And the more they tried, the more. She called our POWs hypocrites and liars and referred to their torture as understandable. Have a tip we should know? More than 58,000 Americans died in the war.. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, [5]http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp; http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa110399b.htm; http://www.truthminers.com/truth/hanoi_jane.htm; cited on November 24, 2004. I dug in my heels. But because of the nature of Vietnam, McNamara said to me, if wed known what we know now it would have we should not have gone out. What most Viet-Nam veterans think about Jane Fonda is expressed in a number of products sold by D & G Enterprises, During an interview with Barbara Walters 35 years ago, Oscar-winning actress Jane Fonda apologized for being used as propaganda for North Vietnam when we were still fighting North Vietnam. We're going to take them out. Bates (private citizen), What do all you old sober sides make of this thesis? And you were photographed sitting on an anti aircraft gun. He collects a group of American POWs from their septic dungeons, cleans them up, and has them mustered on parade to show his guest how well his embattled nation treats its prisoners. I would like to hear more about this. Fonda moves down the line, greeting each man with encouragements like Arent you ashamed you killed babies? as she shakes his hand. Its folklore, but folklore of a curiously evolved sort. CHRIS Content and Programming Copyright 2005 Fox News Network, L.L.C. You will not be surprised to hear that I have bowdlerised the above considerably, removing racial designators and course expressions of various sorts. Maybe John Nolte of Breitbart had the best of intentions, but his essay We Should Accept Jane Fondas Apology About Vietnam is an ethics mess. The POWs are beaten. And that we probably couldnt win it not because they werent a fabulous soldiers. In July of 1972, she made two trips to Hanoi which earned her the nickname Hanoi Jane. MacArthur complained that his conduct of the war was compromised by spies within the U.S. government: "The enemy receives my (Pentagon) directives before I do". I said that the POWs claiming torture were liars, hypocrites, and pawns. And you were photographed sitting on an anti aircraft gun. Over the years, as Fonda reinvented herself as a fitness maven and again a movie star, she apologized many times for the antiaircraft gunphoto. Fonda hasapologized for the liars and hypocrites statement, which she said she made out of anger that the Nixon Administration was lying about the extent of the POW torture for propaganda purposes. You know, I have an organization in Georgia that deals with adolescents, and Ive studied parenting. Coffee houses. Quite the contrary. Transcription Copyright 2005 eMediaMillWorks, Inc. (f/k/a Federal Document Clearing House, Inc.), which takes sole responsibility for the accuracy of the transcription. I mean, that's what you and I do with our wives when we say something that we shouldn't have said. Yet, despite treason in high places American troops - outnumbered ten-to-one - were winning the war. Her visit actually took place in 1972. But the action that still enrages veterans most was that photograph of her with North Vietnamese troops onan antiaircraft gunthat would have been used to shoot down American planes. If I was Vietnamese, I probably would have tried to do the same thing, you know, but I should not have gone. "Because of this," the narrative continues, "I spent three days on a rocky floor on my knees with outstretched arms with a piece of steel placed on my hands, and beaten with a bamboo cane every time my arms dipped." Ms. Fonda only met with those POW's who had sold out their fellow POW's, who willingly (without torture) made propaganda statements for their captors, and who enjoyed privileges of medical care, food, and even night-time excursions into Hanoi to watch movies in return. Laurie Dhue was a familiar presence on Fox in the early 2000s but left the network in 2008. Bates. In no sense am I a Fonda apologist. http://www.truthminers.com/truth/hanoi_jane.htm; Biden Should Remove Cuba from List of State Sponsors of Terrorism, Descendants of Slaveholder Donor Denounce Law School Name Change, How Social Media and Community Schools Could Fill in Gaps Teaching Black History, American Girl Dolls Declare the 1990s Ancient History, Review: DeSantis's Book is a Campaign Tome Written by ChatGPT, Reconsidering Phillis Wheatley's Place in the Revolutionary Era, Philosopher Lewis Gordon's Impact on Black Jewish History, Quintard Taylor's Black Past Project Fights Erasure of