Used when it is raining especially hard outside. Example: Do what you want; Im up to 90 today. This is yet another mild example of Irish slang for someone you dont particularly like. , Irish proverbs for describing the weather, pp. Meaning: (Expression) Go and bollox is the Irish way of saying you are not agreeing with what a person is saying to you. Required fields are marked *. For instance, Shes a terrible gobshite., This is yet another mild term for someone who is dense. You can also use it to avoid making decisions, using it instead of its up to you. There are three languages spoken in Ireland: Irish (Gaeilge), Ullans (in Northern Ireland), and English. For instance, Dont worry about it; its great., Up to 90 means completely occupied with something. Dye see yer wan over there with the red hat? is one example. Meaning: (Expression) The expression houl yer whisht is used when a person is trying to tell others to keep quiet. Meaning: Youre a disgraceExample of usage and translation: Oh my god, she was an absolute state. Shes away with the fairies An Irish expression used to describe someone who is living in their own little bubble (la la land) or isnt all there. Example: Let me see the video again. You will often hear Irish expats say I havent heard that in donkeys years meaning whatever it is being said to them, they havent heard that in years and years. He is an absolute melter. a term from old Irish slang used to describe a chancer. Meaning: (Noun) The term oul fella is an older man. It usually refers to someone who willingly does a favour, asked or not, although usually unexpected - Like when you ask for one rollie and your given two, or the bouncer to an over 21s let's you in when your 20. 125 Irish Slang Words and Phrases to Sound Like a True Local Ireland is the second largest island in the world, just next to Great Britain. In this case, we will define soft drinks according to Irish slang. Therefore, Ireland has been one of the most recommended destinations for people who love to travel and explore the world. It can mean someone is an idiot, a bit silly or just plain stupid. Meaning: (Noun) Latchio is a form of derogatory word used for a male person with a low social status. So "have sohme fun with ooehr Oirish accent translator bot!" If you like our Irish why not create a great app with it by using our Irish API? I don't know, but it sounds like some Irish slang I've heard my entire life. Here we've rounded up 20 common Dublin slang phrases and what they mean. Were you born in a barn? Howaya! Did you see her taking a piss in front of the Garda station?" = "Oh my god, she was a disgrace. The TV is banjaxed simply means its not working. But he was raging with her means he was so angry with her. Example: Theres a long line at the jacks. Such as, Story horse?! For instance, Cmon. We should go outside and get some fresh air. Leg it means to move quickly. Say, Eh, is that Karen up there on that table? She has consumed 17 vodkas. Wow, what a dope. Bollocks/bollix Can be used instead of saying bullshit. Example: have you seen a wean with bright red hair? For instance, I called over yesterday and he talked for an hour about his new tractor. It wasnt very fun. Our website is full of tips, reviews and travel deals to help you plan your next trip away. Meaning: (Verb) Just like everybody, Irish people love to party and sometimes get drunk. I bet she was in rag order. In reality, it can describe anything. Depending on the county, greetings tend to differ quite a bit. It is also used as an insult. Gas is used when someone or something is funny. 125 Irish Slang Words and Phrases to Sound Like a True Local Ireland is the second largest island in the world, just next to Great Britain. Meaning: (Greeting) The greeting How ya getting on? is used when two people have not seen or talked to each other in a while. Revealing the Origins of this Scary Irish Creature, What is Ireland Famous For? Meaning: (Greeting) The term story horse is used as a greeting and when a person invites you to tell him or her the latest gossip. I got my fair share of strange looks when I said certain things during my time there. 