These times are very accurate as the data is polled not only from my teams but teams from all across the country and coaches that personally know. Posted on . Note: if you proceed, you will no longer be following. Johnny is the starting right guard (or wherever on the line) and the backup running back. The biggest hang up recruits or parents have is that while a recruit might be really good at the high school level, if they arent playing against college level competition, it isnt much help to a coach. He goes to the sports club everyday for sprinting and swimming. 7.Throwing Velocity measured by the use of a radar gun The athlete makes a maximum of five overhand throws with a regulation softball, on flat ground. Although, I agree that max sprinting is effective, studies have shown that resistance training using sleds, parachutes, and resistance bands have improved speed at a faster rate than those who train without. Low-volume sprinting is good for all of us. Is this a reasonable expectation of improvement year over year as the player gets older and matures? Yes, considering your age, a 40-yard dash time of 4.9 seconds is very good. 20-80 Measurables. I am not sure if I have an incredibly fast 10 year old kid or what; however, my son ran a 40-yard dash at 5.1 seconds. I've always hired previous D1 SS's to teach my boys the necessary position footwork and glove work. This seldom happens in youth sports. Wind-aided though. Is your comment really even necessary? An athletic kid in good shape can bear crawl like it is a natural thing. Then something crazy happened. Strength relative to your body weight matters. This is a link to my Youth Development page (I need to update it as I have a lot more links and info to add just need to find the time). Congratulations you have the fastest 7 year old in the hisotry of the human race. Next some stats of what they did in high school. The 40-yard dash isn't a track event. Should I move up to the 800m or keep with the 100, 200, and 400? There are dozens of threads here about 60 times but does anyone know an average or typical 60 yard time for players by age or grade? Hes still not a candidate to run on my 41, but he sure looks fast on the football field. Soccer is an endurance sport. Then, depending on your age, we multiply the resulting percentage by the appropriate WMA Factor. Video must be analyzed. If youre a youth or high school coach your #1 goal has to be making the kids that you work with better overall athletes And people. We train elite 10 & 11 year old athletes that run in the 5.7\5.8 range. Mine was 3x week. You must be signed in to continue. Great article! This article is misleading at best. I also understand that the origin of the 60 is that it matches home to 2nd base. Not all that long ago an 88-91 mph fastball was considered major league average, but current data shows it is now below-average. 95 sec age 11 90 sec age 12 85 sec age 13 80 sec age 14 75 sec age 15 73 sec age 16. While an excellent speed drops below 4.5 seconds, a poor speed is 4.6 seconds or higher. DII Outfielder: 60 Yard Dash: 7.0 or below Home to 1st Time: 4.4 (RHH) 4.3 (LHH) Throwing Velocity: 82 + Ball Exit Velocity: 88 + (gots to make money right). For as much as team sports value speed they sure dont seem to put kids in the right environment to develop it. HELP WANTED: Players / Teams / Coaches / Tourneys, www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scouti0-80-scouting-scale/, When the Game tells you that you are no Longer Welcome. SPEED 60-Yard Dash Times (In Seconds) 80 . P.S I have never had sprint training just playing soccer, basketball, tennis, football, and skiing. The 60-yard dash is a short race that spans 60 yards and is most often used in professional baseball. cool running race results. Go to the PG website and look up the teams attending past or upcoming tournaments, and find out which teams or programs are nearby. What is the best way for high school catchers to market themselves to D1 college coaches? I have a 7 year old old daughter that can sprint. We just can't report what we don't see. I believe then because i ran 5.54 in 40yrds when i was 9 im 14 now and i run 4.4. Female Excellent Good Average Needs Improvement. I am not sure about the average improvement in the 60 each year but I know that you can expect to get faster as you mature in high school. When accelerating, ground contact times are much longer than max-speed sprinting. I coach in a soccer academy for kids born in 2012 so they are either 6 or 7 years old right now. 12 seconds is fast for any age in the 100. It may not display this or other websites correctly. My 10yr old daughter ran the 80metre dash in 9.32secs. Same with basketball. I think the problem with focusing is especially at the small school level you cant afford to have 3-5 kids