History, Review: The Unfinished Business of "Double V", One Reason to Confirm National Archivist Fast? As anyone who knew or worked with me in those years knows my heart has always been with the soldiers. In her 2005 memoir, My Life So Far, Fonda wrote of the infamous photo this way: Still,for some veterans, no apology from Fonda will ever change their views of her as an adversaryof America and the troops during wartime. Shewas arrested before she got the chance, just as she had been at Fort Lewis, Wash., Fort Hood, Tex., and Fort Bragg, N.C. Fonda told The Post shed made talking to GIs herfull-time job. Peter Braunsteins article speculated that Jane Fonda had this ability to a degree unique in modern times. And I was I was like a limp noodle what I had experienced and what I had seen, I just I wasnt able to resist, they said were gonna take you out here today. We have no right to attack that country. And I refused to have them scare me away from being actively against the Vietnam War. All Rights Reserved, Copyright MAGA Conservatives. Its something very like the worst sort of lovers betrayal, the deep wound that time itself often is powerless to heal. but not for the rest of it. False. . The POWs are beaten. Joining us now is the host of "War Stories," who fought in Vietnam, Colonel Oliver North is with us. She was young and famous at the time, maybe the Iraqi insurgents could get some of the present crop of empty headed celebrities, Britney Spears perhaps, to pose next to those Muslim mopes in robes and head towels while they aim their weapons. Nobody remembers, nobody cares. Fonda has refused to tell her side of the story to historians investigating her role, purportedly because she was saving her story for her own memoirs, which are expected to be published soon. The Bushes have a long-standing relationship with Red China, one that has hardmed our national security, yet few attack them as vociferously as Fonda was attacked. Here's what she's got. 1991) Pages 225-229. In fact, when the Tet Offensive broke, Jane Fonda was the featured pinup girl in that months issue of Leatherneck , the official publication of the Marines. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. . Also Read: Megyn Kelly Trashed by Rosie O'Donnell as 'Spineless Wanna Be Barbie' for Jane Fonda Spat. It sounds loony until you actually think about it - and the general thesis of "no-win wars" (i.e. And it was a terrible mistake because of the image that it showed, which was not at all what the reality was. The Roger Ailes and Bill OReilly scandals have cast even some old departures in a new light. Daughter of legendary Henry Fonda, actress, and activist was one of the most outspoken people against the Vietnam War at the age of 34. MacArthur publicly insisted upon victory, infuriating the international banks. By July 1972, when Fonda accepted an invitation to visit North Vietnam, America had been at war overseas and with itself for years. The charges against Fonda went beyond the notion that she was an apologist for the mistreatment of American prisoners of war. Fondas transformation from actress to activist began several years earlier. I'm sorry I hurt you, Alan, and I hope you can forgive me." 's and eMediaMillWorks, Inc.'s copyrights or other proprietary rights or interests in the material. In 1972, Fonda toured North Vietnam, where she spoke against U.S. military policy in the country. One showed her applauding North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gunners. It was to these traditional Americans, alienated by the Sixties, that the email was targeted, playing on their hopes that finally, at long last, Jane Fonda would have to answer for her choices. [2] Peter Collier, The Fondas; A Hollywood Dynasty. Truman warned Chiang to integrate communists into China's nationalist government or American aid would be withdrawn. I spent many years its when I made coming home talking to American soldiers, who had been in Vietnam and the things they told me were heartbreaking. They called it FTA, which they said stood for Free the Army, but it was also a not-so-subtle nod to the expression f the Army.. And you know, maybe I was set up but I was an adult, its Im gonna take responsibility for it. The war was being fought by the air during during the Nixon administration. quote: JANE FONDA: it was a mistake to go, I never wanted to go to any military installations. "Happening Now" anchor Jenna Lee announced that she was leaving the Fox Newsafter working there for 10 years. Hanoi Jane told 60 Minutes that photos snapped while she sat on an enemy aircraft gun was a betrayal and the largest lapse of judgment I can imagine. Though she did say, meeting