As I understand it the signal flow is WB>red film simulation. It reminds me of Agfapan 25 printed using a high-contrast filter (maybe a #4, or even split-filtered). But, this post is geared towards Fujifilm, sorry anyone who stubbles across this post but doesnt shoot Fujifilm. As you can see below my Custom 7 displays a nice range of gradients ending in Black & White. You need to bare that in mind when shooting with this film recipe. The only change that I added was Toning, which is optional, but it seems to look nice with these settings. Manage Settings To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. Hi! That cloud is a bit ghostly looking, isnt it? Signs, Poles & Wires - Farmington, UT - Fujifilm X100V - "Classic Monochrome" For some reason, black-and-white film simulation recipes aren't as popular as color, but Fujifilm cameras are capable of some great monochrome images straight-out-of-camera. Your first photo Stop Here on Infrared is terrific. Base simply identifies what the current settings are. Just programmed into my X100V, took first picture, lovin it already! But at least for now Im leaving it on, just so I can get a final image straight out of camera. Khrt L. Williams One of the reasons I settled on Fujfilm for my professional (and personal) photography are the built-in film simulations and great output without the need for post-processing. Lus, I shoot with one of Ritchies or your film simulation recipes regularly. Enough of all that lets dive into my preferred 7 Custom Recipes for the Fujifilm X Series Cameras utilizing the X-Trans IV Sensor. The Noir Film Mood is great for portrait, landscape and street photography, known one of our best Fujifilm simulations for portraits. On canon users would have to approximate the values for RGB and set them manually. This new "Classic Monochrome" recipe was made by Thomas Schwab (B&W Instagram), who has created several of the film Just got an X100V and Im putting in some of your recipes. Exposure Compensation: 0 to +2/3 (typically) ISO: Auto up to ISO 12800. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. I also shoot 35mm film and usually have a roll of Fujifilm Superia 400 in my Nikon FE. Highlight: -1. Its still editing and still a hugely important part of the photographic process. Yes! Clarity +40. You will begin to develop an eye for what a film photograph looks like when compared to most digitally shot images you see on social media these days. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Its all about making the most of the Fujifilm Jpegs; which are amazing, but with a few tweaks or sometimes a lot of tweaks, they can be made even better. Continue with Recommended Cookies. A black and white with strong contrast and a real film stock look. I first came across this Noir while watching YouTube and came across a video created by Omar Gonzales. Lastly, dont choose the overly colourful film presets that Fujifilm offer. I would like to offer you some advice if this method of photography sounds appealing to you. . Take the Blind Film Simulation Recipe Test to See Which Might Be Your Favorite! Your email address will not be published. Links to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and other services inserted in the comment text will be automatically embedded. Exposure Compensation: +1/3 to +1 (typically) Example photographs, all camera-made JPEGs using this Kodak Tri-X 400 film simulation recipe on my Fujifilm X100V: Fallen Trunk - Fruit Heights, UT - Fujifilm X100V - ISO 1600. When I got my X-T3 I suddenly could use the then very much fawned upon Eterna profile. The Day You Became A Better Photographer, Filmmaker, Artist. Amazing! I am also frustrated that after pulling in the RAF to Lightroom I have no way to re-apply that film simulation recipe ot the RAF. I have no idea what was written in the original. Ah shit what a pity. Its one of the more difficult to use recipes that Ive created, yet it is highly rewarding. Push/Pull Process: 0EV, Dynamic Range DR100, Film Simulation Classic Chrome, Grain Effect Weak, WB Auto, WB Shift R0 B0, Highlight Tone -1, Shadow Tone -2, Color -4, Sharpness . https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRnD76Jj/, And this was also with the X-T4 but using the Kodak Portra 160 recipe: December 14, 2020 @ Film simulation: Classic Negative. White Balance: 2750K, -5 Red & +9 Blue. Your email address will not be published. