Yeah I'm quite sure it would , which is why I'm worried. Once you have completed all the necessary sections of the application form, please pay the application fees and submit your online application. Got my interview this afternoon as well! Surprised you don't see the problem here. how did everyone else feel? There is a difference between the minimum GPA required for entrance into a program and the GPA that is competitive and will more likely result in acceptance. The Occupational Therapist works under the supervision of the Health Services Manager. Startan application online through the Faculty of Graduate and Post-doctoral Studiesonline application system. During my undergrad at UBC, they didn't use a standard GPA grading system. How many students are admitted each year? Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Thanks! So hopefully we find out next week??? Applicants with credentials from institutions in which English is not the primary language of instruction, or in which documents are printed in a language other than English, are required to have their transcripts evaluated by a credentialing service, such as the. This is an automatic comment on every post. The University of British Columbia is subject to the requirements of the Criminal Records Review Act (CRRA); meaning all students, who are enrolled in programs that include a practicum component involving work with children or vulnerable adults, will have to undergo a criminal record check before they will be permitted to register in the practicum. If your volunteer/work experience referee does not have an institutional email address, did not receive the automated link, or if you have completed your minimum 70 hours of volunteer/work experience at two organizations/facilities and will have a supplemental referee (for a total of four references: two academic and two volunteer/work), please have them fill out and submit the Volunteer & Work Experience Reference Form via email to mot.admissions@ubc.ca. If your employer does not have an institutional email address or did not receive the automated link, please them have fill out and submit the Academic Reference Form via email to mot.admissions@ubc.ca. I also just received a letter via snail mail today too. My biggest weakness is that I get too engrossed in my job that I miss some of the things happening in life. I'm just practicing by thinking of questions and forming my answers. However, I particularly love constructive feedback since I find them helpful and encouraging. Make sure that you sell yourself, highlight your outstanding qualities and mention any quality reasons why you deserve the job. Good luck everyone. Not many prompts were given; as in, they did not ask me to elaborate at any time, simply letting me discuss as desired. You must therefore be able to handle such stressful moments and ensure that you wont lag. If you are applying to the Master of Occupational Therapy North, please also upload your additional documentation prior to the deadline. If you are asking a question, don't forget to check the sub FAQs, or do a search of the sub to see if your question has been answered already. I also have no idea how many people/percentages do you think those numbers would affect us since they prefer BC residents? May-August) cannot apply for the same years September intake. The Department of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy is committed to creating a professional community that provides the best possible education for occupational therapists and scholars in the field. Apply for the MOT program through the UBC Graduate Studies Online Application portal. Minimum GPAs requirements are not a guarantee for entry. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Occupational Therapy University Interview Questions There are many different questions you may be asked at your Occupational Therapy university interview, so we've provided a comprehensive list of those commonly asked by nursing admissions tutors at UK universities. Also received the unofficial email offer from UBC! What do you know about the Council of Occupational Therapists for European Countries? Please ensure you meet our admission requirements before you start your application. A clinical faculty member, to my knowledge, means that the individual is a teacher who also practices; faculty members do not practice (though he/shemay have in the past). Can you think of a team situation where your communication skills have been essential? I recently finished my internship and havent, therefore, stayed for long in the field. It looks like its simply a panel interview, with 125 people interviewing for 48 spots (I'm guessing its info from past years?). If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. UBC interview advice Hi there! I appreciate all types of feedback since they help me restrategize and improve or keep on doing the good work. We have experience of formal academic and professional Occupational Therapy entrance processes. The University of British Columbia (UBC) and the Faculty of Medicine (FoM) strategic plans, including vision, mission and values, inform the direction of the Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy (OSOT). According to the UBC Interview Info email, the interviewers do not see any part of your application except for your 500-word statement of intent. Anyone on Vancouver Island want to practice for interview? Johns Hopkins Hospital outlines an excellent technique known as the PEARLS Method. Oh that's comforting to know there's only 125 being interviewed, I was under the impression that it'd be around 200-300 (like Mac) and 48 out of that is kind of depressingly low. INITIAL ASSIGNMENT In-Home (SUD IH OT-016). It all depends on the applicants applying for this particular cohort so they aren't going to post on their website that you must have 84% because that's not true. In order for your experience to be counted, you must have been hired directly by an organization as an employee or volunteer. Hard to get in all the stuff you want toI can't wait until April 2-5. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns. Any suggestions I make is simply my own thoughts nothingon this page has been validated by the Staff or Faculty of UBC OSOT. Give an example of a situation where you have supported a friend in a difficult social circumstance. Find out more about what you need and how to complete the test. As we mentioned before, occupational therapy is a comprehensive and multidisciplinary field that brings together several people. I figured I'd start a similar thread for OT applicants for UBC. For applicants using two facilities/organizations to complete their 70 hour experience requirement, please see. You will need tocreate a new CWL accountif you dont already have one. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. All applicants who completed their degree inanuniversity outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction must provide results of an English language proficiency examination as part of their application. You can check the status of your application and supporting materials through theonline application system. MOT (All cohorts: Vancouver, North, Fraser): If your uploaded document is in an accepted format, but is unreadable or corrupt, you will be asked tore-upload your documentation. If this is your first time posting, please read the sub rules. I'm going to be flying out. While most job interviews consist of standard questions about character and work ethic, its a good idea to research the types of questions you might encounter for OT positions. We respectfully acknowledge that our faculty, staff and students are located across the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the xmkym(Musqueam), Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh First Nation, Syilx Okanagan Nation and Lheidli Tenneh (Dakelh (Carrier) First Nation) people. You need to focus more on your experience and less on your personal life. He was a veteran who had been injured at war and therefore had a hard time going back to his life. $8 190x Birmingham-Beaumont Oil Stock Certificate Coins & Paper Money Stocks & Bonds, Scripophily Oil & Gas The Occupational Therapist (OT) works in collaboration with the client, caregivers and family to facilitate, restore and/or maintain the patient/clients optimal level of function in the areas of self-care, productivity and leisure. The prompt will become available once applications open and the completed document must be uploaded to the online portal no later than the application deadline. May-August) cannot apply for the same years September intake. I applied to UBC OT and haven't heard anything. Some of your roles will be handling difficult situations with patients. How can you know that someone requires occupational therapy and even advise them to seek it? Casual employees receive 13 percent of straight time pay, exclusive of all premiums, in lieu of . The Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy. Whether you are starting your journey or looking for professional development or further research opportunities, explore our programs. Sample Answerif(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'projectpractical_com-leader-4','ezslot_24',617,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-projectpractical_com-leader-4-0'); My most outstanding achievement in this career was helping a war veteran injured in Afghanistan recover, develop and acquire skills that would help him in his daily life. (LogOut/ Use them to test your understanding of Practice Standards, guide discussions with your colleagues, and reflect on your own practice. I once had a different approach to a given task which was against what my boss wanted. Has anyone heard anything else? Rectangular in shape, the room had windows with a height of a metre coming down from the top of the wall across from me. Our research improves the health and well-being of individuals and society with a unique focus on the occupations of daily life. Start here! Sample Answerif(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'projectpractical_com-leader-2','ezslot_22',635,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-projectpractical_com-leader-2-0'); I believe that my greatest strength lies in my ability to think critically and use strong clinical reasoning based on science and evidence when offering care to patients for excellent results. Who do you think will be the most important people you will work with as an Occupational Therapist? He saw sense in what I was pushing for and agreed with it. However, do not give a flaw that will stand in your way to performance and make the interviewer disqualify you. How do you think Occupational Therapy differs from other health professions? You will have had the opportunity to indicate your site preference as part of the application process. The Occupational Therapist engages with individual clients and support systems as full collaborators in service planning, delivery, and evaluation; develops partnerships with community agencies to encourage client participation; focuses on occupational performance (person-occupation-environment) from a psychosocial rehabilitation (PSR . Phone: 604-822-7392; Email: os.ot@ubc.ca; Website: Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy; Additional resources. I live in New West, but can travel. In order for an appropriate academic assessment to be performed,onlya minimum of 6 senior level courses must have been completed at the time of the application deadline. If you are strong in people management, teamwork and have the right initiative for the job . Read UBC Master of Occupational Therapy by UBC Faculty of Medicine on Issuu and browse thousands of other publications on our platform. Applicants who do not have their UBC ID # may opt to use their phone number in lieu. It would seem fairly redundant to have interviews over three days if that was the case anyone out there can correct me if I'm wrong though. At the end, they asked if I had any questions (which I did), so I thought it ended on a good note. Teams of learners design a program to match the organization's needs. In other words, programs might interview 80-120 people for 40 open spaces. Email inquiries are usually responded to within 7 business days of receipt. There are many different questions you may be asked at your Occupational Therapy university interview, so we've provided a comprehensive list of those commonly asked by nursing admissions tutors at UK universities. The questions were asked in a pre-determined order, with each interviewer taking turns asking the question. Please note that the new online application system willallow documents to be uploaded ontoyourapplicationafterthe application has been submitted. UBC FoM is expanding existing UBC Master of Physical Therapy (MPT) and Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT) to the Fraser region, an area of rapid population growth identified as among the most underserved by PTs and OTs in