Lou Gehrig, one of the greats in baseball, had his amazing record taken from him during the 1939 season when he gave the umpire the cards of the players and announced he would no longer play the game. His social impact was seen the most at the end of his career when he delivered a speech, changing the lives of everyone at the ballpark that day. Lou, however spends the entire speech articulating the blessings that he has had throughout his life. This is initiated from very beginning, in the exordium when Gehrig states, "Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Lou thanks his wife, coaches, teammates, and even in-laws for the love and strength that they have showed to Lou through the bad break that he got. Many scientists have speculated that athletes that play contact sports, such as football are more prone to contracting ALS (Sequeira). Despite their struggles, Jackies main focus was on sports and really pushed him through high school and colleges (Kenny, 34). Lou Gehrig addresses various people in his life who have impacted him throughout the duration of his. Like what Martin Luther King told his audiences they were supposed to have the same. One would expect that a man with such a limited time left on this earth would be somber and sad. He uses the phrase thats something to show that he considers himself lucky that he has a caring, loving family, that even rival teams respect him enough to send him a gift, and that he has been given the talent to win trophies and earn respect. Yet today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face Teaching rhetorical analysis is one of my absolute favorite units to complete with my students. Outline: Analysis of Lou Gehrig's 1939 "Luckiest Man" Speech I. The main point of the speech was for people to remember the great legacy he had and his life. He was substantially more gifted on the baseball field as opposed to conveying speeches. Gehrig's use of pathos is further enhanced by his delivery, which is Miller, Michael C. Did Lou Gehrig Have Lou Gehrigs Diease? He begins his speech by saying, Fans, for the past two weeks you have In his speech Gehrig says, Who wouldnt consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? These individuals include Stephen Hawking, Jim Hunter, Steve Gleason, George Yardley. Rhetorical Analysis Of Lou Gehrig's Farewell Speech, Professional baseball player, Lou Gehrig, in his speech, "Farewell to Baseball Address," sheds light on his baseball career and why it was coming to an abrupt end. By talking about his family and the love he has for them it appeals to peoples emotions. $3.00. It is, however, so widely accepted that Lou Gehrig had ALS that it is not a huge controversy. Lou Gehrig's use of rhetorical strategies, ethos, and pathos throughout the speech benefited him by supporting his message of how he is both very lucky and fortunate to have lived the life he did even while dying from his disease. He went further into stating that no one can judge effort nor see it displayed on film because everyday people have to bring it. Children, men, and woman across the ballpark cannot believe that this icon, this hero to all American, is dieing as he speaks. Gehrigs speech can be found on the list of top 100 speeches because of the humility that Gehrig showed and because of how it led America to the shocking realization that no one is invincible. 2012. com/speeches/lougehrigfarewelltobaseball. Jackie grew up in unfortunate circumstances that many families dealt with at the time with his dad being a sharecropper. This resource is the answer key to the rhetorical-triangle analysis activity of the Lou Gehrig farewell-to-baseball speech. Gehrig strongly utilized ethos and pathos to assert his claim. The man that was known to everyone as the Pride of the Yankees, on this very day, showed how courageous he was by giving a passionate speech to his fans that was filled with sarcasm, emotion, and pride. assume youre on board with our, https://graduateway.com/lou-gehrig-speech-analysis/. I have never heard of anyone analyze the speech like that before. Course Hero is not sponsored or endorsed by any college or university. His own opinions were formed by his experiences as President. I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for.". The speech wasn't just for Yankees fans, but for all fans of baseball. Many key elements contributed to the emotional appeal of Gehrigs speech; first, he was finally addressing the reason why he was retiring from baseball, which was because of a life threatening disease known as ALS. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrigs disease, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Retrieved from https://graduateway.com/lou-gehrig-speech-analysis/, Lou Gehrig Played First and Last Games of Consecutive Streak at Yankee Stadium, Patch Adams speech critique assignment Speech Analysis, King George VI in the Kings Speech by Tom Hooper Speech Analysis, Reflection on Atty. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS for short, is a a nervous system disease that weakens muscles and impacts physical function, usually killing the person in two to five years. Gehrig was a slugger and was loved by fans for not only for his ability to hit the ball out of the park, but also for his social influence in baseball. He says, For the past two years it has been progressively At his arrival in Indianapolis, Kennedy was informed that Martin Luther King, Jr. had died from the incident. The stadium sits silently and Lou continues to describe how he considers himself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. My present condition is due to hard work, and that condition is not a bad one., This statement is an example of logos, as it uses logical and scientific language to explain the, Principles of Environmental Science (William P. Cunningham; Mary Ann Cunningham), Business Law: Text and Cases (Kenneth W. Clarkson; Roger LeRoy Miller; Frank B. Ethos and pathos are the two appeals combined that allowed him to establish himself as a self-effacing and thankful man who believed, he was nothing but lucky to have been given the opportunities in life that he had been given. Cross), The Methodology of the Social Sciences (Max Weber), Give Me Liberty! Gehrig was a slugger and was loved by fans for not only for his ability to hit the ball out of the park, but also for his social influence in baseball. This disease later became known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. Imagine that one of the greatest baseball players ever had to retire due to a life threatening condition, later to be named after him. She knew about his career over in Oakland and how he was an average player so she wasnt the biggest, Diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Lou Gehrig (Under the yankees baseball organization) continued on to deliver one of the most famous speeches in sports history, and aimed himself towards his fans and family. It was a testing time for the American people, so just to relax and enjoy themselves, people went to baseball games. A man who had played baseball all his life had been told that he will slowly start to die within the next few years. This can be seen in the last line of the speech when he states America is not the world and if America is going to become a nation, she must find a way-and this child must help her to find a way-to use the tremendous potential and tremendous energy which this child represents. Pages 2. His usage of rhetoric strategies such as ethos, pathos, and metaphor support his statement that he is both lucky, and fortunate, even with a debilitating disease. Academic Search Complete. I think it will be interesting to see how his speech applies to the present day and the current attention associated with ALS. This man had it all: a beautiful wife, a salary that would equal millions of dollars today, and the idolization of people across America. Gehrig strongly utilized ethos and pathos to assert his claim. Lou Gehrig was the only son of two hardworking German immigrants. After his retirement he came back to Yankee stadium for one last farewell. One of the key rhetorical devices that Gehrig uses in his Farewell Speech is pathos, or The speech, which has gone down in history as Gehrig appeals to pathos, ethos and uses repetition in order to thank the fans and convince the public that he is not to be pitied. 8 (2011): 8. After realizing that the crowds initial reaction would be the desire to revolt violently, Kennedy knew he needed to subdue their immediate emotional reactions and make them respond rationally and peacefully. He would no longer be able to play the game he loves--let alone live a normal life. ALS patients have anywhere from a few months, to a couple years to live after diagnosis since their nervous systems are slowly destroyed, rendering the body useless, and sustaining life impossible. Web. Lou Gehrig is considered one of the most under-rated sports players of all time. Robert Kennedy, putting his political aspirations aside, advises the Indianapolis African-American audience not to retaliate to Martin Luther King, Jr.s assassination with violence, but with prayer, understanding, and love as Martin Luther King, Jr. taught. Because of his leadership, bravery and sacrifice to make the world a better place, Martin Luther King was awarded with the Nobel Peace Prize. Lou Gehrig Speech Analysis Imagine a young boy and his