the locals, other artists, and intellectuals were well worth it. Manywere there to protest the Vietnam War. Peter Braunsteins article speculated that Jane Fonda had this ability to a degree unique in modern times. Whereupon Truman dismissed MacArthur for insubordination. Dave I mean, the reality is, there were 24,000 American troops on the ground in South Vietnam. ET!. All were hired by Roger Ailes, the former network boss who exited in August 2016 amid a sexual harassment scandal. officer gets an idea. Outspoken host Elisabeth Hasselbeck left "The View" to join "Fox & Friends" in 2013, which she exited at the end of 2015. America. The Ms. , we thought, would signal a bit of ironic distance from the broad, ingenu- ous affection contained in Miss America. But now, very quickly, treason is the only crime defined in our Constitution. JANE FONDA: Well, I didnt like it. For example, she went on Radio Hanoi a number of times, while our troops, your friends, were being shot at by an enemy in Vietnam, saying our POWs were in good health. COLMES: She didn't say the words she wanted her to say. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. We now see a pattern of sedition/treason. Congress held hearings. Mr. Nolan wrote something that helped me better understand the fury of this sort of reaction. Many of our veterans still call her Hanoi Jane thanks to her radio broadcasts: True, but she doesnt just have the nickname because of the radio broadcasts. Sending Out Veterans' Benefits, The Executive Branchs Response to the Flood of 1927, The Case For Calling the Language "American", America Fought Its Own Battle Over Books Before it Fought the Nazis. This, probably more than anything, earned her the nickname Hanoi Jane.. Shewas active in the Black Panthers and marched for the rights of American Indians, soldiers and working mothers. Read more >>, The magazine was forced to suspend print publication in 2013, but a group of volunteers saved the archives and relaunched it in digital form in 2017. Jane Fonda was always an outspoken opponent of the Vietnam War. Liberals in America's streets "protested" our victories and exulted in our defeats - thus, in patriots' eyes, giving the war a raison d'etre. "CHINA: Following WWII, Mao Tse-Tung, financed by the international banks, led his Chinese communists in an armed conflict against nationalist China under Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek, America's ally against Japan. February 25, 2023 / Jack Marshall. Though Fonda has been an activist throughout her life, the only other time she has spent the night in jail was in 1970, when she was 32, on a speaking tour protesting the Vietnam War. And four months later, the bombing stopped of the dikes. But Jane Fonda: Cancel my subscription!, In replying, I discovered that the Good Book notwithstanding, a soft answer turneth away wrath no more than zo percent of the time. It never happened. She called our president, according to this report, "a new type of Hitler," pilots "war criminals.". He hadnt liked the story but at least was willing to discuss it. I don't want people putting words into my mouth, saying "you're going to tell us all these bankers and financiers are Jewish", for instance. Even so, I'm going to keep an eye open to purchase one of the urinal mats with her photograph depicted upon it. Denying a final victory over a dedicated and skilled marxist enemy was a recipe for the murder of our men. Now, aid and comfort can be measured a lot of ways. Now, I leave it NORTH: Well, yes, as a matter of fact I think she is. It meant re-taking the same bloody ground over and over again. Rumors spread and still persist that she betrayed them by accepting secret notes and then turning them over to the North Vietnamese. By denying their mistreatment or not investigating their treatment,in an effort to sway public opinion to her own perceived vision of the national interest, she did harm to her countrymen in captivity. Here is my best, honest recollection of what took place. And I didnt even think and they sang me a song and Im made me laugh. But the reality of it is, Alan, this is a woman,who I quite frankly feel sorry for. He was denied his request to gather intelligence by aerial reconnaissance over China. As the war raged, the one-time blonde bombshell cut her naturally brown hair short, trading sex appeal for liberal activism and rebranding herself as a political crusader against the war. War materiel, shipped via the Did we lie about the body that we planted on Omaha Beach (search), trying to convince the Germans that we were going to land somewhere else? Johnson solemnly announced that "Communist aggression must be