When all said and done, and your time has come, how are you gonna know you lived a life of impact? Is that correct? You, you know, you love all your family members. And try to still find that commonality with people. Yeah. This attracted the attention of a larger record label, Metal Blade, who released their next few albums. I Like Your Old Stuff is for fans of classic albums & icons of music. Captain John R. Maus, a 57-year-old from Las Vegas . and device data and in accordance with the. (2002) " I'm Still Here ( Jim 's Theme) " is a song written by the Goo Goo Dolls frontman John Rzeznik for the Disney film Treasure Planet. The whole time I was growing up, it was like, it was like going to boy scout camp. I felt so closed off from the rest of the world. Mike Sarraille: You know, I had, I was having a bad time in high school and, and, uh, or whatever. So there was, there was a brief period of time where I was like, hopping around to friends' homes and things like that. And he did until, until he just couldn't anymore. Oh, well, you know, you are always welcome when we come back, you know, you know, um, yeah. You get, you either get up or die. Um, it was really a freaky situation. And, and, uh, I, I had to, I was like, I'm never getting on an airplane again. I love Sam Hager. And that, that was really became a motivating factor in my life. Um, and when you, and then you, and then you put Covid on top of it and you're trapped in the house and you have a lot of time to think and introspection and that, and, and this, this album is sort of a, uh, it's kind of a reflection on like, just being a human being during this insane time in history, you know? People leave their differences at the door and we need to find common ground, something as stupid as a few songs, This guy, that girl, these, all these people from every walk of life. It's like musicians, they're great musicians and then there are musicians that are not that good. And then, and you know it, and then you see their faces. You know, Mike Sarraille: You know, Samma Hagar said something very similar to, to, to us in his interview. I just have annoying, I'm just annoying and neurotic at times, you know? And the only, and I'll tell you why people use alcohol and drugs cuz they work until they don't. BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) _ A commuter plane carrying former U.S. Sen. John Tower, his daughter and 21 others crashed and burned Friday, killing all on board, authorities said. Um, well, uh, we got to play at Red Rocks up in Colorado. That's what I up, Mike Sarraille: John Rzeznik: So I'd better do it right.". The song was released by Rzeznik as a solo track. Um, but anyway, on that aside, but, um, it caused me a lot, a lot of fear that I couldn't control. [citation needed]. That we're. Get official Goo Goo Dolls merch and vinyl here. John. , you went to college for a, a short stint. And, um, we are being tested on so many levels as individuals, as, as, as Americans, as as human beings. I don't care if you are a professional athlete that has made it in, in an individual sport, like let's say singles tennis. What happens when more people don't like me than like me? My dad was a mailman, my mom was a school teacher. And my dad, my dad was very kind of a dark guy. But I, cause I, I couldn't get warm, you know? And yes, when we use that word, it's not cultural, uh, appropriation. Yeah. He has written books. It's like, we need to find solutions. And now I'm, now I'm fine in a swimming pool, you know what I mean? John Rzeznik: So I had, I had a reason to talk to every pretty girl in the bar. Yeah. You need, you need your tribe. I'm gonna teach you how to cook. And, uh, your song probably came on more times, uh, and I was joking with one of my old recon buddies, is we, we had a little, uh, you know, radio receiver with a little speaker and, uh, he's like, Dude, I remember that song coming on, uh, way too often. Yeah, Yeah. He said, Sometimes things happen where, uh, someone gets, as he said, fucked, but, uh, it was never his intent. It's like we all have potential. And there's times, you know, there are , there are times, you know, I've said I pushed the right button and, you know, he jumped across a coffee table and try to kill me. Those are powerful, man. Iron sharpens iron, so is one man sharpens another. They just internalized. Had I known you guys were playing there, we would've come out. And I occasionally, for every 10 things I get wrong, I get one thing, right. I mean, you, you, what you do is much was what you were doing was much more serious. The biggest regret in my life, and I thought about this, I was, I was in the gym yesterday and I was thinking like the biggest regret in my