It is so interesting to watch, given a discussion I had on Twitter earlier with some fellow fans. He cares for her, but anytime he has to choose between Chevalier and her, he always choose the former. Then Ep 8 miscarriage scene the painting is no longer on table. I think I enjoyed your reviews as much as the show itself. Philippe is no more vulnerable to the hurt and damage done to him than she is to the hurt and damage done to her, simply because he is a man with rights and she is a woman with no rights. Because he did feel something for her, despite her repeated betrayal of him, over and over. When an autopsy was done (observed by 17 French doctors, two English physicians, the British ambassador and around 100 other onlookers) death was deemed to be from cholera morbus (gastroenteritis) caused by heated bile. The poor Chevalier, accused when he wasnt even there! My apartment has no pisspot and I do hate to urinate in the stairwells. The Chevalier: Never stopped you before. (teeheehee) They are interrupted by the Duc de Cassel (who is looking even rougher and more filthy than usual. Not only did they grow up together but they were first cousins and Louis was a devout Catholic. The final review of the finaleof Versailles. Nor can I hold her responsible for the fact that Louis uses her as a weapon against his brother. But gossip is gossip and it was particularly rife and vicious in those days. But unlike Philippe, Henriette never snogged her lover obnoxiously right there in the same room with him. I know times and attitudes were different then, but a person violated still feels violated, whether they are allowed to acknowledge it or not. Bring the garden here, Louis commands * (YES I called this line too I am KING OF THE LAB! This was served to Henriette by her unsuspecting maid. I choose to believe it was a mistake on the writers part and will simply fast forward over it when I rewatch. There is no change. I think the problem with him is that we still miss a decent biography, taking into accounts ALL sources and not only the same, always the same stuff as Saint-Simon and such. Women are still being raped today in societies which condone such behaviour towards women and which deny women their personhood. Philippe had stillborn twins and a daughter, a son who died at 2 and one at 4, plus two miscarriages. Claudine and Philippe converse, with Claudine saying she feels they are not through the worst. b) To show a glimpse of vulnerability for Henriette because for all her power, she is still the property of her husband and can be treated as such. Finally, did the male medicin drink the vial of poison accidentally or on purpose? Louis staggers to his feet, Montcourt bleeding out on the floor, and he goes to Marchal, who has collapsed near the fireplace. The historical notes you added were my favourite of all, I love knowing whats accurately portrayed and for the parts that were tweaked, what the actual history was. The Queen rushes to her side as she collapses and Louis commands Bontemps to fetch his doctor. (Same with the Chevalier and his jealousy of Philippes wives. He genuinely believes Philppe is a potential threat. In any case, Philippe is Louis victim but definitely NOT Henriettes. Louis walks in and replies: because I ask him to do so. Ahhhhh-HA! Colbert tries to push his point when Louis enters. Basically he can do what he wants, but she is not allowed to. Obviously he loves Chevalier. Hi Theresa, and thanks for your comment. Whew! She rises and silently leaves, then more people walk in to pay their respects the Chevalier included. I think Philippe will always blame Louis for Henriette's death, and I can't see when they'll ever be reconciled again. Are there more shows you will review? Henriette drew the worst cards of all four players in those stakes. His contemplation is silent. Art. Louis continues to yell: because without me this country will consume itself in nobles squabbles. He paces. Only honestly acknowledging that Philippes glorious death in battlesomething that would not displease Philippe, himselfwouldnt necessarily break her heart. If she dies it might lead to accusations and risk any potential alliance with England. Kill him, then me, and blame it on him. Is Philippe a victim? Louis turns in slow-mo, the expression on his face revealing nothing. The characters almost act as it never happened. Then he calls for the Guards. hes a critic, but there is another who has been hidden before us. He is always the king, while Philippe gives his emotions (somewhat) free rein. Especially as her lover was the king. Check back soon for my overview and wrap up of the entire season. The Dauphin. It is clear these two have a long relationship and are not allowing a small (read: large) thing as marriage get in the way. Everyone shares a look because, yeah, they know. Why is this so? And Louis is left in the salon, framed by the door, the guards, and looking incredibly vulnerable and alone. And then of course, Philippe rapes her (only the once? Another grabs him, covers his mouth, and more appear to shoot a