father going to the New York Yankees ballpark on a warm sunny day. Behind the outstanding play of Babe Ruth, teammate Lou Gehrig was also performing at an amazingly high level but was shadowed by Ruths legendary season. Without any prior warning, this icon begins to talk about a deadly disease that he has been contracted with and that he must immediately retire from the game of baseball forever. The speech, which has gone down in history as, one of the most famous and poignant in sports history, One of the key rhetorical devices that Gehrig uses in his Farewell Speech is pathos, or. This essay was written by a fellow student. He would no longer be able to play the game he loves--let alone live a normal life. During his years of playing baseball, Hank Aaron received many death threats on his way to break Babe Ruths homerun record. gratitude. Lou Gehrig had been playing major league baseball for seventeen years and is one of the most well thought of players in the game. Lets look at the speaker, context, and audience of this speech, and do a quick analysis of its tone. Lou Gehrig used pathos and repetition to encourage and thank all the fans and spectators that have supported him throughout his career. Lou Gehrig delivered a great speech on Lou Gehrig Appreciation Day at Yankee Stadium on July 4th, 1939. Even though I am not a Yankees fan, I still think that this would be a great speech to discuss and analyze. Yogi Berra 's life was so much more than baseball he served in the Navy and stormed the beach at Normandy on D-Day. The conclusion to this astonishing speech is only one sentence. For professional baseball player Lou Gehrig, that is exactly what happened. Gehrig delivers this speech on a day of celebration towards him while coming to terms with this new diagnosis. His father, Heinrich, often had trouble finding work and had poor health. On July 4, 1939, Lou Gehrig stepped up to a podium in front of the pitchers mound in Yankee Stadium to give a speech on what was Lou Gehrig Appreciation at the ballpark. This phrase shows us how he had many people playing as jey roles in his life to make him feel lucky. This method of curing the disease is extremely controversial, however because the main method of receiving the stem cells is through aborted fetuses. One of these legends was a man named Babe Ruth, a home-run hitter with a total of 714 home-runs during his career(1). Kennedy was scheduled to speak to a large African-American audience, and was advised by the Indianapolis Police to not speak. That was what happened to the legendary Lou Gehrig. I won't send you spam. This man was very unique, he contained guts, courage, and a whole lot of drive. Martin Luther King Jr., a minister and social activist, led the Civil Rights Movement in the United States from the mid-1950s until his death by assassination in 1968. These phrases emphasize his wonderful experiences meeting such famous figures and help him prove, to the audience, that he has lived an incredible life, which he uses to deflect pity from the audience. Lou Gehrig's Farewell Speech: "Fans, . Although not the main star gehrig pushed himself to be one of the greats and on of the most well respected men in the MLB in his quote "Let's face it. Born in Cairo, Georgia, Jackie was the youngest of five and moved to California with his mother after their husband/father left them. View Rhetorical_Analysis_Guided_Notes.docx from ENGLISH 124 at Holy Trinity Catholic Secondary School, Oakville. The body of Lou Gehrigs speech is arranged based on two main tactics. This shock to the world was like when Magic Johnson announced that he had contracted the HIV virus. I always knew that as long as I was following Babe to the plate I could have gone up there and stood on my head. Gehrig firmly used ethos and pathos to state his case. sadness of baseball fans (Anderson, 2013). Of course the speaker of this speech is Lou Gehrig, who begins by addressing his fans because he wants to start by thanking them all for the good they have put into his life. In addition to shocking the country, Washingtons Farewell Address set a precedent for presidents to come. He views himself Lou Gehrig, first baseman for the, New York Yankees, star baseman to coaches, brother to his teammates, husband, to Elenor Gehrig, friend to many, role model to children across the country, the, greatest baseball player ever to fans and the luckiest man on the face of the, earth to himself delivered what is considered one of the greatest speeches ever. American Surgeon 67. It is even more flabbergasting to imagine that Gehrig knew that his death was soon, yet he had the courage and humility to go upon this podium and speak about how lucky and blessed his