William Hurt's six most memorable roles - yahoo.com Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. From his first movie job in 1980's Altered States as a promising Ivy League researcher who, through ill-advised experiments, devolves into a caveman . [67], Sources that refer to the final scene of Hurt's character in, David Frost interview with John Hurt, 18 April 2008, Last edited on 20 February 2023, at 14:37, BAFTA Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema Award, British Academy Television Award for Best Actor, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, Commander of the Order of the British Empire, National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, "Acclaimed British actor Sir John Hurt dies from cancer aged 77", "John Hurt, Oscar-Nominated 'Elephant Man' Actor, Dead at 77", "John Hurt, 'the most distinctive voice in Britain', falls silent", "John Hurt 'thrilled' with Bafta lifetime achievement honour", "John Hurt talks Harry Potter, flamenco and chestbursters", "The making of Alien's chestburster scene", "Doctor Who 50th anniversary: John Hurt to play "part of the Doctor", "John Hurt teases 'Doctor Who' 50th anniversary special role", "Woodville and Hartshorne Heritage Trail", "John Hurt obituary: Open-hearted and hysterically funny", Central Saint Martins: The art and soul of Britain, "Alien and Harry Potter Actor John HurtDies", "Sir John Hurt, legendary British actor, dies aged 77 after battle with pancreatic cancer", "BFI Screenonline: AIDS: Iceberg / Tombstone", "IESB First Look: Indy IV Looks Back at the Original Trilogy", "Michelle Ryan and John Hurt join all-star cast for BBC1 drama Merlin", "The Big Finish Podcast: Sir John Hurt Tribute", "The BBC Audio Drama Awards - 2018 Finalists", "John Hurt says he'll star in Terry Gilliam's Don Quixote movie, if it ever happens", "Terry Gilliam's 'The Man Who Killed Don Quixote' Delayed Again Due To John Hurt's Cancer Diagnosis", "Ben Kingsley & John Hurt for Neil Jordan John Boorman's 'Broken Dream', "Eddie Redmayne, John Hurt Board 'Thomas' Feature", "John Hurt won't appear in Darkest Hour, what was thought to be his final film", "Never lose the edge John Hurt interview", "Acting legend John Hurt talks about his upcoming BAFTA award and life living near Cromer", "The celebrities that support Brexit (and the ones backing Remain)", "Actor John Hurt reveals cancer diagnosis: agency", "John Hurt "overjoyed" and "thrilled" at cancer remission news", "Sir John Hurt: Bafta-winning actor dies aged 77", "New faces on Sgt Pepper album cover for artist Peter Blake's 80th birthday", "Sir Peter Blake's new Beatles' Sgt Pepper's album cover", "The Proteus Syndrome: the Elephant Man diagnosed", "Ancient DNA analysis unveils mystery of history's most horribly deformed man -- The Elephant Man", "Science uncovers handsome side of the Elephant Man", "John Hurt announced as new patron of Norwich's Cinema City", "Why Paddington Bear Statues Have Taken Over London", "Hollywood legend takes up Norwich University post", "John Hurt appointed Norwich University of the Arts chancellor", "Hollywood glamour marks the official renaming of Norwich University of the Arts", "John Hurt CBE joins honoraries at January graduation", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=John_Hurt&oldid=1140535625, Marie-Lise Volpeliere-Pierrot (19671983; her death), This page was last edited on 20 February 2023, at 14:37. [26] In 2011, he narrated the BBC documentary, Planet Dinosaur, the first dinosaur-centred documentary completely shown through CGI. The four-time Academy Award nominee William Hurt, who died Sunday at 71, left behind a bulging filmography over 100 appearances in movies and television in the 45 years between his first (on a . He is survived by his four children: Alexander, from his relationship with Jennings; William Jr and Samuel, from his marriage to Henderson; and Jeanne, from his relationship with the actor. He won further acclaim for his bravura performance as the Roman emperor Caligula in the BBC drama serial I, Claudius. Hurt, professor emeritus of history and former history department chairperson, died Jan. 15, 2022. With her, he had two sons. In a much later documentary about the series, I Claudius: A Television Epic (2002), Hurt revealed that he had originally declined the role when it was first offered to him, but that series director Herbert Wise had invited him to a special pre-production party, hoping Hurt would change his mind, and that he was so impressed by meeting the rest of the cast and crew that he reversed his decision and took the role. TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers. 'John had a real tenderness and gentleness which is quite rare in a male actor.'