moments I gazed with delight on her dark eyes, fringed by deep lashes, and her lovely lips; but presently my rage returned; I remembered that I was forever deprived of the delights that such beautiful creatures could bestow and that she whose resemblance I contemplated would, in regarding me, have changed that air of divine benignity to one expressive of disgust and affright. I did not dare return to the apartment which I inhabited, but felt impelled to hurry on, although drenched by the rain which poured from a black and comfortless sky (161) Victor saw what huge mistake he made and ignored his problem(s) rather than taking accountability that he has created a monster hideous to the human eye. It was a divine spring; and the season contributed greatly to my convalescence. It advanced; the heavens were clouded, and I soon felt the rain coming slowly in large drops, but its violence quickly increased. I try in vain to be persuaded that the pole is the seat of frost and desolation; it ever presents itself to my imagination as the region of beauty and delight. (13.5). I may die, but first you, my tyrant and tormentor, shall curse the sun that gazes on your misery. A flash of lightning illuminated the object, and discovered its shape plainly to me; its gigantic stature, and the deformity of its aspect more hideous than belongs to humanity, instantly informed me that it was the wretch, the filthy daemon, to whom I had given life. What did he think the creation was going to look like? Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow. Beauty. Although he could succeed in doing things such as saving a little drowning girl his appearance gave his character a hard life because in the eyes of villagers beautiful things did good and ugly things did evil. He assisted her to dismount, and dismissing her guide, conducted her into the cottage. The pang is over, his sufferings are at an end for ever. During this short voyage I saw the lightning playing on the summit of Mont Blanc in the most beautiful figures. To be friendless is indeed to be unfortunate, but the hearts of men, when unprejudiced by any obvious self-interest, are full of brotherly love and charity., Who can describe their horror and consternation on beholding me? Isolation and Vengeance. It moved slowly, but it enlightened my path; and I again went out in search of berries., The cold stars shone in mockery, and the bare trees waved their branches above me; now and then the sweet voice of a bird burst forth amidst the universal stillness. "I endeavored to crush these fears and to fortify myself for the trial which in a few months I resolved to undergo; and sometimes I allowed my thoughts, unchecked by reason, to ramble in the fields of Paradise, and dared to fancy amiable and lovely creatures sympathizing with my feelings and cheering my gloom; their angelic countenances breathed smiles of consolation. Nonetheless, once the creature comes to life Victor is mortified by the creature he ultimately gave life to: Oh! (6.9). This caused a lot of anger for the monster, and he would then release this anger onto Victor to make him pay for abandonment. (5.4). Sure, Frankenstein seems to criticize the idea that beauty indicates inner virtue. "I thank you," he replied, "for your sympathy, but it is useless; my fate is nearly fulfilled. How does a six-year-old kid learn about ogres? The mild exhortations of the old man and the lively conversation of the loved Felix were not for me. ', "`Boy, you will never see your father again; you must come with me. My person was hideous and my stature gigantic. In the novel, Dr. Frankenstein is believed to be the true victim of the, Throughout the story, the monster struggles with the repercussions brought about by his creator which leave him in turmoil. The different accidents of life are not so changeable as the feelings of human nature. I could have torn him limb from limb, as the lion rends the antelope. let me goMy papa isM. (13.4). On his journey to Montanvert to mourn his brother, Victor feels lonely but the view of the glaciers calms him. Nature vs Nurture in Frankenstein Essay. A mummy again endued with animation could not be so hideous as that wretch. Romantics invariably equated nature with God, attributing magical powers to it. Vivid flashes of lightning dazzled my eyes, illuminating the lake, making it appear like a vast sheet of fire; then for an instant every thing seemed of a pitchy darkness, until the eye recovered itself from the preceding flash. Title page of the first edition of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus, 1818.. She was in a privileged position to craft this rich cultural-historical document because her father William Godwin was a leading enlightenment . (4.3). "Nothing contributes so much to tranquillize the mind as a steady purpose- a point on which the soul can focus its intellectual eye". I sawwith shut eyes, but acute mental visionI saw the pale student of unhallowed arts kneeling beside the thing he had put together. Farewell, my dear, excellent Margaret. Nature has the power to evoke strong emotions because of its beauty. Frankenstein, Chapter 15. KayDee Davis English 12 Mrs. Sloan November 5, 2014 Frankenstein: Body of a Monster, Soul of a Human "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine" (Mary Shelley Quotes). The storm appeared to approach rapidly, and, on landing, I ascended a low hill, that I might observe its progress. Your summits are clear; the sky and lake are blue and placid. By continuing well assume you The greater part of the creatures anger generate from the revulsion he obtain from everybody that stagger upon his vision. 