stopped as a threat to American security!" Again and again against incredible odds, and at great cost in American casualties, U.S. forces stopped the enemy; but were prevented by President Truman from administering the coup de grace. Fonda was lambasted for her trip to North Vietnam in 1972 during the Vietnam War. The cameras flash. She claimed she was sexually harassed by correspondent Brian Wilson and later spoke out against Fox News' culture after the Ailes scandal broke. LBJ and Congress share responsibility for the Gulf of Tonkin resolution, with its dubious basis, and everything that followed. Jane Fonda remains unforgiven. CHRIS WALLACE: Your most famous protest was 50 years ago when you went to North Vietnam at the height of the war there. Fonda addresses the media in December 1972 to protest U.S. military involvement in the Vietnam War. She said: I have very few regrets. There's no denying that she defamed POWs by whitewashing the Viet Cong's treatment of them and later calling them liars when they spoke out." If I was used, I allowed it to happen. I did not know then. But when you know why you did something, and youre willing to admit the mistakes that you made, but stand up for the things that you did that that mattered? President Lyndon Johnson, Democrat, in a special address to the American public, reported an attack upon a U.S. naval vessel in the Tonkin Gulf by a North Vietnamese torpedo boat. Deprived of American assistance, his army bereft of supplies, Chiang Kai-Shek retreated to the island sanctuary of Formosa and dug in. At the time, Hanoi Jane was serenaded with a Communist folk song and was led to a weapon that had shot down many American aircraft, and photos were immediately taken. Its folklore, but folklore of a curiously evolved sort. I agree with TheWrap's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy and provide my consent to receive marketing communications from them. Colonel, Michelle Malkin (search) actually discovered other quotes that she had said. Mao Tse-Tung, of "Little Red Book" fame, and darling of the New York-Hollywood "elite", then proceeded to murder 65 million of his countrymen in what David Rockefeller and Zbigniew Brzezinski call "a glorious revolution." There's nothing like a historian 'cherry-picking' his citations or only presenting a partial 'truth' from his source. She posed on an anti-aircraft gun used to shoot down our American pilots. Jane, now 84, is When I contacted him, Benge confirmed that the story was indeed his own, and true." But he never met Jane Fonda, and he has no idea how the maddening tale attached itself to him. Heres what she said in 2011: In my anger at the torture story that was being allowed to spread, at how the entire situation was being manipulated, I made a mistake I deeply regret. Heres her explanation, from 2011: I had decided to do the broadcasts because I was so horrified by the bombing of civilian targets and I wanted to speak to U.S. pilots as I had done on so many occasions during my visits to U.S. military bases and at G.I. A photograph caught her looking through the scope of an anti-aircraft gun, surrounded by revolutionaries. After Fonda returned from hertrip, the State Department spoke out against her. One presumably claimed to have been struck by her, while another claimed to have had his confidence betrayed to his Communist captors. One of the times it did, Im happy to say, was with Keith Nolan, the author of several books on the war, most recently Ripcord , a superb account of the 101st Airborne in the conflicts last great battle. CHRIS WALLACE: Who the people in the Nixon administration? Nixon has responsibility for everything he did or didn't do on his watch. It is always distressing to find American citizens who benefit from the protection and assistance of this government lending their voice in any way to governments such as the Democratic Republic of Vietnam distressing indeed, said State Department spokesman Charles W. Bray, according to a July 1972 Reuters story. Jane Fonda came clean in an interview with Chris Wallace about her Hanoi Jane days and her failure as a mother. Fonda consorted with the enemy and made propaganda broadcasts on their behalf. One of the definitions of treason is giving aid and comfort to the enemy. Fonda shakes the last hand, then turns to the officer and gives him the fistful of messages. I am going to let the extract stand as it is, containing just enough truth to be uncomfortable, I think. Switch to the dark mode that's kinder on your eyes at night time. . For a great many people, its not enough that Jane Fonda went to North Vietnam, offered encouragement to an army that was daily killing her countrymen, climbed up on that anti-aircraft gun, insisted that all American prisoners were well treated, and so on. WebIn July of 1972 Jane Fonda went to Hanoi, North Vietnam, for a two-week tour of the country. She also spoke about her infamous protests. "Hanoi Run" from USSR to Viet Nam, was produced in Russian plants that had been built by American companies and financed by the Federal Reserve System. "Claim: POWs were beaten for refusing to cooperate or meet with Fonda during her visit. 