guard. Henriette of England died in Saint-Cloud, not in Versailles. While making this video i was inspired by the scene when Henriette talks about her first mask ball. . Is it fair? She had always been painfully thin and Louis once tactlessly referred to her as the bones of the Holy Innocents. Claudine doesnt know how long Henriette has left, but it is her wish to see you both. Also, Henriette has asked to be carried to the garden so that she might be surrounded by her favourite flowers. (Philippes gentle smile is so bittersweet here!) He gets up and leaves, walking through the corridors with a candelabra. After all, everything she did was unacceptable at that time for women and it was certainly acceptable to beat a woman, especially if she was a wife, sister or daughter. Point 10: The abnoxious snog in front of Henriette. Hi, However, Madeleine de Foix, Gaston's mother, defends her son at the salon, but when facing banishment, she stabs Fabien, almost killing him. Ugh) and oh dear, the Chevalier looks so panicked, so worried by the Ducs appearance is it because he thinks people will start accusing him again of treason? So how could you be scared? the first time we see Henriette is with Louis, and Louis mentions her husband. Montcourt tried to tell me the same. It is one or the other. Philippe replies calmly: You acted out of pride. She later dies in her bed. In summary, of the four people involved in this sad businessLouis, Philippe, the Chevalier and HenrietteHenriette is the most powerless, the one with the least choice in anything. And before we can check ourselves and reach for the tissues, the priest murmurs, Amen and Philippes expression tightens, his head gently shaking before he steps away from the bed, leaving Louis there. , Question, did real Louis also love Henriette, or was it unrequited? Nup. Philippe and Henriette are quite possibly the two people Louis loves most, and yet he uses and hurts them both repeatedly to get what he wants and because he is paranoid about his brother. You have never been a man whos true. (Historical note: this happened and wasnt at all odd) The door suddenly opens, the Queenis standing there. The Chevalier looks a little panicky or is it my imagination? Here it is, mes amis! <3 <3 I love the outfit on the fashion doll that we see when Philippe and Lorraine flounce into the salon full of cloth and trinkets, and later we see that same coat on Philippe as they stroll the gardens :), Your email address will not be published. Also, his relationship with his brother was much less complicated than we see in this show, Philippe was a very simple person when it came to feelings, he was affectionate and friendly. We establish right from the start that she has no powershe was forced to marry a man she did not want because the king wants to keep her close. I love this show <3. Philippe adds: .or two, perhaps. And he strides off. They fear she might have been poisoned, so King Louis XIV shuts all access To Versailles. Point 6: Not her greatest moment, no. Dieu. Im thinking no. The sudden onset of Henriettes illness, the severe pain and the short time between the onset of her symptoms and her death suggested to her contemporaries that she had been poisoned. A subtle yet interesting choice made by production to change the portraits in Henriettes chambers. Philippe, despite their mutual loathing, was upset and distraught, so suspicion then fell to the absent Chevalier de Lorraine, who at the time was still in exile in Rome. Now this is fascinating. for Season 2. Louis is greeted by Bontemps in his chambers, who enquires about Henriettes health. thank you.. There are times when I will shout (in my head), Just leave this place and run back to England.. Philippe: my brother always trusted you. Claudine: I am honoured. Philippe whispers: I dont believe I know what it feels like. .. Emo Philippe, so dark and tortured! forgot to add the bit about similar shows. The cost is justified a hundred fold! ..And Philippes face that little sigh, the look he is incredulous. But Sophie declares she has no life: what her mother told her was a lie. SYNC. (For the record, I am speaking strictly of the characters in this drama, not the historical characters). Louis: And that makes you a liar.. Copyright 2023 History Today Ltd. Company no. I think we see fairly good evidence in episode 7 that not only does Philippe support his brother, but that he is honestly frightened of the idea of running the country and has no desire to take his brothers place (his anger at being overlooked for the regency is more due to his hurt that no one supports him or takes him seriouslyhis experience all his life). And then Marchal throws Montcourts words back at him: and when we are the Kings enemy, we must make him believe we are his friend, right? Yessss. Off they stride with purpose and a couple of guards, through the gorgeous corridors (shot in the gorgeous Vaux Le Vicomte) and with ominous background music to set the mood. But in context, with everything else going on in the show and with what Philippe deals with, I