specialize bc the other teams suffer. In fact Ive seen kids quit and not play in college because theyve been falsely pumped up by athletic enhancement gurus or AAU coaches and when they didnt get a D1 offer they thought lower levels were beneath them. Recent Posts Unread Posts Tags, Forum Icons: Is that good? If the player is not willing to put in time away from the instructor, you are mostly wasting your $$. I didnt compete against teams from other towns until 7th grade. That is, there are far fewer players attending PG showcases and having a 60 time recorded at the younger age than the metrics reported in the older ages. Jan 5, 2016. He also play tennis every other day. You didn't even come remotely close. Private Concur with above comments; spend time finding out about the local regional club teams. Learn More{{/message}}, {{#message}}{{{message}}}{{/message}}{{^message}}It appears your submission was successful. I do not. These are an indication of what coaches generally look for, but there will be exceptions. to be fast, you gotta go fast, Pretty interesting stuff. I was not fast 4.8 40yd. If you are pushing things, pulling things, running slowly uphill, or running with parachutes, your contact time wont be 0.08. Record two runs to determine fastest time. What skill sets should individual position players have? Same with football. Actually she's not horrible at 14 as she runs anywhere from 3.05-3.25 as a Catcher. 110HH 15.10 FAT He is at a local mid D1, no idea how it's going since he just got there in August. This would certainly skew the numbers (and percentage gain) over time. I would encourage those out there who have a player willing to put in the work to get this training if you can afford it. My take on home to 1st is that scouts tend to collect this information on those kids they think it may make a difference. Every sprint must be less than five seconds in length. Here's some data we got at one point or another. She's home to first in 2.8 and deadlifts 230. Kids with weak cores and lower body strength won't do it well and kids that are not athletic will have a hard time coordinating the movement. he was under 6.4 at 7 years old. 100M 11.71 HH My 7-year-old daughter is very good at sprinting 100 meters. My kid actually ranks super high in a sixty but doesn't run the bases all thatwell. 100 meter dash: 13.59 Out of 30 kids we had 3 in the top group and ten in the next group. Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything. He was at 7.28 to start & with 6 weeks of 1X / week meeting with speed & conditioning coach & doing his "homework," he got to a 7.06. D.K. . Great post. What's the average time for a 100 yard dash? He always ran extremely well but his form now is greatly improved, I feel. If youre interested in becoming a sprint coach, start by attending the Track Football Consortium IV December 2nd and 3rd. The hours-long investigation compared the 40-yard dash times given to high school recruiting sites by 203 players with the 40-yard dash times recorded by those same athletes at the NFL Combine . Most people over 60 I know couldn't jog 40 yards without passing out. He's a good running back too, but you really want him on the OL. (35 yard sprints) Plyometrics must be included. My technique was raw back then, so I think I could be faster now. Im a personal trainer, and Im totally with you! Great article. I've heard pop times are difficult at times to control as the catchers start "cheating". I would only add that going to a school with a " strong " HS program can help but only if you arent a bench warmer. Especially with a stupid sport coach that beats the hell out of the players. My daughter is 5 years and 8 months now and ran an 8.5 today. So, you multiply 0.096 by 91.44 you get an approximate 100 yard time of 8.78 seconds. Then, 0.2 sec thereafter. Thank goodness great coaching minds have put the kibosh on that. This means for the 60 yard dash: 9.5 sec age 11 9.0 sec age 12 8.5 sec age 13 8.0 sec age 14 7.5 sec age 15 7.3 sec age 16 7.1 sec age 17 6.9 sec age 18 9/27/163:34 PM 0 Original Post Replies sorted oldest to newest RJM HSBaseballWeb member since 2007 The tables presented here age-adjust running times for runners in the 31-70 year old age groups both male and female. A good 1 mile time for a man is 06:40.This is the average 1 mile time across men of all ages. Amazing! We can't be very reliable if we report something we didn't actually see. It has been speculated that in his prime, Usain Bolt might have been able to run a sub-4.0 40. Its been 3 months and I dropped my 40m time from 5.00 to 4.72 hand timed. One of the difficulties is to fond timing references grids. Returning to the sport now, I was concerned that to get better at high jump (my chosen event in masters, am now a two-time national champion W55+) that Id have to do all that distance work. When can they train and actually work on speed? He also had growing pains. 