. William Hurt Dead: 'Body Heat,' 'Broadcast News' Actor Was 71 - The Prior to writing her memoir, Kaz opened up about being a domestic abuse victim during a CNN interview following the murder of Nicole Brown Simpson. Remarkable human being. Hurt earned Academy Award nominations for Best Supporting Actor for Midnight Express (1978), and Best Actor for The Elephant Man (1980). "It is with great sadness that the Hurt family mourns the passing of William Hurt, beloved father and Oscar winning actor, on March 13, 2022, one week before his 72nd birthday. William Hurt, Star of 'Broadcast News,' 'Body Heat,' Dies at 71 3 min read. The star was best known for his work on Kiss Of The Spider Woman, The Good Shepherd and, to younger audiences, his role as Marvels Thaddeus Ross. The all-star cast also included Gary Oldman as Churchill, Kirstin Scott Thomas as Churchill's wife Clementine and Lily James as Elizabeth Nell. Hadden in Contact (1997). The pair were together for 16 years but she died in a tragic accident, flung from her horse when they were out riding in Oxford. ''But he said, no, that he was finished with marriage.''. He returned for the adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, though his scenes in that film were cut. Hurt said, "I think Paper Zoo thought it would be quite ironic to have the person who played Winston having risen in the party. William Hurt, a prolific film actor who often played a reserved intellectual in earlier roles, has died at 71. .Rd5g7JmL4Fdk-aZi1-U_V{transition:all .1s linear 0s}._2TMXtA984ePtHXMkOpHNQm{font-size:16px;font-weight:500;line-height:20px;margin-bottom:4px}.CneW1mCG4WJXxJbZl5tzH{border-top:1px solid var(--newRedditTheme-line);margin-top:16px;padding-top:16px}._11ARF4IQO4h3HeKPpPg0xb{transition:all .1s linear 0s;display:none;fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);height:16px;width:16px;vertical-align:middle;margin-bottom:2px;margin-left:4px;cursor:pointer}._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B:hover ._11ARF4IQO4h3HeKPpPg0xb{display:inline-block}._2IvhQwkgv_7K0Q3R0695Cs{border-radius:4px;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-line)}._2IvhQwkgv_7K0Q3R0695Cs:focus{outline:none}._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B{transition:all .1s linear 0s;border-radius:4px;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-line)}._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B:focus{outline:none}._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B.IeceazVNz_gGZfKXub0ak,._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B:hover{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._35hmSCjPO8OEezK36eUXpk._35hmSCjPO8OEezK36eUXpk._35hmSCjPO8OEezK36eUXpk{margin-top:25px;left:-9px}._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP,._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP:focus-within,._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP:hover{transition:all .1s linear 0s;border:none;padding:8px 8px 0}._25yWxLGH4C6j26OKFx8kD5{display:inline}._2YsVWIEj0doZMxreeY6iDG{font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;padding:4px 6px}._1hFCAcL4_gkyWN0KM96zgg{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);margin-right:8px;margin-left:auto;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-errorText)}._1hFCAcL4_gkyWN0KM96zgg,._1dF0IdghIrnqkJiUxfswxd{font-size:12px;font-weight:700;line-height:16px;cursor:pointer;-ms-flex-item-align:end;align-self:flex-end;-webkit-user-select:none;-ms-user-select:none;user-select:none}._1dF0IdghIrnqkJiUxfswxd{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._3VGrhUu842I3acqBMCoSAq{font-weight:700;color:#ff4500;text-transform:uppercase;margin-right:4px}._3VGrhUu842I3acqBMCoSAq,.edyFgPHILhf5OLH2vk-tk{font-size:12px;line-height:16px}.edyFgPHILhf5OLH2vk-tk{font-weight:400;-ms-flex-preferred-size:100%;flex-basis:100%;margin-bottom:4px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText)}._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX{margin-top:6px}._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._3MAHaXXXXi9Xrmc_oMPTdP{margin-top:4px} It was actually his second marriage after wedding actress Annette Robertson in 1962, which lasted just two years before the pair got divorced. Hurt voiced Hazel, the heroic rabbit leader of his warren in the film adaptation of Watership Down (both 1978) and later played the major villain, General Woundwort, in the animated television series version. ._2Gt13AX94UlLxkluAMsZqP{background-position:50%;background-repeat:no-repeat;background-size:contain;position:relative;display:inline-block} The action you just performed triggered the security solution. He beat the disease but was left with health problems, although he continued to work and has a number of projects set for release even after his death. ._3bX7W3J0lU78fp7cayvNxx{max-width:208px;text-align:center} This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. Janet's Genealogy - RootsWeb