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Your email address will not be published. I can say that Velvia is definitely not part of it :-). Hard blacks are something that speaks to a part of my soul that I need to connect to from time to time in a controlled manner. It is a very versatile recipe with somewhat muted colors but less so than anything based on Classic Chrome. :p. Just found your wonderful blog. The built-in default recipes are nothing special to lose, and if you really want one you can reprogram it if youd like. There are eight black & white options available, plus an antique brown Sepia option, all of which are accessed via the Film Simulation menu. Sigh. So in order to simplify my shooting process and get more consistent results, I decided to stick with just one color simulation and one black & white simulation recipe. Thats why the classic Ansel Adams books are three volumes: The Camera, The Negative, The Print. Ive started using the darkroom app, coz I can also add vignette, lift shadows and do much more to the jpegs. Color Chrome Effect Blue: Off However, not all of the settings are available in video mode, such as Grain, Clarity, and the Color Chrome Effects. Some people will go further with a lot of post-processing tricks to get the dramatic end results. I might just keep this recipe as it is. I have a X Pro-1 and Ive been experimenting for about a year now and really love all these simulation recipes but the white balance never seem to come out remotely close, any suggestions? If in doubt, Fujifilm states right on the camera; "Shoot in black and white in rich detail with sharpness" This recipe produces gorgeous pastel tones especially in soft light, with a slight shift towards the greens that's reminiscent of some classic Fuji film stocks. Oh, I dont throw away the Rafs, I keep them on an external drive for backup. . Film Simulation: Black & White with Red Filter. One thing that bugs me a bit is that the custom setting is not recorded in metadata, meaning copious notes for each image with a simulation.I know this is not your problem but I wonder if you or any of your contacts have found a better solution than pen and paper? Second is dont get overly contrasty. Its most similar to Dramatic Monochrome, so if you like that recipe youll like this one, too. Grain Effect: Strong, Large Thank you Solomon! Best All-Around Fuji Film Simulation: Kodacolor Recipe. Thankfully I wrote them into the image metadata. Thank you so much for your kind words. Its compatible (as of this writing) with the Fujifilm X100V, X-T4, X-Pro3 and X-S10 cameras. One thing to note before we really dive in. Fujifilm X100V Film Simulation Recipe: Kodak Portra 400 v2, Fujifilm X100V Film Simulation: Kodak Portra 400, A $400 Alternative to the Fujifilm X100V, X-E4, and X70, Top 10 Film Simulation Recipes of 2022 (& 2023 So Far), My Fujifilm X100F Vintage Kodachrome Film Simulation Recipe. Again shoot this 1/3 to 1 full stop over exposed for the best results. Thank you for sharing! Dynamic Range: DR400. It looks natural, realistic and slightly warm. Shadow +4. I shoot all sorts of things but, professionally Im a wedding photographer and my main personal work revolves around street photography., Albert They are the three film presets I use the most right now. So I know this blog is called FujiFeels but that doesnt mean I want to disregard any people who shoot other brands. Grain Size - Large. Works amazing on flowers and high contrast scenes such as sunsets. That being said, as much as I appreciated the quality of the jpgs, I almost always ended up working on the raw files for the added post-processing flexibility and to get a more stylized look. Its name refers to a step in color negative . But perhaps that is one of the many things that distinguish them (your photos, I mean) they are hard to pigeonhole, they defy simple categorizations. Sharpening 65, Detail 10, Masking 30. I think this is my favourite so far that I have tested and really recommend trying these settings for yourself! Whites +32. Writing this post is in this sense a way for me to articulate what I like or dislike about some recipes and take you along this journey. Join Me LIVE Today to Talk About StreetPhotography! My first recipe I use is similar to the look that Kodak Gold 200 creates. Shadows: -2 My favorites so far have been the Kodachrome simulations (both the Vintage Kodachrome and Kodachrome II) and Fuji Superia 800, but theyre really all quite excellent and cover an enormous range of looks. February 28, 2020 @ Another black and white recipe. I think it is often the best choice for urban scenes or street photography. The process of shooting film, from the tactility of the Leica M7 and . Acros+R The colors and details are just stunning, and as someone who grew up with film photography in the 80s, the idea of having film simulations directly in the camera was just perfect! Most of us do this with a lens filter that blocks most of the visible spectrum (like 750nm) and custom white balance set with a white card and the filter. Sepia will be ignored outright. Thank you! It's free! There's a real cost to operating and maintaining this site, not to mention all the time that I pour into it. Bee You can (just disregard Clarity), but it wont look exactly the same (pretty close, though). Perhaps because of the proliferation of smartphones and film filters, people are entering big camera photography