5 years and 2 months 22-28 seconds. Brands and style of leather softballs you use? This means forthe 60 yard dash: 9.5 sec age 119.0 sec age 128.5 sec age 138.0 sec age 147.5 sec age 157.3 sec age 167.1 sec age 176.9 sec age 18. Men's Age-Adjusted Running Tables Women's Age-Adjusted Running Tables Other Web Links my home page Athletes instinctively switch to auto-pilot, choosing efficiency and survival. Cut from varsity. If you see mini-hurdles, the coach probably knows his stuff. Maybe check your tape next time just to make sure you didnt measure 40 feet instead of 40 yards. Some coaches do not care about it and others do. Each time he focused and trained for only one thing, for example he trained hard and only focused on his 60 time for one of the showcases, only focused on getting his pop time down for another showcase. i ran a 3.41, i think my time in the 40 wouldve been pretty good but they only measured the 20 what would b a good time for the 20 yard dash if u just turned 29 weigh 280 lbs? The distance from the baseline to the opposite service line is 20 yards. What does a D1 baseball pitcher look like? The sprint to first base test is also over 30 yards, and involves running a maximum sprint from home to first base. You have to play. 16 year old Boy/Girl twins, 14 years old Girl, and 9 year old Son. Not only will it enhance performance, but it will dramatically decrease injuries if the athlete learns how to sprint. We have our differences, but we always agree on the subject of speed. Good luck getting 8 guys to show up for the M95 100 meter dash. Based on the graphs below, we expect T.J.s speed numbers to improve. My guess is that if you were to measure only the control group (only the players who posted the 7.85 average for the 2021 class) through each year, you may see numbers closer to the blog's. My times for the 8th graders ranged from 8.5 down to a 5.21. Not according to the above where Tony charted out Coach Latakos sons progress. Compensations are adjustments made, often unconsciously, to survive a task. timmy on December 4, 2011 at 3:42 pm #112861. I have an 8 year old son now and I am trying to not repeat those mistakes with him, but he seems to have a more is better natural mentality. Then I got to wondering what would be the average 20 yd dash times be for 10 and 11 year olds, and also what would be considered fast? Smoke, he met with the coach once, then worked out maybe 4 times on his own. Thanks for the input as I always look for ways to improve my coaching skills. Their are only so many places you can hide the lumbering behemoths. Since September Ive been seeing them 3 times a week. The current issue with sport is that these kids just compete year round. Even if times are not improving, sprinting pays off. This means that Bolt is running at an average pace of 0.096 seconds per meter. 99% of the recruitment stories I have heard were from the kids summer team/showcases, so where the kid plays HS baseball is not as important as it once was.in my opinion and experience. 20 yard- 2.9 seconds. Whats new with Kinvents third-generation KForce force plates? 40 yard- 6.3 seconds. I do implement sprint training with my combat athletes, as they tend to transfer that into mat area. Kid, I wouldn't move your son, unless he REALLY wants to change schools. If that is the case I would still encourage you to stick with it. Interesting to see all the different opinions on what is considered fast and what isn't. OP, congrats to your DD for being in the top 20 at the event. I think the 60 is not a baseball measurement anyway. What people tend to forget is that a 40-yard dash time of 4.5 or even 4.6 seconds is blistering fast. Most kids learn to play their sport but never learn to sprint. He has not been able to go to another PG showcase yet and is upset that his time is "stuck" at 7.2 with PG on the website when he ran a 6.6 this past January at another showcase. Always possible that he touched 94, unfortunately we didn't see it. A closer look, however, reveals Clayton is different. 