The next witness, Tim Zinnemann, a Hollywood film writer and producer, testified that he had stayed next door to Mr. Hurt and Ms. Jennings in the final months of 1982, when the actor was filming ''The Big Chill'' in Beaufort, S.C. Mr. Zinnemann said he had stayed with the actress Meg Tilly, who also was in the film and whom he married there. In the limo ride home he questioned whether she should have won saying, What makes you think you deserve it?. I think an argument can be made that in terms of critical acclaim he had the most successful acting career in the 1980's. The actor, who once boasted that he drank up to seven bottles of wine a night, was famous for partying with other Hollywood bad boys Oliver Reed and Peter O'Toole. I did enjoy his performance in the doctor and Micheal. 21 Copy quote. 'Because he was such a great artist, I remember writing for him and he gave it so much more strength because of the way he told it. Most folks know him from ALIEN but I loved him as Sir Richard Rich from A Man for All Seasons.'. ', Another British film star, Richard E Grant, wrote on Twitter: 'So so sad to have lost such an extraordinary talent and friend. Dr. Hurt had been in good health until he was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia days before his death. What Was William Hurt's Cause of Death? - tvovermind.com Miss you, John. Speaking of the days that followed, he later said: 'Drink doesn't make you feel better. William Hurt - IMDb He died peacefully, among family, of natural causes," the statement, as reported by Deadline, read. There were eight of us sitting around the other night and only one was drinking wine. William Hurt: His 10 Best Roles - Rolling Stone They had three sons, Moses, John and Joel. Since then, his reputation in the eyes of the public has changed dramatically, from the 1970s Hollywood bad boy to the national treasure who featured in Harry Potter. The Oscar-winning actor starred in a variety of movies over the last four decades, but how many of those titl [41], In 2007, Hurt took part in the BBC genealogical television series Who Do You Think You Are?, which investigated part of his family history. The one time he showed any emotion was on Monday when a former personal assistant testified that Mr. Hurt had ordered her to destroy his financial records and have his home checked for electric listening devices after he learned of Ms. Jennings's lawsuit against him. "[17], Hurt's father moved to St Aidan's Church in Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire. [19], The following year, Hurt appeared as Anthony John Grey, a crooked computer programming expert in The Sweeney episode Tomorrow Man. Afterwards, he told the Radio Times: 'I can't say I worry about mortality, but it's impossible to get to my age and not have a little contemplation of it.'. Where does it come from, and who says what is or is not politically correct?'. I was in a film with him and he was so mesmerising I kept forgetting to act and just watched him. No relation to Sir John Hurt ( Alien (1979), The Elephant Man (1980)), despite a popular misconception. He died on Wednesday, January 25, but had been working on a number of films set for release this year. [21] As the deformed Joseph Merrick in The Elephant Man (1980), he won another BAFTA and was nominated for a Golden Globe and an Academy Award for Best Actor. Advertisements. He was such an interesting man! I dont understand why anyone ever thought he was good. ._1x9diBHPBP-hL1JiwUwJ5J{font-size:14px;font-weight:500;line-height:18px;color:#ff585b;padding-left:3px;padding-right:24px}._2B0OHMLKb9TXNdd9g5Ere-,._1xKxnscCn2PjBiXhorZef4{height:16px;padding-right:4px;vertical-align:top}.icon._1LLqoNXrOsaIkMtOuTBmO5{height:20px;vertical-align:middle;padding-right:8px}.QB2Yrr8uihZVRhvwrKuMS{height:18px;padding-right:8px;vertical-align:top}._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0{font-size:14px;font-weight:500;line-height:18px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon)}._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0 ._1LLqoNXrOsaIkMtOuTBmO5,._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0 ._2B0OHMLKb9TXNdd9g5Ere-,._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0 ._1xKxnscCn2PjBiXhorZef4,._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0 .QB2Yrr8uihZVRhvwrKuMS{fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon)} [18] Despite the scholarship, paying his tuition fees and living expenses was difficult, so he persuaded some of his friends to pose naked and sold the portraits. The theatre production premiered at the National Media Museum, in Bradford and toured during 2010. Thinking, People, Sometimes. 