life has been. Gehrig's words are infused with emotion, as he speaks with gratitude, Another. Being a sports enthusiast, a memorable speech comes to my mind. President Obama, like all Presidents before him, delivered a farewell address to the United States on January 20, 2017. Without pathos, it wouldve just been another professional sport players retirement speech. Lou Gehrig's "Farewell Speech" - A Rhetorical Analysis Download Recommended for you 4 American Dream Essay- Education College Writing I 85% (20) 1 Blaxicans - Grade: A- A Mexican Ruling By Richard Rodriguez College Writing I 81% (32) 2 Homework #6 - Grade: A College Writing I 100% (2) 4 Homeless LGBT Youth - Grade: A College Writing I 100% (2) 1 Lou Gehrigs Death. 24 May 2012. Another time we see Gehrig create a powerful piece of rhetoric is seen through his purpose. Gene Linked to Lou Gehrigs Disease. He adopts a thankful tone by showing how humble he is to have played the game of baseball with many great people thus using grateful terminology for his teammates and associates and reassuring terminology for baseball fans who were worried about him and his fatal disease. 9 Apr. Copyright 2023 IPL.org All rights reserved. logos, or the appeal to reason and logic. Due to the courage and humility that this baseball icon showed on the podium in Yankee Ball Park that day, this speech has gone down as one of the most inspirational speeches in history. Thank you, Yogi Berra Rest in Peace. His name is Lou Gehrig's in his 272 word speech which lasted about two minutes. George Herman Ruth was an important figure in 1920s American history because he gave millions of people hope during the Great Depression, saved baseball from the Black Sox Scandal, and he became known as the best player in Baseball American history. This is part of a bundle pack which contains full-unit materials over the rhetorical triangle. 2 (2010): 1-11. The victim of this disease can still hear and is still able to think properly, but cannot control his own body. Baseball Doubles as a Symbol of the Country. The cause of this disease is unknown and it is still considered incurable today. never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans. This statement is Who knew that with so called, Americas Pastime, he would play such a huge role and make such an outstanding impact on this great nation. I always knew that as long as I was following Babe to the plate I could have gone up there and stood on my head. rest of the Oriole team were put up for sale. In order to demonstrate his gratitude, Lou Gehrig uses a humble tone with a strong appeal towards logos. 9 Apr. Next, Gehrig was successful in reasoning that he has an awful lot to live for and he shares a personal experience that touches the reader emotionally. In this case, Lou Gehrig has provided his viewpoint regarding the sadness of baseball fans, and the role that fans should perform not to overshadow the baseball game (Gurak, Lannon and Seijts. It was quite some journey for Jackie and he managed to live quite the impactful life (Purvis 366). See our. The thought of losing that person can really strike a chord and overall creates pathos. A-myo-trophic means no muscle nourishment (ALS association: What Is ALS?). RHETORICAL ANALYSIS OF LOU GEHRIG FAREWELL SPEECH ADISON SITTIG SITUATION Exigence Audience Purpose Situation Lou Gehrig was a famous Yankee baseball player who was diagnosed with what is now called Lou Gehrig's disease, or ALS. With Honors. accomplishments on the baseball field. Correct writing styles (it is advised to use correct citations) Gehrig's mom pushed her son hard and is the reason he was such a gifted athlete not only in baseball but in football as well. Kennedy establishes common ground to make an attempt at unifying the United States as well as inputting a direct reference to a greek poet and an empathic tone to convey his emotions. Patients usually live a few years after the diagnosis. He wanted people to know him as a normal person instead of a great and fascinating celebrity. Farewell Speech. Choose skilled expert on your subject and get original paper with free plagiarism In 1939 an unforgettable speech was given inside of Yankee Stadium, home of the New York Yankees. Web. He does not feel sorry for himself. 2012. Currently there is no cure for ALS and treatment is targeted at improving the symptoms. His name is Lou Gehrig's in his 272 word speech which lasted about two minutes. 5100 (1993). The Chief of Police warned Kennedy that he would not be responsible for whatever may happen, making this speech even more dangerous. This statement is an example of logos, as it uses logical and scientific language to explain the, reasons for Gehrig's retirement.