life and I'm just like, Wow, there are a lot, you know, small ones and big ones, you know, but, but, um, you know, wow, I, I regret it can't be something like, Oh, regret, I didn't talk to that really beautiful woman 30 years ago, whatever. Cuz it's like, screw you. I agree. Oh hell yeah. So in that moment what I did was I ordered wine for the whole table and I'm like, This is not your problem. I mean, you know. Everyone walked away. So I knew that I could get out, but I had to keep exposing myself to that fear and that anxiety until it didn't affect me. That's what that song Yeah, I Like You is about, because it's like, this is, this is what celebrity is now. They got to work and, uh, yeah, they got, Mike Sarraille: Um, so the one thing with this book is I wanted to make it very inclusive of, it doesn't matter who you are, sex, gender, sexual orientation, uh, it applies to everyone. Or what would you have wanted your legacy to be? Cl, https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/interview-goo-goo-dolls-johnny-rzeznik, https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/90s-rock-ballads-youll-never-forget, https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/goo-goo-dolls-return-with-miracle-pill, https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/dizzy-up-the-girl-goo-goo-dolls, https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/watch-ozzy-osbourne-super-bowl-ad, https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/remembering-van-halens-eruption-solo-1992-wm, https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/6-songs-dolly-parton-wrote-wm, https://www.ilikeyouroldstuff.com/news/rip-renee-geyer-australian-singer-wm, By submitting my information, I agree to receive personalized updates and marketing messages And I know I have this five year old little girl, and I go and I tell her all the time, because I wish somebody would've said this to me. My wife and I. John Rzeznik: We have to take action to get shit done. Flight 255 is the seventh deadliest plane crash in United States history, and is the deadliest aviation disaster to have a sole survivor. Yeah. So instead of giving him pills and, and just, you know, a check every month or whatever, um, his, his little, uh, village, they sat down and they talked with him, right? And, you know, um, and I think people just kind of sit there and, and win and bitch and, and nothing gets done. So I, I want to go back cuz you know, rarely do people know about the history of high profile musicians such as yourself, uh, you know, sports stars, but, uh, one you were born in, uh, Buffalo, New York, which I don't know if you're a Buffalo Bills fan, but man, uh, you guys just can't seem to, uh, to pull it out, dude. Um, you know, I think you do need to open up and you need to be help, but you, but I, I think that the problem, because like, I went to therapy for like, and I still go to therapy in little blocks of time. Mike Sarraille: So what do you do. Very few of them never talked about it. Um, there are a lot of people trying to make a buck off, off of my disease or my, my illness or whatever you wanna call it. It amazes me, the fact that it has lasted so long. And, um, you know, and I think that, that, you know, Robbie is one of the guys, he won't give up. And um, and then I did, and then I went to rehab and it didn't work. He is best known as an American singer, producer, and song writer. Yeah. The Howard Stern Show published this video item,. And wherever I get together with musicians there, that's my tribe. Keith Richards got to do his thing with Chuck Berry, and I got to do it with Westerberg. Are you guys freaking more out by the end of the door? It's like, well, yeah, where are you gonna go? So, um, let's, let's jump into the music though, because you, you went through serious obstacles. [15], Most of the music Rzeznik listened to while growing up was influenced by his sisters, and consisted of classic rock such as The Rolling Stones and The Kinks. Johnny Rzeznik and the Goo Goo Dolls survived a plane crash in 1999, as recounted in this episode of the Howard Stern Show, from 2000. I think I, I try to be careful of it. Category. And you talk about legacy, you know, there's, there's a time when John re you know, Resnik will no longer be here, but your music will remain. Yeah. I know tons of people who are considered geniuses and they can't get off their ass and get anything done. And you are, I don't know how you mean, you know, we're very into self-reliance, but we are, But the interdependence between you and your fellow soldiers warriors, that's something that's, that's a bond that's so important. John Joseph Theodore Rzeznik ( born December 5, 1965), also known as