can understand why he did it. We were young. Or because she cant look him in the eye and admit it? Philippe is clearly shocked and my heart is just going HHHHHHHGGGGNNNNN. Now, seeing as sister-in-law wasnt even a thing then, this would be like actually shagging your sister. I will try, but I trust you wont publish it if you find it too long. Yes, absolutely. Montespan banters but Louis doesnt bite. Lulz. then goes into the bedchamber. ), (*WTF. Claudine confirms poison and Louis huddles with his advisors: he wants to know if any English are at court. According to the Savoyard ambassador, the king vowed that, if Henriette had indeed been poisoned, those involved would be tortured to death, including the chevalier de Lorraine, Philippes favourite, if he were implicated. You did this to her. Louis looks shocked: Brother. Philippe will have none of it: We warned you. Quite a few. Henriette of England is poisoned during her trip back from England. He gives as good as he gets and so much worse. So do I believe that our enemies would dare to poison King Charles of Englands sister? Cultural factors, too, played a part. I am tired of waiting for you to keep it, says the Queen casually as she gets into bed with Louis then settles down. Henriettes liver and intestines were found to be badly corrupted, while her duodenum, gall bladder and the lower portion of her abdomen were filled with evil-smelling bile. (its only 16mins and 50 seconds in not that I was counting *innocent whistle*) Filmed in the Chteau de Maisons in Maisons-Lafitte, in the Salon dHercule, he strides past Montcourt, demands to know what he is doing. A page for describing Characters: Versailles. Louis adds, almost contemptuously: you never understood politics. Philippe is the complete dysfunctional mess he is thanks to Louis (and their mother) and he would have my complete sympathy, were it not for his raping his wife in a fit of anger and jealousy. There is, replies Louis. I could never love you morewell. And Philippe replies gently: You did the best you could. Tears now from Henriette: how handsome you both are. And now we are in the last throes of her last moments it hurts and she cannot breathe, they move the pillow. Montcourt to Marchal: You are a fool. Louis replies: And you are a MURDERER! Montcourt continues with the wrong man thing, but Louis will have none of it. Oh, and she was the one who prepared Henriettes tea. What about the angels? he asks, after Montcourt nervously says hes been praying for Henriette. Gaston de Foix was arrested and tortured as the potential poisoner by Fabien. He weeps for the loss and I am sure he also weeps for the helplessness he must now feel, a man so powerful and commanding, who rules a country and its people a true King and yet, still unable to save her. But Louis, he just wanted her close, and so married her to his brother. Philippe strides in slow-mo through the corridors, arms swinging, hair bouncing, coat swaying and with a tight, determined expression on his face. . And the only reason she is such a powerful weapon against Philippe is because Philippe views her as nothing more than his property to do with as he wishes. Well, my thought is Philippe angrily claiming his conjugal rights may well have happened before. Panoramica: After crushing the Protestants and thwarted Leto, Louis feels invincible. when Philippe asks if he were to die, her troubles would be solved. These scenes are odd for me to watch, but by now, I have totally put aside any frustration when the show deviates from what I know of the actual history. We are back at the sickbed, where Henriette sleeps and Montespan silently weeps at the bed. *insert sound of breaking heart here*. The best visual of the whole episode. She is a toy left to gather dust on the shelf and which Louis has taken from him just to prove that he can. Nothing. Around 5pm on 29th June Henriette drank chicory water, then keeled over saying Ah! Anything Henriette had done to Philippe, he had done to herand worse. Now she is in a marriage that will never give her any joy with a man she does not love and she should risk displeasing her lover, the king, by rejecting him? There is your music.. After reading your review on epsiode 10, and reading that it ends with Philippe leaving Versailles, I thought back to epsiode one and the moment he finds Louis at his favorite spot in the woods. I did have a thought, though, why the writers didnt build up to her being the young version of one of Louis mistresses, he had so many. keep him occupied in body and mind, adds Louis with a brief smile. Is she a villain for this because of the thinking of the day? For the record, I dont think Henriette would actually like to see Philippe die, but she would like to be shot of him. Seriously, he could have married her to any noble and they would have looked the other way at the cheating. Anyhow, just wanted to say Henriette was more than happy to become second only to Marie-Therese. Im merely suggesting you might save some time. Marchal persists, pointing out that Louvois always disagrees frequently