1. I would be curious to see that. 800 meter dash: 2:35 Great post. It will probably be next summer before mine is in the high 6s where things will plane out from there. Compensations become habits. Required fields are marked *. Before kids read Charlottes Web, their baseball teams have traveled to out-of-state tournaments. He's 6'1 and about 170still has a lot of filling out to do, so I'm sure his time might get down a tad bit more before its all said and done. 20 yard dummy flip (we use 40lb and 70lb dummies but you can use seabags filled with a mix of mulch and sand (dry the mulch out) and you can stiffen the bag with cardboard inside. What skills do D1 college coaches look for when recruiting first basemen? Former D1 baseball player and NJCAA coach Nelson Gord breaks down what skills D1 college coaches look for in both right-handed and left-handed pitchers. We have several MLB organizations that pay us for accurate information. She is running a 6.4 second 40 meter consistently. Why? This is a good benchmark to compare to when you're training, but it may not accurately reflect your speed. We are what we do. I'm guessing a 7 second 40 is not doable for 99% of anyone over 60. The fastest 60-yard dash was run by both Herb Washington and Mel Pender, who ran it in 5.8 seconds in 1972 and 1973, respectively. A 60 yard dash time between 67 69 usually equate to an average runner on the playing field. They were 10 last year. He was best at throwing and catching a football. Recruits need to show the strength, speed and general athleticism to make the jump. All times in article are handheld. 400 meter dash: 1:06 Did your kid work out every day on technique? Curious if people think summer travel and showcases, along with private coaching, will be enough for the right exposure. Average 20-yard dash time for high school softball is approximately 3.5 seconds; NCAA softball is approximately 3.1 seconds. Average Ht/Wt & 40 time in DI, D2 and D3 Average 20-yard dash time for high school softball is approximately 3.5 seconds; NCAA softball is approximately 3.1 seconds. Anyone ever watch the little guys make the fake swing and start running to 1st base while the LL coach is yelling at them to "go throughgo through"? Heres his 8th grade PRs from this years track season: Rest, recovery, and growth must be respected. I also hope you post that question to the board. Sprints must be timed. She is getting faster and faster. I Reckon I Am 11 And I Can Run 32kph in speed not distance. A 60 yard dash time between 6.7 - 6.9 usually equate to an average runner on the playing field. Based on the age of the athlete, 0.4 - 0.7 s and 4 - 14 cm changes in the 40-yd and VJ, Copyright 2023 SimpliFaster. Even though the server responded OK, it is possible the submission was not processed. Sprint mechanics must be taught. Athletes get fast when they develop good sprint habits. Remember, sprinters pick up their feet, lift their knees, and then deliver vertical force. Im not interested in things that slow you down. There's your proof. I will update this for the group in the hope that it helps to benchmark for others. I have been lucky to coach the boys in football and lacrosse for 11 years. In short, yes, you can get the necessary experience and exposure from summer travel if that is the path you choose and choice of HS should not have "strength of baseball program" as a line item that weighs too heavily in the selection process. 0.5 sec per year from age 11 until 15. New PR for overhand velocity. Chad Lakatos has all the results from his youth speed camps on Edwardsvilles track website from quite a few years. It is one of the reasons coaches caution showcasing early. This is a great article for those of us competing in masters track and field to read, too. . They said that any 20 yard dash time 3.0 and below was fast. Keep in mind: When watching prospects, college coaches are constantly trying to project how well they are going to do at the college level. Thanks for the perspective. Most kids learn to play their sport but never learn to sprint. I would argue that a decline in any particular drill would stick out like a sore thumb - pop time in your example certainly being a good example. 2.79 on grasssix foot four. From diet perspective, my kid does not eat salt or spicy food. *The athlete runs the race twice, and his best time is recorded to the nearest two decimals (for example, a time of 4.453 should be recorded as 4.45). Training hard seven days a week will make athletes slow and trainers rich. No entrepreneurial coach should put training in conflict with playing multiple sports. And if you're teetering between getting a college offer, or making the league, the 40 yard dash can be the event that pushes you over the edge. The best way to get fast is to join the track team. 40 (2) = Second 40-yard dash time per NFL Network coverage 40 (O) = Official 40-yard dash time from NFL Network coverage and NFL.com 10 (1) = First 10-yard split time per NFL Network coverage This is from a coach who has timed 100's over 20 years. . Coaches are looking for the best fits for their team. She sprint trains a few days a week in the off season. Why don't people run the hundred YARD dash anymore? ". My only disagreement is the multiple sport comment. Current Visitors: 158 (0 members, 158 guests). {{#message}}{{{message}}}{{/message}}{{^message}}Your submission failed. These former college players I hired still love the game and they're normally very interested in helping young