Johnny Rzeznik, is an American guitarist, vocalist, songwriter, and producer. Happy Wednesday, everyone! You know, this is not what women are for. He is recognized by many for being both talented and handsome. And, and that's why I've been very wary of where I go in my sobriety to, to get help, to find my community, to help find my tribe of drunks that I can, that we can help each other through this and stay sober. They're like, the man takes the drink, the drink takes the drink, the drink takes the man. You know, Mike Sarraille: Mike Sarraille: We still meet up every day in the morning for coffee, and we discuss what's going on. You know, And that was, that was always one of the things that when we were coming up in music, the people, the older people, I always listened to the, the old school music guys. If I'm afraid to talk to someone, I have to go talk to that person, you know? Like, I always think of what we've done, the path that we've taken is you gotta look for your little victories and you gotta hang onto those and use those to propel you to the next little victory. I think my dad did though. . Mike Sarraille: Theres an epidemic of gun violence and its sad. But, um, he got, he was, he was a dark individual. We, we sort of, my heart broke over and over and over again for, uh, you know, for my town, you know, because cuz the bills are like everything, you know, and the city, you know, I love my city and it's always gonna be my home and my whole family still lives there. As you're saying that, man, now I'm thinking of my 37 to about 40 until I turned 40, uh, coming off a divorce, leaving the military, uh, hanging with a, and I don't, I want to be careful not to call them poison, but they were a fun group. We are living in really scary, tenuous times. I guess that's part of being everyday warrior. Like I am not the identified, I became the identified patient, which leads to victimhood in a way. Well, I think, I think in general, yeah, I think in general now that, that is kind of the thing. Yeah. Um, you know, and, and, and when you are going to fails, but you just keep going. I think this is something that I, I'm just gonna say that I think, like I have, I've been to a few therapists in my life and over the past few years, you know, you have to tell your story to the therapist. 10,000 people like me. Taylor Swift is one of the Goo Goo Dolls many fans who have been inspired by the bands music. Um, but everyone, you know, even Isis, Al-Qaeda, Hell's Angels also offers a form of homecoming and belonging to, to a young impoverished kid who, who's never been part of a group to, to them that's, that's like a drug. And that's what's going on now. "And when something good . Google dolls.com. John Rzeznik: So I, I need somebody who's gonna be good for me and. It's like public speaking. And that's to present that kind of strength. This is ridiculous. That's easy, dude. And again, that's my opinion of regardless if you have mental health issues, and first off, lemme tell you that somebody said it, great mental health issues does not mean mental weakness. Um, I believe that it was, it, I was born with it. Cool. And I, and, and that's something that I've, I've, I've tried to take to heart, you know, I mean, you know, there's music that's medicine. And some of 'em didn't like me. And I definitely put that in the bucket of moral courage. You know? Kicking off with the line, And Id give up forever to touch you, Iris feels like listeners are joining the song partway through a dialogue between lovers. Was it, was it you that came to the conclusion that you needed help or was it those close to you that say, Hey John, we've, we've, this, this has gotta stop? But once again, that guy was an everyday warrior because I don't know how you get up every morning at four 30 in the morning, go to work, carry mail, work at the post office, and then drink a quarter whiskey and then get up and do it every day for 20 something years. No. [16] Rzeznik attributes his gift for melody to listening to bands such as Kiss, Cheap Trick, The Cure and Rush in the early 1980s. John Rzeznik: Sometimes he would be like, Get in the car, we're getting outta here cause it's all women. I don't know what, Why do you think that generation was wired that way? Mike Sarraille: He, he called it Don't fuck anyone or Don't try to fuck anyone. Let me deal with it. Or Both? Since the late '90s, Rzeznik has used Fender electric guitars. I was out on stage the other night and there was about 12,000 people at the show. And, um, so, uh, it was like, I remember going to bed that night really, really late. That's a deal. But, but when I know that people are so divided along all kinds of lines in this country and in the world