and loudly with the Kings decisions. Both of them were in love with other people when they were forced to marry and they both were aware of that. And Rohan chuckles and I well. Marchal: The King once told me, he warned me quite clearly that his enemies would seek to destroy those closest to him. Henriette portrayed by Pierre Mignard, 17th century, Henriette, Duchesse d'Orlans, the sister-in-law of Louis XIV, took a drink of her usual chicory water and immediately clutched her side, crying out in pain. He had mistresses, for example. Henriette is restrained by Philippe, the Queen and Bontemps, and Philippe is clearly suffering as he listens to his wife muffling her screams. He was distraught when she died, and was fully intent on punishing those responsible (as poison was indeed thought to have killed her). Poisoned? Menu. He was brought up and ruled as absolute monarch, and believed for the good of France. In the show Philippe tries time and again to offer his support and love, but is constantly betrayed or rejected (this happened with the historical figures, too. Now that *would* be naive. Does she want to end things with Louis? I realise a woman was expected to stay faithful to her husband even while it was acceptable for him to have mistresess (ha! We defended our position from the Spanish all morning and in honour of your distinguished service. Last scene, with Louis silent and stoic, standing on a stone that overlooks a glorious view of the forest with Versailles in the distance. And suddenly Marchal has his ah-HA moment. It is my experience that it is only those closest to a man that can inflict the greatest pain. Its just that his anger and upset (and yes, jealousy I think) affects him so much, because its just another way for his brother to control and belittle him, make him less. They could not be more different in this moment. People lived for it, and reputations and lives could be ruined with one well-placed rumour. : . I know this coming years later, but to Theresa THANK YOU SO MUCH. Is Philippe such a child and so lacking in self-restraint that he cant wait a few extra moments until they, too, were behind closed doors? Princess Henriette was born on 16 June 1644, on the eve of the Second Battle of Newbury during the Civil War, at Bedford House in Exeter, a seat of William Russell, 5th Earl of Bedford (1613-1700), who had recently returned to the Royalist side. Cassel leaves, then Montcourt walks away in the direction of Rohan who is discussing the Dauphins outing with a guard. Thank you all! Cue some fabulous visuals of doors closing, pikes crossing, the golden gates slamming shut and locking. Pot, meet kettle. poison, death and departures Versailles episode 10, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), The finale. She finally asks. Moreover, we cant fault her anymore for continuing her relationship with Louis (as if she would have had the power to end it anyway) than we can Philippe for continuing his with the Chevalier. You dont get to my age and experience with your naivete still intact. The camera then cuts to Rohan, drinking and brooding in his room, absently stabbing the table with a knife as he glares at a portrait of Louis-as-a-boy (which is a gorgeous portrait and includes Philippe, apparently in a private collection and attributed to artist Charles Beaubrun. Also it will set Louis in a collision with Phillipe who did not want his wife to go to England for the negotiations. Lord. He has poisoned all of them. But that was the thinking of the time. UGH D: Hi Jules, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your reviews as much as I have enjoyed watching Versailles. I am sobbing. You said everything that should have been pointed out a long time ago, with counterpoints and parallels that shone a light on some arguments and favoritism that , within the context of the show not history, were just mind boggling. The camera pans up and it is a truly magnificent sight, flowers everywhere. So to me, this indicates hes still quite scared. They take her hands. Whats wrong? Philippe had a relationship with the man he loved while Henriette continued to sleep with the man she loved. 1556332. Excellent. Nup. And even if not, we see what Philippe is capable of when hes in a jealous snit. And we came here for a visit. It is not clear in the show. Do you see them now? Totally inappropriate time to mention it. poison, death and departures Versailles episode 10. You can read more about Henriettas death here. I especially like the pairing of her and Marchal. I just wanna smash his smug ferret face. What? Thank you (and I agree with you on all pints!!! Her breath falters: Im scared. And the look on Louis and Philippes faces as they both lean in to comfort her *sobs* Philippe says gently: There is nothing to fear. Henriette: How do you know? Philippe: do you remember before you were born? Even though Henriette had a history of pains (since 1667) and drank only milk and basically ate nothing (she was considered quite a stick in the fashion of the day, and some historians suggest she