30 Frankenstein Quotes That Reveal the Truth About Humanity. The sun might shine or the clouds might lower, but nothing could appear to me as it had done the day before. My place of refuge was constructed of wood, but so low that I could with difficulty sit upright in it. You had endowed me with perceptions and passions and then cast me abroad an object for the scorn and horror of mankind. The average student has to read dozens of books per year. 01. Frankenstein, Chapter 6. Frankenstein, Chapter 7. The novel, which follows a scientist named Frankenstein and the horrifying creature he creates, explores the pursuit of knowledge and its consequences, as well as the human . Agatha fainted, and Safie, unable to attend to her friend, rushed out of the cottage. It looks like judging people based on their appearances isn't as straightforward as it seems. The first specific quote that shows Dr. Frankenstein pondering the consequences of his actions is when he states, "but now that I had . As if the monster weren't ugly enough before the spark of being, he's even worse before. Frankenstein, Chapter 11. No mortal could support the horror of that countenance. Finding the door open, I entered. The creature is formed as an ugly being so that it is easier for Victor to walk away from. Victor is obsessed with discovering the secrets of nature. She continued her course along the precipitous sides of the river, when suddenly her foot slipped, and she fell into the rapid stream. The gentle words of Agatha and the animated smiles of the charming Arabian were not for me. Inspirited by this wind of promise, my daydreams become more fervent and vivid. Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change. (Mary Shelley Quotes). When the creature awakens and the result of his bid to create life turns out to be monstrous, Victor realizes that he made a mistake and his dream to be god-like should have remained a dream. Since Victor did not do this for his monster, the monster would kill all of Victors family and friends that he loved which would bring destruction to Victors life. "Fair exotic" in need of the "shelter" of the "protecting spirit" that is Victor's father. It was not splintered by the shock, but entirely reduced to thin ribbons of wood. Share. The monster on how his appearance would lead to prejudice, rage and murder. Why did you form a monster so hideous that even you turned from me in disgust? I took it; it was a portrait of a most lovely woman. Dear mountains! He just fled hoping that abandoning his creation would solve the problem. I stepped fearfully in: the apartment was empty, and my bedroom was also freed from its hideous guest. Fiend that thou art! Shelly contrasts this "terror" of Ingolstadt to the beauty of Geneva, Frankenstein's birthplace. Appearance vs. reality could, arguably, be the main reason for both Victor and Angier descending into obsession, as well as being a primary source for the character relations establishing in the way that they do. Unable to endure the aspect of the being I had created, I . Beautiful! Nature and the landscape around him. However this theme should also teach readers that beauty is subjective to the one perceiving and should be used objectively when judging ones character. Unfortunately, the way he looks means that he has no way of fixing problem #1. "As I fixed my eyes on the child, I saw something glittering on his breast. When we visited it the next morning, we found the tree shattered in a singular manner. In Mary Shelleys Frankenstein, Victor Frankenstein brings his creation to life and has to endure the repercussions of his actions. Ultimately, beauty for Elizabeth and the monster determined if they were to be liked and thought of as a good or bad person. His appearance comes second. I admired virtue and good feelings and loved the gentle manners and amiable qualities of my cottagers, but I was shut out from intercourse with them, except through means which I obtained by stealth, when I was unseen and unknown, and which rather increased than satisfied the desire I had of becoming one among my fellows. Justine, you may remember, was a great favourite of yours; and I recollect you once remarked that if you were in an ill humour, one glance from Justine could dissipate it, for the same reason that Ariosto gives concerning the beauty of Angelica--she looked so frank-hearted and happy. In Frankenstein, Mary Shelley portrays a number of different characters as potential victims, in particular: the creature, and Dr. Frankenstein. Frankenstein, Chapter 7. What did he there? Unlike Victor, the monster was never loved because of the way he looked. Take, for instance, the moment after Justine was wrongly sentenced to death for the death of William, when Frankenstein is overcome by guilt for his own crime of creating the monster: "The blood flowed freely in my veins, but a weight of despair and remorse . What are the most important details surrounding the creation? That beauty was thrown under the bus and so was that innocence. For a few moments I gazed with delight on her dark eyes, fringed by deep lashes, and her lovely lips; but presently my rage returned; I remembered that I was forever deprived of the delights that such beautiful creatures could bestow and that she whose resemblance I contemplated would, in regarding me, have changed that air of divine benignity to one expressive of disgust and affright.. Poor little fellow! He seeks love from different people, but everyone treats him bad. Victors early fascination with science began when he watched an oak tree being struck by lighting during a violent storm. Frankenstein, Robert Walton in Letter 1. He is now filled with remorse and a desire to die. When I was about fifteen years oldwe witnessed a most violent and terrible thunder-stormI remained, while the storm lasted, watching its progress with curiosity and delight. Beautiful! Everyone loved Elizabeth. ", "At that instant the cottage door was opened, and Felix, Safie, and Agatha entered. Once the fruit of Frankenstein's labor comes to fruition and the horrific monster is born, even Frankenstein himself is "unable to endure the aspect of the being" and attempts to cast it away and forget it (Shelley 101). After abandoning his creature and spending time in nature with childhood friend Henry, Victor Frankenstein discovers the restorative powers of nature. After Victor rejects to create a companion for the monster, the daemon once again assassinates one of Victor's closest relatives, Elizabeth. As I stood at the door, on a sudden I beheld a stream of fire issue from an old and beautiful