too right now, But one of the things that I have been noticing this summer, because I've been gone for three years, I've been toured in three years. (News file photo) By BN The Goo Goo Dolls named one of their first. Is that, is that accurate? I think my dad did though, because he was, he was very, he was, he was a hardcore alcoholic. And, and I mean, we remain professional and tactful, but, uh, there is a difference between love and liking. The band received early success with the single "Name" as well as being featured in Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare with the song "I'm Awake Now". And of course the diagnosis of mental health is subjective. Mike Sarraille: Um, keep your ego in check. You are there because people have enabled and supported and coached and mentored you. Frontman Johnny Rzeznik admits jack-knifed wrecks aren't the only perils facing your average rock star: unhinged fans practising witchcraft are just as dangerous. No, I'm, uh, secretly jealous of it. And, and you know, you, you gotta have, you gotta have some, some ego to get up on stage in front of people or you, you know, you, and you gotta have, I'm not gonna call it ego, I'm gonna call it what it is, balls to do what you did. Again. This is a bad relationship. Rzeznik declared, "We're going to keep going until this shit stops". He has created ten studio albums with the band, which earned him lots of public notice and acclaim. And there's a lot that people will learn from your advice in this, John Rzeznik: It depends on the person. You. That, that is a great story. I mean, cuz we didn't really have anything when we were growing up, you know? Now this is someone's opinion who, if they didn't like the record, it wasn't coming out. It's just an indication that you may be doing it the wrong way and you've gotta make these, these, these, these changes. So I, I'm a tandem master. Okay, You want to have enough strength so that nobody wants to screw with us, You know? As well as walking away from an Italian plane crash in 1999, the Buffalo, New York group also survived a number of perilous van smashes in the bands early days. You gotta do what's best for the song anyway. And usually if you follow them with discipline, uh, you know, usually lead to good outcomes. And you had a sense of purpose. They're like, I've never had this and now I belong to this, this group, regardless if they're a criminal organization or, or, or, or nonprofit. Its just some stupid quirk in my writing and I have been reprimanded for it many times, but fuck you, Im writing it how I want to write it! Google dolls.com Okay. Mike Sarraille: John Rzeznik: You get up 11 times. Um, you know, um, that old, that old message of shut up and just persevere, you know, it, there's a component of that that's necessary, but you also need to have people to talk to. ", "The Next Great American Band Official Website", "Songwriters Hall of Fame 2008 Award and Induction Ceremony Induction Ceremonies", "Watch Goo Goo Dolls Singer Live from Westfield in Benefit to Fight Hunger", "Rank Your Records: John Rzeznik Plays Favorites with the Goo Goo Dolls Records", "Catching up with Johnny Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls", "Goo Goo Dolls' Johnny Rzeznik Is Engaged", "John Rzeznik and Wife Welcome Daughter Liliana Carella", "John Rzeznik unveiled: Goo Goo Dolls frontman finds peace in sobriety, love in fatherhood", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=John_Rzeznik&oldid=1138331259, This page was last edited on 9 February 2023, at 02:50. Or not. That, that's really easy. Uh, yeah. In episode 28 of the Everyday Warrior Podcast Episode, we spoke to John Rzeznik, guitarist and frontman of the Goo Goo Dolls. Um, I, I, I do agree with people being more vulnerable, uh, discussing their problems, cuz that's the best way to get through them. But they just came home. They were soon picked up by a small record label, Celluloid. Following the album Gutterflower, Rzeznik wrote "Always Know Where You Are" and "I'm Still Here" for the Disney film Treasure Planet,[11] which were also released as a single independently from the band. Mike Sarraille: Uh, you really are putting your hands into to, to somebody else's life. Uh, I'm looking forward to hearing this, uh, this new album. But, but, uh, because you're so toxic yourself. I feel that way about Westerberg. And we all love to feel sorry for ourselves on occasion. Are supporting you. This performance was captured on DVD and CD for the public in the Goo Goo Dolls release Live in Buffalo: July 4, 2004. And when this came through, they said, Hey, do you want to interview John Resnick? An exclusive HITS dialogue with the Goo Goo Dolls' Johnny Rzeznik and Robby