1990) Pages 121-123. I think that there is a lot of selectivity going on. And exocide (ph) and biocide. Libertarian commentator Jedediah Bila appeared on Fox's "Outnumbered" and later turned up on ABC's "The View.". Jane Fondas first impression of Americas involvement in Vietnam was that it was a just cause. I am trying to show up now.. She said that she regretted it. But she was advised by other activists to focus her political energies, deciding to go all-in as an impassioned voice for the antiwar movement. Heres a transcript of her remarks so you can judge for yourself. JANE FONDA: It was a terrible mistake. Hows this for a story? Pleasant Michigan, where Mary Hersberger (Capital University) and Jerry Kembcke (Holy Cross College) both gave papers on Fonda. It was the last day of my two week time there. Perhaps most dramatically, in March 1973, the Maryland state legislature held a hearing to have Fonda and her films barred from the state. Even she had to apologize years later for that gun picture, but not for the rest of it. Watch "Hannity & Colmes" weeknights at 9 p.m. She was reportedly also an aspirant for a role on "Fox & Friends," the network's morning show. Putnams Sons. Others were hoping to catch a glimpse of a famous Hollywood actress. Youre gonna come through it, okay. They knew we were coming. This is a partial transcript from "Hannity & Colmes," April 6, 2005, that has been edited for clarity. I sang a song. Which goes to reinforce the old adage that no one is truly a waste of skin. This "police action" quickly developed into a full-blown but undeclared war. She continued openly to question the accounts of the U.S. government and American POWs, who told devastating stories of the torture they endured at the hands of the North Vietnamese. Please, you cant let them be published. Kelly attacked Fondas Vietnam War history to defend questions about plastic surgery. officer gets an idea. Market data provided by Factset. North Vietnam, 1972,: Jane Fonda is in the midst of her visit when an N.V.A. The financial elite then move into the vacuum, establish central banks, and issue debt-credit to the devastated populations. Trump Jumps on Kellyanne Conway Divorce To SAVAGELY Tell World He Finds George Conway Extremely Unattractive, Republican Strategist Goes Scorched Earth on CPAC Scam, Rips Professional Grassroots Huckster Wing of the GOP, CPAC Crowd Stands and Cheers as Raging Steve Bannon Vows to Bring Down Fox News: Were Going To Fight You Every Step Of The Way!, Florida Bill Requiring Bloggers to Register with Government Wont Survive Court Challenge, Says UF Law Prof, CPAC Crowd Cheers Wildly as Matt Gaetz Demands Congress Defund Federal Law Enforcement, They Are Lying: Tucker Carlson Reveals Why He Will Air Hidden Surveillance Jan 6th Footage Next Week, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Please Just Shut the Hell Up: Michael Steele Tells Fool Congresswoman She Has No Clue, Former Federal Prosecutor Says Rupert Murdoch Agreed with The Worst Possible Sentence in His Deposition, CNN Anchor Asks Chuck Schumer If Democratic Senators Should Still Go On Fox News In Light of Dominion Revelations, DeSantis Snaps at Reporter When Pressed On What He Would Do Differently From Biden in Ukraine, End This Charade: Tim Robbins Backs Woody Harrelson Calling to End Covid Mandates, De La Soul Lives! After all, she is an American; surely shell carry the message home to the families that their husband or son is alive. WebFind many great new & used options and get the best deals for Jane Fonda: Prime Time - Walk Out (DVD, 2010) at the best online prices at eBay! She has reportedly been shopping a tell-all book this year. A young photographer took this harrowing image of the Vietnam War. I'm not going to tell you anything of the sort. After all, she is an American; surely shell carry the message home to the families that their husband or son is alive. CNN anchorChris Wallace grilled Hollywood legend and activist Jane Fonda over her controversial visit to North Vietnam that caused millions to dub her Hanoi Jane, and got a full spectrum response on the subject. Fonda said that whileshe may have been tricked into taking