oak which stood about twenty yards from our house; and so soon as the dazzling light vanished, the oak had disappeared, and nothing remained but a blasted stump. I never beheld anything so utterly destroyed. The beauty or lack of beauty in scenes shift characters to act differently than they normally would. His anger towards his father drives him to kill Victors family. Hm. "It was the secrets of heaven and earth that I desired to learn". The whole village was roused; some fled, some attacked me, until, grievously bruised by stones and many other kinds of missile weapons, I escaped to the open country and fearfully took refuge in a low hovel, quite bare, and making a wretched appearance after the palaces I had beheld in the village. You dare not keep me.' The storm appeared to approach rapidly, and, on landing, I ascended a low hill, that I might observe its progress. Even if he had been human the monster would had still suffered complications assimilating into a village. Frankenstein, Chapter 16. During our walk, Clerval endeavoured to say a few words of consolation; he could only express his heartfelt sympathy. Although her disposition was gay and in many respects inconsiderate, yet she paid the greatest attention to every gesture of my aunt. Stars and clouds and winds, ye are all about to mock me; if ye really pity me, crush sensation and memory; let me become as nought; but if not, depart, depart, and leave me in darkness.. But I was enchanted by the appearance of the hut; here the snow and rain could not penetrate; the ground was dry; and it presented to me then as exquisite and divine a retreat as Pandemonium appeared to the demons of hell after their sufferings in the lake of fire. Among many Frankenstein's quotes about science, there is one, where Victor boldly states, "A new species would bless me as its . I hardly know whether I shall have the power to detail it; yet the tale which I have recorded would be incomplete without this final and wonderful catastrophe. I took it; it was a portrait of a most lovely woman. Being beauty was a gift for her allowing her to integrate with society. The creatures desire for affection and love makes him appear a sympathetic and deeply human character. - Mary Shelley. In response to the monster being born Victor flees in horror. She thought her the model of all excellence and endeavoured to imitate her phraseology and manners, so that even now she often reminds me of her. Justine is pretty, which would normally make people like herexcept that, in this case, they think she's a monster. Frankenstein, Chapter 5. Frankenstein, Chapter 1. Frankenstein, Chapter 6. Make me happy, and I shall again be virtuous." 2. The creature is created and he is innocent, though he is severely deformed. Great God! These two elements were conveyed through natures affect on the characters and the way characters were treated based on their beauty. Mary Shelley displays through her writing that outer beauty does not always mean it is the best or the most innocent, but at some points the total opposite. Then, overcome by fatigue, I lay down among some straw and fell asleep.It was noon when I awoke, and allured by the warmth of the sun, which shone brightly on the white ground, I determined to recommence my travels; and, depositing the remains of the peasant's breakfast in a wallet I found, I proceeded across the fields for several hours, until at sunset I arrived at a village. Henry expresses affection for the dead boy by describing his lovely physical attributes. It was the most beautiful season; never did the fields bestow a more plentiful harvest, or the vines yield a more luxuriant vintage: but my eyes were insensible to the charms of nature. Victor Frankenstein. Two German films, The Golem (1914) and Homunculus (1916), dealt with a similar theme derived from Jewish folklore. (11.9-10). Both man and monster life was ended in cruel. You dare not keep me., As I fixed my eyes on the child, I saw something glittering on his breast. Here are examples of some of the most famous quotes from Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley's Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus (1818).These will help you gain a deeper understanding of this classic work, which delves into many complex themes related to man's relationship to technology, the use of knowledge for good and for evil, and the treatment of the poor or uneducated. Her ugly sister, Manon, married M. Duvillard, the rich banker, last autumn. For each character the amount of beauty they had paralleled with the how much they were liked by people. On page 20, she is described by Frankenstein as a being who possessed an attractive softness (Shelley). Oh! Could it be that we're all innately prejudiced? She was senseless, and I endeavoured by every means in my power to restore animation, when I was suddenly interrupted by the approach of a rustic, who was probably the person from whom she had playfully fled. Frankenstein, Chapter 7. Yet even that enemy of . On page 100, the monster tried reaching out to someone and explained that he did not intend to hurt [them] yet they struggled violently (Shelley). Within Frankenstein cruelty can be attributed, often affecting both Victor and the creature; serving as a crucial motivator and revealing their anger, pain, frustration till eventually both die. Satan had his companions, fellow devils, to admire and encourage him, but I am solitary and abhorred., I persuaded myself that when they should become acquainted with my admiration of their virtues, they would compassionate me, and overlook my personal deformity. At the spot where his brother William was murdered, Victor sees the monster illuminated during a lightning storm. Victor conveys that any human cannot withstand the ugliness of the face of the monster. Within this quote the monster is discovering the beauty of night and day, "Soon a gentle light stole over the heavens, and gave me a . Frankenstein Nature Quotes. "Soon after my arrival in the hovel, I discovered some papers in the pocket of the . However, that was not the case, he was not able to run away from his problems.