Takac by Lesley Zimmerman As the Goo Goo Dolls ' founding members Johnny Rzeznik and Robby Takac embark on their 16th year together as a unit, they've finally achievedand sustainedcommercial success and mainstream acceptance. But I've seen people who have real PTSD and my little annoyances and neurosis don't stack up to what that really is. To always pick yourself up by the bootstraps? But what I had to do, because I'm like, Well, wait a minute. No, because they're entitled to them because their life experiences are different than yours. Towards the end, um, when you were 15 and 16, you, you lost your mom or your father and your, your mother, uh, respectively back to back. One of my sister's boyfriends threw me in the deep end of the pool, just threw me in the pool. Um, cuz I'll tell you, I loved my men and women a lot more than I hated the enemy on, on the other side of the battlefield. Yeah. At the 2004 Fashion Rocks! And the disease got him. Um, you know, and, and, and, and, you know, we still meet up every day on tour. You overcame serious obstacles in, in the early part of your life. I, I just hope that I left my little corner of the world just a little bit better than I found it, you know? I can't take care of you. And I tell her, Look at me, look at me, Lilly, you have greatness inside you, but you gotta do the work. Mike Sarraille: Um, but I think there has to be a solution focused, you have to aim towards, towards a solution. It was pretty crazy. Because it comes from yourself. I think everyone in our country is just fatigued and slightly shocked, Rzeznik laughs wearily. So I felt as though I needed to, I felt the only path for me to get over this fear was to move through it and get to the other side of it. And I love him. Mike Sarraille: Um, it took a long time for me, but here's the deal. Mens Journals Everyday Warrior With Mike Sarraille is a podcast that inspires individuals to live more fulfilling lives by having conversations with disrupters and high performers in all walks of life. Do, do people come up a lot and they're like, Hey, that one song reminds me of this time of my life. I've gotta go to the gym every day. Woo gives me the creeps thinking about it. That was amazing to me. Like, all right man, come here, third arm. Yeah. It is amazing that that happens. Mike Sarraille: John Rzeznik: [citation needed], In 1985, Rzeznik formed the band that became the Goo Goo Dolls with Robby Takac. Mike Sarraille: But I, I, I think there, I think we have, uh, some darker days ahead of us than than son of your days. We do not accept. First, head over and give a listen to this new Grant Buchanan interview with John Rzeznik,. Right on, man. It turned out to be one of the strongest rainstorms of the year in Buffalo, but the Goo Goo Dolls did not stop playing. It was, it was chaos and it was nuts. Um, but yeah, people have to reframe the way they, they look at failure and it is the, it is life's greatest manner. And I, and I let him get in my head. "We've had a few run-ins with mentally unstable fans and it's a little bit scary," Rzeznik explains. Like there are these, uh, fans of our band who they get together, they meet from all over the country, and they get together and they come to a few shows together and they've, they've had these friendships that developed and, and, and I'm like, that's so cool that they bonded over something. Mike Sarraille: We're gonna keep going. Wow. I mean, it doesn't matter what you're doing, if you have a collective group around you that all have the same sense of purpose. Yeah. And, um, you gotta be careful of it. I don't think you're mutually exclusive in, in, in my opinion. I think that there's a certain element of that that, I mean, it's like a survival skill in a way, don't you think? Johnny Rzeznik and the Goo Goo Dolls share the harrowing story of surviving a 1999 plane crash.SUBSCRIBE for more videos: http://bit.ly/2qswmZUWant to know what's going on with Howard Stern in the future?Follow us on Twitter: http://bit.ly/1RzxGPDOn Facebook: http://on.fb.me/1JELtz3On Instagram: https://goo.gl/VsWTNDFor more great content from the Howard Stern Show visit our official website: http://www.HowardStern.comHear more Howard Stern by signing up for a free SiriusXM trial: https://goo.gl/uNL0Du#HowardStern #SternShow I mean, they lost hundreds on du day alone in a matter of minutes. It's like people in Buffalo are, are naturally a hard workers B, honest and, and, uh, c they, they have the ability to adapt and, and, and reinvent themselves. Men's Journal 's Everyday Warrior With Mike Sarraille is a podcast that inspires individuals to live more fulfilling lives by having conversations with disrupters and high performers in all walks.