'Maybe it was the way he held his cigarette, or that English accent. You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. (My own recollection is that we both apologized and both did a great deal to heal our lives, Hurt said in a statement at the time.). ._3oeM4kc-2-4z-A0RTQLg0I{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-pack:justify;justify-content:space-between} NEW YORK (AP) William Hurt, whose laconic charisma and self-assured subtlety as an actor made him one of the 1980s foremost leading men in movies such as "Broadcast News," "Body Heat" and "The Big Chill," has died. Afterwards, he continued a life of hedonism that earned him a reputation as a hard-partying Hollywood bad boy, although his exciting lifestyle did not solve his problems. Otherwise I wouldn't have the CV I've got, would I?' William Hurt, whose laconic charisma and self-assured subtlety as an actor made him one of the 1980s foremost leading men in movies such as "Broadcast News," "Body Heat" and "The Big Chill . [50][51] On 17 July 2015, he attended an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle where he received the accolade from Queen Elizabeth II. Where did Charlie Hurt go to college? With his blond, blue-eyed good looks, he found success as a leading man. In 1960, he won a scholarship to RADA, where he trained for two years. ''I told him,'Marry her, Bill,' '' Ms. Hurt testified in a small, hushed courtroom at 111 Centre Street in Manhattan. I only had to visit the ER once. 3 Copy quote. James Dunn For Mailonline From what I read in the 80's he had the same prestige Daniel Day-Lewis currently has. Hurt played a wide range of characters over the course of 60 years, from a mad Roman emperor to a pimp on the road to stardom; a circus freak, to a heroin-addicted prisoner. However, watching theatre was considered "fine" and encouraged particularly by his mother, who took him regularly to the repertory theatre in Cleethorpes. I was so new to the business but he spoke to me like and equal, with a kindness and a dignity only a man of his generation possessed. Marlee Matlin Opens Up About Ex William Hurt's Complicated Legacy William Hurt was a theatrically trained actor who valued rehearsal; at times that made him an intense coworker. Marvel Actor William Hurt Dead at 71: Cause of Death Revealed - Us Weekly Sir John Hurt. 'There's political correctness as well. Hurt won the best actor Oscar in 1986 for. In one, That Good Night, he plays a once-famous writer who is terminally ill, perhaps channelling his own experiences. His parents disliked his later acting ambitions and encouraged him to become an art teacher instead. She said: 'He understood it was a unique way for children to seek help. His death comes after a public battle with prostate cancer. Rest among the stars now, good sir. And despite his partying and drinking in the previous decades, he was still one of the biggest names in Hollywood, responsible for some of its most acclaimed performances. He played Caligula in the BBC TV series I, Claudius (1976). But the way Nobby Stiles has been treated by the sport he loves speaks volumes about the cesspit that is modern football, Farewell to a Hollywood legend: Sir John Hurt, who starred in The Elephant Man and Harry Potter, dies aged 77 after a battle with cancer as tributes pour in to 'the most gentlemanly of gentlemen', A terminally ill writer saying his final goodbyes and a former Prime Minister as Churchill battles Hitler: John Hurt's last roles set for release from beyond the grave, Isabel Oakeshott receives 'menacing' message from Matt Hancock, Insane moment river of rocks falls onto Malibu Canyon in CA, Ken Bruce finishes his 30-year tenure as host of BBC Radio 2, Pavement where disabled woman gestured at cyclist before fatal crash, Pro-Ukrainian drone lands on Russian spy planes exposing location, 'Buster is next!' Spiked with gossipy items about off-screen life during the filming of the movie ''The Big Chill,'' their testimony, and that of Ms. Hurt and others yesterday, seemed to lend a modern twist to the customary tale of Hollywood heartbreak. Hurt will also star in Damascus Cover, alongside Jonathan Rhys Meyers, a movie about an undercover mission in Syria, set for release at some point this year. His older brother, Robert Hurt, is a . Oscar-winning actor William Hurt has sadly passed away just days before his 72nd birthday, his son has confirmed. William Hurt, an Oscar-winning actor known for his roles in "Broadcast News" and "Kiss of the Spider Woman," has died at the age of 71. [citation needed], More than thirty years after The Naked Civil Servant, Hurt reprised the role of Quentin Crisp in the 2009 film An Englishman in New York. .c_dVyWK3BXRxSN3ULLJ_t{border-radius:4px 4px 0 0;height:34px;left:0;position:absolute;right:0;top:0}._1OQL3FCA9BfgI57ghHHgV3{-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-pack:start;justify-content:flex-start;margin-top:32px}._1OQL3FCA9BfgI57ghHHgV3 ._33jgwegeMTJ-FJaaHMeOjV{border-radius:9001px;height:32px;width:32px}._1OQL3FCA9BfgI57ghHHgV3 ._1wQQNkVR4qNpQCzA19X4B6{height:16px;margin-left:8px;width:200px}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;margin:12px 0}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx ._29TSdL_ZMpyzfQ_bfdcBSc{-ms-flex:1;flex:1}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx .JEV9fXVlt_7DgH-zLepBH{height:18px;width:50px}._39IvqNe6cqNVXcMFxFWFxx ._3YCOmnWpGeRBW_Psd5WMPR{height:12px;margin-top:4px;width:60px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN{height:18px;margin-bottom:4px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN._2E9u5XvlGwlpnzki78vasG{width:230px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN.fDElwzn43eJToKzSCkejE{width:100%}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN._2kNB7LAYYqYdyS85f8pqfi{width:250px}._2iO5zt81CSiYhWRF9WylyN._1XmngqAPKZO_1lDBwcQrR7{width:120px}._3XbVvl-zJDbcDeEdSgxV4_{border-radius:4px;height:32px;margin-top:16px;width:100%}._2hgXdc8jVQaXYAXvnqEyED{animation:_3XkHjK4wMgxtjzC1TvoXrb 1.5s ease infinite;background:linear-gradient(90deg,var(--newCommunityTheme-field),var(--newCommunityTheme-inactive),var(--newCommunityTheme-field));background-size:200%}._1KWSZXqSM_BLhBzkPyJFGR{background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetBackgroundColor);border-radius:4px;padding:12px;position:relative;width:auto} John Hurt, in full Sir John Vincent Hurt, (born January 22, 1940, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, Englanddied January 25, 2017, Cromer, Norfolk), British actor known for his insightful and sensitive portrayals of damaged or eccentric characters. Hurt's son, Will, said in a statement that Hurt died Sunday of natural causes. One fan tweeted: So sad to hear about William Hurts passing., Another wrote: RIP William Hurt, loved him in the Marvel movies!. (Rich Fury/Invision/AP) A Saint John thespian is remembering the time he spent with award-winning actor William Hurt, who died on Sunday at the age of 71. His father was previously vicar of St John's parish in . U will be missed.'. "I have no . I don't understand how someone can go from that to mostly having supporting roles while still in his prime. It was an honour and a great joy to work with him on Snowpiercer. [20] Around the same time, he lent his voice to Ralph Bakshi's animated film adaptation of Lord of the Rings, playing the role of Aragorn. Selena Gomez vs. Hailey Bieber: Why Everyone Thinks They Need to Pick a Side, I wonder about all the folks who Google-search their abusers, waiting for the day when they will no longer exist. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7a28b73aaefbc196 Goddam, RIP, that's so young.I can't believe William Hurt, John Hurt, and John Heard all passed away recently, none making it past 77.Life is so short you guys https://t.co/PgvmDHdIru. But the industry has also changed immeasurably. He married actressAnnette Robertson at the age of 22, and the two divorced in the 1960s. WILLIAM HURT'S DIVORCE DRAMA. ', Talking about why he stopping drink, John continued: 'It wasn't serving me, and the climate has changed.'. 'Mind Your Own Business', ''At one point,'' Mr. Zinnemann said, ''Mary Kay Place said, 'Bill, you should marry Sandy' ''. [56] Proteus syndrome is the condition that Joseph Merrick, who Hurt played (renamed as John Merrick) in The Elephant Man, is thought to have suffered from, although Merrick's exact condition is still not known with certainty. No, EddieVR is not dead age 30: YouTube gamer falls victim to death hoax, {{#media.media_details}} {{#media.focal_point}}, TRENDING:Meet Jerry Jones wife Eugenia: Dallas Cowboys owners family life explored. Hurt and Donna Peacock moved to Kenya but divorced in January 1990, just days before he married his third wife American production assistant Joan Dalton. [21] During this time, Hurt provided narration on the British musical group Art of Noise's concept album The Seduction of Claude Debussy and narrated a four-part TV series The Universe (1999). His acting aspirations were almost shattered forever by his headmaster's insistence that he did not stand a chance in the profession. The answer is simple: he wanted to work. The Idol: How HBOs Next Euphoria Became Twisted Torture Porn When our abusers die we might be surprised to discover that in the end they were mortal human beings. He portrayed the War Doctor in the BBC TV series Doctor Who's 50th anniversary special, "The Day of the Doctor", in 2013. Oscar-winning American actress Octavia Spencer worked alongside the veteran actor on post-apocalyptic thriller Snowpiercer and recalled similar memories of his storytelling. Tributes from fans and celebrities flooded social media on Sunday following the news that Oscar-winning actor William Hurt has died at age 71. The only concession you can make is to what you believe is right.