suffered from anorexia), the poison theory stuck. Stars: George Blagden, Alexander Vlahos, Tygh Runyan Director(s . If you have to, just close your eyes and think of France. Thanks for reading! It is a controlled grief. ), I think your recaps are wonderful and I enjoy reading them every bit as much as I do watching the programme! Today you get the chance to kill a king! While hes saying this, Marchal behind them is taking out a knife, and suddenly he slides it across the floor, and Louis picks it up, and Montcourt lunges another candlestick is involved.. OMG And then Louis grabs Montcourt from behind and sinks the knife into him! And Philippe says calmly and quietly: There. I cant always catch what is being said, particularly if it an aside or a whisper but I know you will tell me . Historically, poison was definitely suspected in Henriette's death and briefly, here's how it went down: It was 1670 and Henriette was pissed off she couldn't be with Louis at Versailles, and of course Monsieur knew this, so he ordered her to accompany him to Saint Cloud. Mike did. Of course not. Of his power, of his country. First off let me say that I absolutely love your reviews of Versailles, Ms. Jules. So many questions.. let me see: did Fabien Marshal shoot Charlotte Parthanay, and if so, why? In my opinion, I agree with Teresa. Absolutely enjoyed your recap of the finale. I just rot an extremely long omment My bed your last stop before retiring. HOW DID THEY DO THAT SO PERFECTLY??? She is subject to the whims and wishes of her king and lover, of her husband and even of her husbands lover. You admit her situation is unfair and certainly, she is powerless where her husband (and Louis) are concerned and yet, simply because of the screwed up thinking of the day, the thinking that removed a womans personhood and reduced her to mere property, she is the villain for not being able to love a man who ignores her and rapes her? Bontemps moves her along. A letter from the King of Sweden has arrived, telling Louis he has agreed to break his alliance with the Dutch and support the French. I could see the Chevalier if not Philippe taking on Sophie as a sort of pet, his project, I imagine the Chevalier would have adored trying to corrupt a sweet young thing like Sophie. Why is his passion for the man he loves to be forgiven and Henriettes passion for the man she loves to be used against her? Louis decides to go to Paris to bless the sick. Bontemps says: protocol demands that if the air is impure and if you are at risk, you must leave immediately. (this is true) Marchal strides in to take command. Exactly. Still with the playing of games, the half-truth words. but it is later, after they already speak with the guards in the background. And our enemies have stopped at nothing to destroy it. Such an angry outpouring from Louis, however, would have been out of character and no one else reported that he said any such thing. I neglected to include the phrase in my opinion. And who can blame her? (yeah, I know I said I liked Marchal/Claudine, too! We stake our claim or we are ploughed into the field. Never forget. They look at each other for a moment, until Philippe looks away and mutters, Not that youd remember. Louis thinks, then slowly reaches into his jacket pocket, steps forward and takes Philippes hand then places that stone in the palm. She causes her father distress, embarasssment, hurt. I also read your discussion between yourself and Teresa about episode 10. To spare his feelings? I must be poisoned! so Philippe ordered her dog to be fed the water. We cut to the forest, to the two Kings Guards in their blue livery, leaning by a tree as Rohan and little Louis still mock fight. Did not see this one coming! We now see Philippe, so resigned, with tears down his cheeks, then Louis with a no, this is NOT happening. look on his face, eyes still dry. Eww. Then she says: can you feel my skin? And reaches out first to Louis, then Philippe. But I said lets make it our fort. For once in your life you played along. Dieu. These reactions perfectly suit and says a lot to their characters, plus George Blagden and Alex Vlahos as hugely talented actors. Good idea, he says breathlessly. And silently walks to the window. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Love your delicious commentary, brava! but it would cause her too much pain. Marchal picks up the dropped knife and lunges and he and Montcourt trade a few blows, with Marchal blocking then delivering a punch. It is Louis, and not Henriette, whom I see as the one who does the greatest harm to Philippe. After their conversation about stealing Philippes glory and the fact that Louis never liked sharing. I also saw the subtle ways in which Henriette (and Louis) talked about him, how they wished he was not there. Yes, of course its common knowledge that Louis is shagging Henriette. ? Brilliant. It is featured in several shots when Louis & Philippe are arguing and she reveals shes preggers as well as when Louis comes to confront her about not wishing to live with the doubt about the child.