Then later I would let them have puffs off my cigarettes. Tell your kids that you believe in them, that you are proud of them, and that you will be with them every step of the way. By age three I was smoking over a half pack a day. I was 17 at the time, and he was eighteen, so he could buy them. I must have been clueless, I missed all the signs that my daughter. She lights up in front of her mom and everyone else and starts puffing away and blowing a lot of smoke everywhere. You're constantly engulfed in cigarette smoke and in a nicotine stupor all the time and your 2-3 packs a day habit is getting very expensive but you don't care cause all you want is another cigarette. Janine continued to make friends and became active in many of the event at school. Motivate your daughter to get into activities that dont allow smoking, such as sports. my daughter started smoking. Smoking. Sweetheart you're smoking way too much. It has an easy-to-follow quit smoking program and a tracker to help you check your progress. But then, as parents, we must rescue them from such activities. Your daughter might start smoking to feel independent. Me and my husband have the same feeling about smoke. Research shows that the population that has the most difficulty quitting cigarettes is teen-agers. Want to read confessions and comments uncensored? How do we start-Go out and by a pack of cigarettes of your choice, Full flavor or light, Menthol or Regular 2. This educational content is not medical or diagnostic advice. I did not want her to learn from some kid. I don't really think punishing her will help as if she has been smoking for a few months she will be addicted. The mother shared that she was somehow guilty at first but doesnt think its not bad at all for her 6-year-old to smoke. My wife & i are a love affair with our cigarettes, and together me (also who started young at 7) and my beloved (a late bloomer smoker) agreed that we didn't mind letting them have puffs of our smokes and felt pleased when they both became addicted smokers at 6 & 7. Copyright 2021 Quit All Right Reserved. Most importantly, consider trying the following suggestions to reinforce your stand against smoking: My daughter wants to start smoking can be a disturbing turn of events for parents. Before my sister left after dinner, we each smoked 4 or 5 more. My dh is deadset on never letting his mom hold her again until something is done. We did not inhale and after that first cigarette we ate lunch. Allow her to make her own choice. I allowed her to smoke anywhere I smoked including in public. They are now 13, 1w, and 9 and still love their cigarettes. i My daughter smokes. Sorry but don't let her hold your baby. I think my 6 year old niece may be interested in smoking she was cruella deville for Halloween and had a fake cigarette holder as part of her costume and kept posing with it and pretending to take drags she even told me she likes the smell of cigarette smoke from when she's been around her negibors who smoke unfortunately her parents don't smoke and are anti smoking but I'm wounding if the interest she has shown in pretending and the fact she likes the smell of cigarettes means she may want to learn to smoke and I could let her do it when she's not around her parents somehow but then not sure how that would work once she's addicted and I'm not around every day to help her out. Then have her smell some fresh laundry, then whatever she was wearing when she smoked. The daughter said that she doesn't wake up in the night to smoke but if she does awake and get up she'll enjoy a cigarette before going back to bed just because she loves that cigarette that much. Ask children what they find appealing or non-appealing about smoking. I vividly remember my mother smoking in the car: the sandy snap of the lighter flame, seeing her lips purse around the filter, and the way that she angled the burning end of the cigarette out of the open slit of the driver's side window. She suggested taking your daughter to the cancer ward of a hospital. Janine made some new friends with the older students. Archived discussions are usually a bit older and not as active as other community content. You people make me sick. Because of a program between the high school and the college and advanced placement courses Janine started college as a sophomore with 45 hours. You don't want her developing asthma or worse over this. In some cases, children who smoke are copying their parents who do. She loved to suck she loved to blow she loved cigarettes as now you know. Now 3 months preggo but I have decided I My husband and I are both heavy smokers. What should parents who smoke do if they dont want their child to smoke? Since then, I think the smell of cigarettes has been a "comfort smell" to my wife. I had to watch myself so I would not smoke too much. It is particularly dangerous for teens as their lungs have not yet fully developed. He says while she made a foolish mistake to start smoking, Alicia is no longer a baby and should be able to make her own decisions -- even if they are bad. I remember smoking my first cigarette with my two best friends at the age of 13. The post about how to tell my cousin who is a single mom no to asking for money. Each time he's abroad, I start to forget what cigarettes smells like in a car with windows closed. My daughter wants to start smoking can be a disturbing turn of events for parents. Just because you smoke doesn't mean you give up the responsibility to stop your child from doing it.. As far as I know they have not already tried. Arnie Pye. Janine and her boyfriend live a couple of blocks away and we see each other often and she also increased to a couple of packs. I had a supervisor woman who was a heavy smoker on Marlboro lights 100s only. Now she's a full blown full on full flavor full filter full length full fun heavy smoker chimney girl head over heels in love with heavy cigarette smoking full flavor