with the expectation of no editing. Choose your sensor to find the film simulation recipes that are compatible with your Fujifilm camera: X-Trans IVX100V, X-Pro3, X-T4, X-T3, X-T30, X-S10 & X-E4, X-T30 II, X-Trans IIIX-Pro2, X100F, X-E3, X-T2, X-T20 & X-H1, X-Trans IIX100S, X100T, X-E2, X-E2S, X-T1, X-T10, X70, X20, X30, XQ1 & XQ2, BayerX100, X-A1, X-A2, X-A3, X-A5, X-A7,X-A10, XF10, X-T100 & X-T200, GFXGFX-50S, GFX-50R, GFX100, GFX100S, GFX-50S II, How To Add Film Simulation Recipes To Your Camera. The biggest limitation is time, unfortunately. After scrolling for hours on end through instagram, it became apparent to me that I liked the bright, maybe even slightly over exposed film shots. Definitely not a keeper. This recipe has quickly become one of my favorite black-and-white options! I shoot this at Negative -1/2 to -1 Ev and adjust on location as needed. Yes, I know the title is a bit.well bland and if course thats the last thing you want when thinking about recipes. K wasnt very forgiving with overexposureIll play around with it. I have them set up the same on both my XPro 3 as well as the X100V. After all, thats not really photography, its editing (duuurrrrr I know). Color Chrome Effect: Off Mike M White Tree Black Sky West Valley City, UT Fujifilm X100V Black & White Infrared. The T-Max recipe is a favorite, too. Sometimes I also use a Capture One preset pack called the classic presets, it has some great classic film simulations as well. I just checked. Crushed blacks, blown highlights and good sharpness. Thank you so much for all the inspiration, and all the useful and wonderful recipes, specifically! There also a small cloud formation to the left just above the larger clouds which looks like a ghostly figure with arms spread floating upward. Does anyone see the irony here? Another work around which I go into detail with my last YouTube Video on Dialing in Classic Negative is the ability to adjust these settings for your RAW files using Fujis X Raw Studio application. Hi, I really love the look of your X-trans IV recipe but I own a X-T30 without some options. Creative Collective 042: FXW Zine Issue 16 March2023, Try These 5 Fujifilm Film Simulation Recipes Today for a Color Negative FilmLook, How To Add Film Simulation Recipes To Your Fujifilm Camera, My Fujifilm X100V Kodachrome 64 Film Simulation Recipe. B&W Toning: 0 Take the Blind Film Simulation Recipe Test to See Which Might Be Your Favorite! xpo logistics trucking jobs. A sharp, hard, black and somewhat aggressive look. If you appreciated this article, please consider making a one-time gift contribution. Hey guys and as always welcome back! As with Acros, there are three variants for this mode; you can add a red, yellow, or green filter. I shoot this at 0+/- Ev and adjust on location as needed. White Balance: Daylight,+9 Red & -9 Blue. Ive linked back your site, @Ritschie. One option where I still have some doubts is the grain effect I feel the new size option is a definite improvement, but somehow I still dont find it as convincing as the grain from Capture One, let alone real film. Sharpness: 0 16. Slight S Curve. Dynamic Range: DR200 I mean come on, thats just a bit funny. For me it looks middle of the road good. I appreciate the comment! Change). When used in the high situations, this black and white recipe is just gorgeous! I use it primarily for portraits. I shot Kodachrome for many years and have yet to see anyone replicate it with digital so looking forward to trying this. February 5, 2023 @ When I go into the quick menu under C7, theres a Base C7 for Tri-X and a C7 for Tri-X when Im scrolling through the custom film simulations. Thus I entered a phase of trying out every possible recipe to get a feel for what I can do with a Fujifilm camera. Links to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and other services inserted in the comment text will be automatically embedded. White Balance: Daylight, Red +2, Blue -5 It might be best to highlight which sections were uofadetd. Im a fan of contrasty, grainy images when it comes to B&W, so I experimented a bit and discovered that the Acros film sim when shot at high ISOs produces some very film-like grain, which looks much more natural than the grain effect in the film sim settings. I dont have a specific film that this is geared towards, its just the look that I liked for my Jpegs. For your black and whites do you use the above Acros+R setting as well? Yeah, that would be great! So go on then, get of your arse and go make some great photographs. Dynamic Range: DR200 12:32 pm. But even the best smartphone photographers, edit. Required fields are marked *. Subject: Fujifilm Film Simulation Recipes & More. It was Fuji X Weeklys Fuji Superia 800 simulation. This post contains affiliate links, and if you make a purchase using my links Ill be compensated a small amount for it. 5:21 pm. Have you tried importing the jpgs to lightroom instead of the Rafs? Noise Reduction: -4 Make other edits to the image as nornal. Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more Reply Reply with quote Reply to thread Complain Its a weird quirk of the programming. Im glad that you like the recipe! Noise Reduction: -4 1:57 pm, Robert West Watch on. Like so many other Fujifilm users out there, one of the main things that drew me into the X series system was the quality of their jpg files and the film simulations. Highlights +40. I dont see this with the other custom film simulations (for example, theres no Base C1 and C1 for the Kodachrome64 simulation). I think the majority of film recipes use Classic Chrome as a baseline. Sharpness: 0 I enjoyed it very much. Weve come all this way just to return back to film? White Balance: Auto, Red +5, Blue -5 ISO: Auto, up to ISO 6400. Estimated Reading Time: 7 mins Ive seen some recipes online trying to mimic Classic Negative without having Classic Negative, but to be honest I never found them very similar. I tried making that shift to red many times. Take the Blind Film Simulation Recipe Test to See Which Might Be Your Favorite! Nice. Noise Reduction: -4 I also have a X-E1 (the x-pro1 is long gone) and thats still the only color recipe I use on that camera. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); My favorite Fujifilm film simulation recipes. Obviously wrong idea! So if you would use one of those filters with b&w film, youd use the appropriate filter with Monochrome. Dynamic Range: DR200 My personal black and white style will very likely be toned even warmer with some of the blacks crushed. You can also search on YouTube (eg for "fujifilm monochrome recipe") and there are videos where recommended settings are shown and talked about. The colors are punched up a few notches but the de-saturated look is still recognizable. Im working on more for sure. It is based on the Pro Neg profiles which are usually quite boring to me but in this case it works well. Thank you so much! But I dont know about the other sensors. Im Arran, creator of FUJIFEELS and general photography addict. Tri-X has a good reputation as a photojournalistic film therefore I was drawn to the recipe. Check out Ritchies Ricoh Recipes!Have a Nikon Z camera? LMAO.this was posted Feb 28 2020 The trick is to use a low Kelvin white balance in conjunction with a dramatic white balance shiftwhen using Acros+R. February 1, 2023 @ There you guys! Film Simulation Bracketing. I find the odd color shifts to be interesting. For example, this video was captured on an X-T4 using the X-Trans III CineStill 800T recipe: Monochrome (+Y, +R, +G)Dynamic Range: DR100Highlight: +4Shadow: +2Noise Reduction: -4Sharpening: +1Clarity: +4Toning: WC +1, MG 0Grain Effect: Weak, SmallColor Chrome Effect: StrongColor Chrome Effect Blue: StrongWhite Balance: Auto, 0 Red & 0 BlueISO: Auto, up to ISO 12800Exposure Compensation: -1/3 to +1/3 (typically). Ill have to give the R72 filter a try. Some of the landscape photos are stunning, almost surreal-looking. This is a great all rounder, and I will definitely be using this a lot more over the next few weeks and months. I found on my XT3 value R without +. . In my opinion it works well over exposed ( just like real portra ) and in contrasty outdoor lighting. Any digital camera has the potential to be infrared sensitive, but the process isnt easy or cheap. This can be inspirational even if you . Tips. This is an interesting take on near-infrared photography. Ill try this recipe next. It was love at first sight as soon as I saw Jonas Rasks images with this film sim, as it seemed to fit my film-look aesthetic right out of the box. If you enjoy black and white photography, save this vintage Noir film simulation recipe in your Fujifilm camera for portrait or street photography. I have them set up the same on both my XPro 3 as well as the X100V. The sheer number of images was overwhelming. I find that it doesnt always work well. One of the most used and most popular Fujifilm film simulations is Classic Chrome which mimics what people call Kodak colors. For your black and white preset, do you overexposed or under? You have obviously done a lot of trial and error to arrive at these settings, so thank you for being so unselfish with your secret recipes. Hi Roman, thank you for the kind words! Helped massively by the Across R Fujifilm Preset, there is a special feel the images it produces. I do, its https://www.instagram.com/luiscosta76/, Fantastic recipes, Luis. | FUJI X WEEKLY, 6 Reasons I Love My Fujifilm X100F - Doug Ash Photography, The 7 custom Fujifilm recipes on my camera right now Life, Unintended, Update Recipe(s) in the Spotlight Lus Costa Life Unintended Open Source Photography, Tips voor het bewerken van straatfotos Gerard van der Net Fotografie, Hiking With The Fujifilm X100F - A Love Letter, Luis Costa's Black & White Film Recipe - Beautiful Fuji, Color: +3 (sometimes Ill drop it to +1 when I want a less saturated look), Exposure compensation: typically between +1/3 and +1, Exposure compensation: typically between +1/3 and +2/3, Exposure compensation: between +1/3 and +2/3, ISO: usually 12800 but sometimes Ill switch to Auto-ISO with a minimum of 2000 if theres too much light or if I want less grain, adds a slight fade on the shadows using the tone curve. I would say its a bit like theyve used a hue-saturation slider and Ive noticed weird highlights on the higher DR settings. White Balance: 2750K, -5 Red & +9 Blue I have imported the JPEG+RAW but that uses so much disk space. Thanks! Sharpening -1. Drop file here. Thats it. I feel Im covered for most situations with this set up. ACROS is a black and white film simulation with an exceptional level of tonality and a very complex grain structure. Arran Cheetham FujiXweekly - https://fujixweekly.comKodak Tri-X 400 - https://fujixweekly.com/2020/06/18/fujifilm-x100v-f. Are you on instagram? Makes for a cutting image. But for amateurs like me who use photography to document their everyday life and the world around them, I strongly recommend giving it a try, I think youll be surprised with how liberating it is. So I have opted to push the JPEGs to my iPhone for posting and import the RAF to Lightroom. This is a keeper for sure. Click on the profile icon in the Basic panel. Kodachrome 64 is based off Kodachrome 64 - but with a WB set to Daylight and zeroed out tone curve. When used in the high situations, this black and white recipe is just gorgeous! This post is due to a request by @kmore on instagram and Kerry in real life. When I need high contrast but also vibrant colours, Pro Neg Hi hits the spot. Dynamic Range: DR400 Helped massively by the Across R Fujifilm Preset, there is a special feel the images it produces. Automatic white balance while often very useful can produce quite varied results under different lights. I love using this black and white preset for street photography. ISO: ISO 1600 - 12800. Overall I feel that this is Custom 7 has me set up for most situations. . His request basically forced my hand because Ive been toying with the idea of this post for a while. It isnt quite the same as the Classic Neg I was using on my previous Fuji, an X-Pro3 but its differences are both subtle and intriguing. Thank you, Thomas! Many landscape photographers, including Ansel Adams, employed a red filter to achieve a dark sky (for example,Moonrise Over Hernandez). This recipe actually reduces color a fair amount and therefore looks quite flat. Thank you Janice, Im glad you found them useful! On occasion I will do some digital for some agencies, but I really do like the feel and look of film and so do the clients. Required fields are marked *, Attachment If you are into black and white film simulation recipes for Fujifilm X-Trans IV cameras, you might want to try this Fuji Noir Film black and. Is there a way to use these film simulations for video as well? Earlier in 2018 I realized that I should really spend less time editing and more time shooting, so I decided to use the jpgs instead of the raw files as much as possible. This was my first recipe and it still holds a special place in my heart. https://www.shopmoment.com/reviews/why-shooting-jpegs-is-so-popular-10-fujifilm-simulation-recipes, On Being Ripped Off Or, Stop Stealing from Me, Top 10 Film Simulation Recipes of 2022 (& 2023 So Far). This gives a consistent warm look to my images. Choose your sensor to find the film simulation recipes that are compatible with your Fujifilm camera: X-Trans V X-Trans IV X-Trans III X-Trans II X-Trans I Bayer GFX New: Community Recipes! Remember, shoot this 1/3 to 1 full stop over exposed for the best results. Do these two settings still need to be done externally after saving the custom recipe, or can they be saved within the custom recipe itself? Please keep it coming! Marcel Fraij - Inspiring selection of colour and mono recipes, including a personal favourite of mine, C201. Many people bypass it completely, choosing to create black and white images in post. Creative Collective 042: FXW Zine Issue 16 March 2023, Try These 5 Fujifilm Film Simulation Recipes Today for a Color Negative Film Look, How To Add Film Simulation Recipes To Your Fujifilm Camera, My Fujifilm X100V Kodachrome 64 Film Simulation Recipe, Fujifilm X100V Film Simulation Recipe: Kodak Portra 400 v2, Fujifilm X100V Film Simulation: Kodak Portra 400, A $400 Alternative to the Fujifilm X100V, X-E4, and X70, My Fujifilm X100F Vintage Kodachrome Film Simulation Recipe. After the Acros film simulation was released in 2016 along with the Fujifilm X-Pro2, I found the Monochrome simulations to be somewhat redundant. This has been a huge help, many thanks. Dont get me wrongI use both media, but for my professional work, the really excellent quality refined work, I shoot in medium or large format film.