the province. (It would have been funny if one of the candidates in the room was actually a MOT student pretending to be a candidate, to secretly assess us on our social skills Just a thought!). If the practicum is required for your program, this means that you may not be able to complete the program and you may not graduate. I am under the impression it is a behavioural interview, so you have to describe what you've done in the past to show how you would act in the future.. I'm assuming they will ask some questions about our OT related experience. Hi everyone, I've been following this forum for quite a while, finally decided to make an account. Goal setting also serves as motivation. Vision Health and participation for all. I once bumped into him and was pleased that he could remember me. Based out of Elk Valley Hospital in Fernie, BC, East Kootenay Occupational Therapy Services is looking to hire a Casual Occupational Therapist to provide Community Rehab in the local area, in addition to providing coverage in Occupational Therapy Acute care of the hospital. I just found some information on another thread on this site! Both the patient and the therapist will be responsible for achieving the set goals. This is an automatic comment on every post. Is this common these days, and if so are schools looking to appear exclusive by turning down larger numbers, or making easy profit from the fees, or is something else going on? Applicants are not required to complete the optional Casper Snapshot as part of admission requirements but may choose to do so to provide the program with additional information. Show that you are committed to your role and would love to advance further in the next five years. This is a subreddit to celebrate all things Occupational Therapy. I'm not sure how many interviews took place but that definitely made things a little more intense! I found it tough to maintain a certain level of enthusiasm when faced with the excellent poker faces of my panel. Please do not contact the department office for an update on the status of your application. I've been watching the PT UBC interview thread and was wondering if anyone has heard back from UBC for OT interviews. Such questions require you to be honest and not try to make up experiences. A job as an occupational therapist can be a great way to help people while also enjoying a good salary and job security. This is where you tell the interviewer some of the contributions you will make to the team that other applicants cant. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Anyone else? I managed to convince her together with the physician and shortly started administering OT. The interview will comprise a verbal interview and an Regardless . Therefore, a prospective employer must know how you will react to conflicts and if you are a team player. Welcome to r/OccupationalTherapy! Your academic referees must be listed as Referee 1 and Referee 2 in the References section of the online application. We still speak to date, and he has never missed a chance to tell me how grateful he is. I would therefore advise someone to seek occupational therapy to help them regain independence in their lives. Average salary for TD Occupational Therapist in University of Guelph, ON: [salary]. By I know there have been lots of posts regarding advice about OT school interviews, but I was wondering if there was anyone that had advice specifically about interviewing at UBC? Given the diversity of the field, it can be difficult to convey your skillset, training, and passion in the best way possible. Casual employment means there are no guarantee of hours and work requirements can vary between Zero and 37.5 hours per week. This article will help you by looking at a few occupational therapy questions and answers that you should expect. Tell us more about the situation and how you contributed. Academic standing of a minimum of B+ (76%) average based on all senior level courses (300 and 400 level). 1. I was actually a bit surprised at how lax some of the candidates were dressed. What are some of the qualities that one needs to be a good occupational therapist? I will assess the patients emotional and physical state while maintaining clear communication and relaxed body language all through our interaction. Avoid mentioning anything that touches on the job description. Final grades for these courses must be on your transcript at the time of the application deadline. What are you looking forward to most about becoming an Occupational Therapist? It's the same with shadowing hours. Also, how many people they are taking in this year? Results of your test must be sent directly from the testing institution, to the University of British Columbia, so as to be submitted by the application deadline. If you are found to present a risk of physical or sexual abuse to children, or physical, sexual, or financial abuse to vulnerable adults, as a result of the CRRA check, you will not be permitted to register in the practicum. Super excited. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all documentation (including references) have been submitted and will be received by the Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy department by the deadline. Applicants applying as Permanent Residents are required to submit a copy of both the front and back of their Permanent Resident card. Occupational Therapy improves life participation through rehabilitation, adaptation, equipment acquisition, and health promotion. Please ensure you meet these minimum requirements before applying to the MOT program. Questions on the online application will specify which documents need to be uploaded. Back to School 2015: Occupational Therapy. The Essential Guide to Choosing a Bank in St Kitts and Nevis. One girl wore a button-up with a blazer and jeans (in a hipster-esque style); another wore a sweater, a casual blouse, and dark jeans. Continue with Recommended Cookies. I remember reading preference is given to BC residents, however there are a certain number of seats reserved for out of province students. UBC's website understates their admission requirements. All three would record my answers. By To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. COVID-19 Interruption: For the 2023application cycle, volunteer or work experiencemay consist of eithervirtual or in-person hours as long as all 70(+) hours are from the same organization. I'd like to get together and practice too. The purpose of the interview is to determine an applicant's