the picture, The buck stops here. Legal Statement. I believe Jane Fonda has talked to at least two historians. I find that intolerable.. However, the fact that she advocated Communism does not give anyone license to make up stories or slander. JANE FONDA: it was a mistake to go, I never wanted to go to any military installations. re: Jane Fonda visiting BR this weekend Posted on 3/3/23 at 9:43 am to Chipand2Putts. After we published Peter Braunsteins article on Jane Fonda in our July/August issue, perhaps 60 people sent me this story. Imagine its the Battle of the Bulge and Betty Grable is up on top of a German tank saying the Yanks are fighting an evil war. Its not a preposterous analogynot as far as the soldiers involved are concerned. HANNITY: That's quite often in my case, by the way. Even so, the main focus of my essay was whether Jane Fonda participated in war crimes, not whether she was morally culpable for her part as an apologist for the mistreatment of POW's (she was). Thats what made me laugh. These men were bombing and strafing and napalming the country, she said, according to an Associated Press report in April 1973, which quoted an interview she gave to KNBC-TV in Los Angeles. However, when my credibility is challenged, I will respond. Lee said she still loves being a journalist and thatshehas"some really big ideas on how to better serve you in that particular arena" without Fox News. Us veterans will never forget or forgive her posing on a North Viet anti-aircraft gun, regardless whatever else she may or may not have done. Jane Fonda sparked outrage among war veterans when she was pictured sitting on an anti-aircraft gun in 1972 during the Vietnam War, earning her the nickname Hanoi Jane. They realized that the war was wrong, that we werent wanted there. "KOREA: Shortly thereafter Truman, with Congress averting its eyes, committed U.S. troops to Korea. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. However, since the majority of the stories cited in the e-mail have no proof behind them, I had to either give the e-mail "thumbs down" or "thumbs up" on the basis of the overall validity. She called our POWs hypocrites and liars and referred to their torture as understandable. I mean, the reality is, there were 24,000 American troops on the ground in South Vietnam. The Washington Post spent that day with Fonda, following her and a dozen or so students to Fort Meade in Maryland, where they planned to hand out antiwar leaflets to soldiers. Its more than being a traitor; millions of Americans felt treasonous during that war. Heres the picture that was used to shut shut down American plants, critics, and there were millions of them, called you a Hanoi Jane and said you were a traitor. SEAN HANNITY, CO-HOST: Jane Fonda says she is sorry for some of her actions during the Vietnam War. Im not you know, they all went to jail. Fonda was accused of engaging in war crimes on behalf of the North Vietnamese. The chance to remake oneself is a universally acknowledged strength of this Republic, and the Republic itself has done it often enough. The U.S. government secretly abets communism around the globe, then sends in the American military to "contain the communist menace". On the basis of those meetings alone, she proclaimed that American POW's weren't being mistreated, and that any who said they were mistreated werte either liars, or were simply experiencing punishment for their racist treatment and attitude towards their Vietnamese captors. Ive never really wanted to settle.. and how good she feels in her 70s. And I don't NORTH: Well, that's not going to happen. And, as she does, each POW palms her a scrap of paper with his Social Security number written on it. Ms. Fonda's actions, however, directly affected helpless individual captives and their families. Its more than being a traitor; millions of Americans felt treasonous during that war. What followed was a long-lasting wave of criticism and international outrage that earned Fonda the nickname " Maybe. (Later, after 58,152 American dead were just names on a wall, declassified US Navy logs revealed there had been no torpedo attack!). NORTH: These are the things that this woman did, and she has not apologized. Almost all the messages said we had no business writing about Fonda because she was a traitor. We once published an admiring profile of Benedict Arnoldwhose actions did the nation real damage in a way Fondas fulminations never couldand nobody made a peep. Also Read: 'Jane Fonda in Five Acts' Film Review: Doc Explores the Many Lives of the Actress-Activist, She posed on an antiaircraft gun used to shoot down our American pilots. True, by Fondas admission.