Marlboro 100s. You can easily search for information online that can help you teach your kids about smoking and its consequences. No, it is not. They will have fresher breath and whiter teeth. Kym Marsh has sparked controversy after she was pictured SMOKING with her 16-year-old daughter Emily Cunliffe. Your children are lucky that you let them start when they were eight. My daughter wants to smoke in the house Should I let my 16-year-old daughter smoke cigarettes at home so. When parents who smoke make a step toward breaking their own patterns, they can influence and support their young ones better in doing the same. If I were you, Id sit her down in front of the computer and show her the damage that smoking could be doing to her body. She loves to full up her ashtray, she loves her life the smokers way she super hooked and sucks and puffs away full flavored 100s two packs a day. If she has a child similar issues, I am sure she will do the same thing. Instead, make them understand the impact of tobacco on their well-being and mental health from a young age. It's good that your big daughters are already starting to let the little ones take puffs on their cigarettes. Your post will be hidden and deleted by moderators. One day when I was 14 she gave me a cigarette and told me it was time I tried smoking. Rather than scolding me the principal said she was a smoker and thought we had done Janine a favor. Since its too late for the mother to prevent exposing her daughter to tobacco products, the best course of action for her now is to help her daughter quit, and try to quit herself. To my surprise, with little hesitation she said if I was going to start, she would too. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. Several studies found that kids of smokers are twice more likely to smoke compared to kids of nonsmokers. We quit together in 2010. She loved her cigarette to no end puffing away as often as she could and didn't care what anyone thought. My dh and I have decided not to go to her apartment because we don't want Hannah around the smoke, but we can't keep her from coming to our house. Healthcare professionals advise against smoking due to serious health issues that can affect the smoker and the people around him and the high risk for nicotine addiction. Make sure that they understand the health risks, and answer any questions that they may have. However, it would be best to approach the situation reasonably. Help your daughter calculate how much money she might spend on smoking every day. It is normal to feel angry, disappointed, or scared and be reactive when you have just found out that your kid is smoking, especially if they broke the rules. If you do not receive your email shortly, please check your spam folder. She's not being a brat about it are anything, she saw me using the e-gig and asked if she could start smoking. I know this is bullshit, but I'm just curious? My Dr. told me that, with my family history (her husband is treating my Mom) she would probably prescribe nicotine for me if I had quit smoking instead of switching to vaping. If you do not receive your email shortly, please check your spam folder. It is good to hear that there are still parents who allow their young children to smoke. If you would like to chat via email my address is paul.horgan@ymail.com.Feel the fear and do it anyway.I Be brave an make your family, like ours, a happy smoking family.Warm regards, P, Getting them into smoking is the best thing a mother can do. Any suggestions on how I should handle this? And you're sucking harder and harder on those long strong cigarettes and blowing bigger and bigger clouds of smoke. It is the feeling of allowing yourself a break from what it is that you are doing. At their age, they may not really think that far into the future to worry about the complications of smoking. Additionally, by placing her in an environment with others older than her we were not helping the situation. I kept my promise but seems like she didn't. As for not getting my daughter in it, I didn't my daughter seen my wife smoking. The short answer is Cathy started smoking cigarettes years ago for her smoker husband named Paul. Set firm rules that dont condone smoking and drug abuse. Need advice. I think its a fascination and see what its like kinda deal. I truly enjoy smoking and wish I had started when I was a teenager when my sister tried to get me to smoke. Being at home without classes I started smoking more and got up to 2 packs a day. JavaScript is disabled. Dont wait until kids turn to teenagers to talk about smoking. That's disgusting. They each smoke about 2PPD.I smoke 3-4 PPD of Dunhill.Belinda, Any moore parents let there children smoke. However, there is a high chance your daughter will come across tobacco adverts and branding through the internet and social platforms. I've always Hello everyone my name is Pam. She hit me with the next bombshell and told me I would have to start smoking with her. Reply to misterpoll comment. Both our parents smoked but I never took up the habit. If you do not receive your email shortly, please check your spam folder. Aside from developing substance dependence early on, kids who smoke are at risk of becoming lifetime cigarette users. I saw this precious woman come out of her car to bring her groceries into her house only this woman had a cork 100 cigarette hanging out of her mouth. Cigarettes were the love of her life, she's a thousand times more hooked and in love with cigarettes than she ever thought possible. She hopes that they never even try. don't think i have to explain any further. My in laws are both cigarette smokers (MIL smokes probably every other hour easily and has never been able to quit, FIL quits for 2 weeks, then will smoke one weekend and go back to quitting).My husband does not smoke, Update: For those of you shocked at my previous post last week abt how to tell a family member no when they ask for money.