players with athleticism, desire, and a dream, like they once had. Im guessing she runs about an 8.2 as an old five year old just before her sixth bday. He is currently 5 years and 2 months. All of these are timed and then I add the times together and the lowest total times are the best athletes on the team. This is complete BS. Start at the baseline and have someone time you from the baseline to service line. All I hear from kids is they want to go D1 D1 D1, there is nothing wrong with D2, D3 or NAIA if you are playing for the right reasons aka love of the game, Ive seen too many kids who want to say they got a scholarship and love the idea they got a scholarship and quit because theyre burnt out. Why does the chart not continue on to age 50, 60, 70 etc. This comes naturally to him because my wife doesnt eat salty or spicy food either. Sprint training requires ground contact times of a fraction of a second (0.08 in elite sprinters). No shuffle, crow hop, or running start is allowed. I was thrilled when 2017 finally got below 7. Local boy posted an 89 at a showcase, but 2 weeks before he posted a 90 at a PG game, the 90 is what is listed as his best. 5 years 26-30 seconds How fast can Usain Bolt run the 40 yard dash? 180'=60 yds. Im sure shell plateau big time at some point but its fun to go out and do once a year. Your email address will not be published. No Practices? I personally like to do a football speed time where I have the players holding a football and make two cuts during the run. Please contact the developer of this form processor to improve this message. Well Done. We have been timing 27 for years so my data is now junk for comparison sake. if you're generally regarded as very fast, then the 3.41 is probably your 30 time. After a while, I was starting to think that I should move up and start doing 800m more but then I started doing a speed school and focused on top speed and acceleration. Of course, this is just an estimate. Oh, my best lineman (5'9" 225) ran a 5.45 so guess who is pulling on my counter plays. Why? It would be great to speak to you let me know a time that works for you. This is a eight-year study. Endurance athletes are efficient, not fast. The 10m fly is a much better predictor of success than the 10m start. He was 3rd in road runner in Cooperstown. You still need to showcase and attend camps in my opinion. The average punt covers about 40 yards, which is why it became an important distance for football sprints. Hit scores are used as part of player evalution, you utilize their weight and speed to determine impact force. With this great interest in youth sports, you would think kids would be faster than ever. I just begun to train my 6y and 10 months old son on the sprint for his soccer gamme. You get a feel for when they added velocity &how their physical growth tracked along with that. Similarly, the average 20-yard split was 2.61 seconds at the combine and 2.62 seconds at their pro days. if you're really slow, then what you ran was probably a 20 yard dash. Parents invest. Great stuff with a lot of useful information. All my kids ran the 20 in the same general times except 2, which spawned my curiousity thats all. Ive witnessed the evolution of sports in America. Metcalf 's 10-yard split of his 4.33-second 40-yard dash clocked in at 1.45 seconds. Depending on body type this would be possible2018 (june bday) went from a 7.83 (Feb 2015) as a 15yr old to a 6.96 (Aug 2016) as a 16yr old. Make sure sprinting is timed. I was really just tying to find out what would be considered a normal 20 yd time and fast one. I think you could look at those and establish a baseline or average. On average, their front 20 yards clocked in at 2.85, while their back 20 came in at 2.06. The kids that are close or need the extra work, cant afford to compete year round. 100 yards is 91.44 meters. For some reason, I can find it via Google but it doesn't work when I copy the link into the post. The equation squares a player's 40-time, 20-yard shuttle, and 3-cone and multiplies it by the square of a player's height, arm length, and vertical jump . Very interesting comments but do you mind explaining to me what you mean by FAT.? When it comes to midfielders, D1 college coaches tend to focus their recruiting efforts on shortstops, rather than athletes who strictly play second base. The fastest kids ran 3.3-3.5 range, next group 3.7-3.9 were some of our linebackers and fullbacks. I lettered in 4 sports in high school and played small D1 football and track(sprinting). All of this, of course is a spoof on how apoplectic some people get over radar gunning pitchers and asking about average velocities at younger ages. My Daughter just turned 10 and her time is 5.53. As in life, we are trying to be the best version of our self. Could you answer a question for me?