verbal communication skills, maturity level and personal suitability to the program and profession. I did a pretty good job and got positive feedback. Is this common these days, and if so are schools looking to . Hm well I kind of have always wanted to go out of province for grad school for a change, and I've heard really good things about Vancouver and UBC so that's why I applied to it. What do you know about current Occupational Therapy issues in the media? The Master of Occupational Therapy program may accept up to 10% of our 56 domestic Vancouver cohort seats from out-of-province applicants who currently reside outside of British Columbia. at 5:10pm for March the 8th. Why do you want to be an Occupational Therapist, rather than another profession that is caring such as a nurse or doctor? Interviews are typically held in the first week of March and are conducted virtually. . COVID-19:Information for faculty, staff and students. He later broke down and thanked me. Your site choice is given priority, unless the available positions at that site have been filled, in which case you will be added to a waitlist for your preferred site. mine went well tooI feel the same way, after I was thinking "did I remember to say.." All of my interviewers smiled, which I was hoping was a good sign but I have no idea. I was eventually called forth by anMOT student and, after saying a quick goodbye to the other candidates with a Maybe well meet each other again in this very room!, I was escorted to a small interview room. All rights reserved. The Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy will offer a maximum of 3 interviews to any one applicant over a lifetime. This question contains many aspects, as a good occupational therapist is not just someone who knows their field. What attracts to this particular profession? Treat this as a chance to sell yourself and convince the interviewer that you are adequate. Therefore, show them that you are ready to navigate well and deliver in the assigned practice setting. Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy University of British Columbia T325 - 2211 Westbrook Mall Vancouver, BC V6T 2B5. Growing your career as a Full Time Occupational Therapist- Abbotsford is a great opportunity to develop excellent skills. offered an interview this afternoon! We were told wed be informed some time in the week of April 7-11th, but I received my acceptance email on March 28th. Was it really that many people though??? As part of the application process, you are required to submit the contact information ofthree unique referees. An interviewer would most probably like you to touch on the various aspects of the job in your answer, such as: Teamwork: Employers want to know whether you can work with other people in a multidisciplinary environment. Top 20 Occupational Therapy Interview Questions & Answers 2023 Written by Editorial Team in Career You need to prepare in advance for your interview to gain confidence and reduce the pressure brought about by the interview process. Points 1 and 2 above also apply to international applicants who have completed or are completing an undergraduate degree through a, If you are an international applicant who have completed or are completing an undergraduate degree through an. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. OT school is incredibly competitive right now and it sucks that tons of strong applicants, like yourself, are being rejected. Check deadlines and use our step-by-step guide to gather the relevant documents for your application. Good luck for those who are stil waiting to hear back! The deadline was stated in both the faculty of graduate studies email and the email from MOT. Please note that referees are only notified by the system to provide an electronic reference AFTER you have submitted your application. I think that's some good advice. I don't know anything about the building or the weather, I will be coming in from out of town as well, sorry! Inquiries will be responded to in the order received as quickly as possible; however, it is not always possible to respond within 7 business days due to the high volume of inquiries received. While everyone's pre-interview process will be unique, there are a few tips that can help even the most nervous . Minimum overall: 600 for paper-based test, 100 for internet-based test. It said in the email that I had to reply by next wednesday if I wanted to keep my spot so maybe rejections are sent out late next week? As I understand it, grades were used as a cut-off for interview invites. I heard something similar in my group. An OT helps patients and clients improve their general daily activities and also their well-being by creating assessments and plans. The competitive average varies each application year and may increase or decrease depending on the number of applications received and the average of those applications. Mine wasn't in the email. I will let everyone know if she gets back to me. If you had 1 million to spend on Occupational Therapy, what would you spend it on and why? At the UBC faculty of medicine's department of occupational science and occupational therapy (OSOT), graduate students have the opportunity to work with a community partner on a program development project. I was just wondering around what time everyone got their interview invites? Inquiries will be responded to in the order received as quickly as possible; however, it is not always possible to respond within 7 business days due to the high volume of inquiries received. Also, any idea how many people are being interviewed this year? Where does Occupational Therapy take place? Interested to advertise with us? Two (2) years' recent, related experience working in a psychiatric setting with individuals who have complex mental health and addictions issues or equivalent. I'm really nervous! if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[336,280],'projectpractical_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_19',632,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-projectpractical_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0'); The interviewer will always want to know how you will deal with patients, given that it is your primary job. This question aims to tell if you know what your job entails, the right target audience and what occupational therapy does to people. Does anyone know when we should hear back? I got to work with people from different racial and cultural backgrounds and learned a lot from them.