20. Maybe they are culchie. Meaning: He is very chatty / He can talk at lengthExample of usage and translation: God yer one would talk the hind legs off a donkey = That girl would bore you to death with her incessant talk, Meaning: To kiss someone passionatelyExample of usage and translation: My mouth is red raw, he was scoring the face off me for hours at Coppers = I have sandpapered my skin off my passionately kissing someone for hours in the local meat market. Meaning: (Greeting) This Irish greeting is often used when a person comes home from the pub. She was down here last Sunday, for instance. Say, That chicken fillet roll was class, for instance. He still has his communion money Another expression used to describe a person who is tight with their money. The word comes from how Irish people pronounce idiot.. Glad you enjoyed the post . Leave a door open unnecessarily in an Irish house and youll hear this expression coming your way. 16. Another one for extremely inebriated people. The island comprises lush fields, but thousands of years ago, it was covered in a thick blanket of ice. I laughed until my belly hurt! The Irish term is another word for a stupid person. Hold on for a moment, and Ill pass it to you right away! Its Baltic/Its roasting Baltic indicates it is absolutely freezing outside, while roasting means it is really warm outside. Meaning: (Noun) The messages is an Irish term for shopping or groceries. Irish In origin. Meaning: (Phrase) Having the craic means a person is ready to listen to the latest news of gossip. It is often used sarcastically. He might act like a bollox, but he's sound out really. Shed talk the hind legs off a donkey This girl/woman is a right chatterbox, never stops talking. Meaning: (Greeting) Hows she cutting is an expression used when you are overly excited upon seeing a friend. . Same as whats the story. The small animal, of course, but in slang it means something that looks, sounds or simply is absolutely awful. Mocking is catching If you are mocking or teasing someone about something, be careful karma doesnt come to bite you in the backside! Meaning: (Greeting) The term hows the form? is a greeting when you unexpectedly see a friend you havent spoken to in a while. Do you mean to say Susans here? Although craic generally refers to fun, there are several other ways to use it, as with many Irish slang terms. Shes up there giving out to Tony about something, for instance. The weather is fine. Can you recommend any books about 18th century Irish speech? Example: You were flutered last night, werent ya? Given the lack of dry days in Ireland, youll be lucky to hear this said too often! Manky Used to describe something that is dirty, horrible, ugly or disgusting. Meaning: (Expression) The expression good woman is an exclamation used when a person is surprised or in disbelief. , It is referred to as a yoke to describe the object. It can be subsitited for ah feck but not around little ears! For instance, Shite man, Im late. Meaning: What culchies call people from Dublin. One of the most enjoyable posts Ive written in a while was this one. Cath is an Irish expat now living in Portugal. Ribena is a blackcurrant dilutable very popular in Ireland. It might still be long, just a slightly shorter version of the whole story. Good luck A different way of saying goodbye to someone. Shame the color is so awful. Acting the maggot - messing around Someone acting the maggot is messing around, playing around, or being silly. See how hes pulling a beamer. Can you still walk? What a complete jerk. Many of the words below were unfamiliar to me as well, but Ive included them in a section specifically for slang used in Belfast. Your email address will not be published. About 20 times a day, I use this. For instance, He had three bottles of Coke and a bag of Skittles an hour ago; hes been on high doh ever since.. Usually when a child has a near-miss at hurting themselves, youll hear grandparents saying he put the heart across me. Ask me arse Usually said to someone in response to a question to do something. Meaning: You're a disgrace Example of usage and translation: "Oh my god, she was an absolute state. Example: he yer wan last night gave me her number but I dont remember her name. Example: I cant explain it but Im in bits after the meeting. Sure, itll be grand means it will be ok. Or if someone responds to the questions how are you with grand, it means theyre ok/fine. The term is commonly used as an insult in Ireland. Jammy essentially means good fortune. Wait till I tell you This term is used at the start of a conversation that will entail gossip and scandal. Example: I cant believe youre graduating with the highest remarks. Hes a gowl and a half that boy, for instance. I havent seen Tony in donkeys years, for instance. Example: Story horse! Meaning: (Adjective) Gobshite is used to describe an incompetent person. Dose Means a case of illness. Yes, savage is also slang for good in Ireland. This is said often in my area of Dublin as a bit of humour. Meaning: (Verb) giving out is Irish slang for complaining or ranting about something unpleasant. In Ireland, there are literally countless ways to describe someone we dont like. Gobshite An Irish slang word for fool, eejit, stupid person. Meaning: (Expression) One of the funny Irish phrases today is suckin diesel because who would want to do that, right? Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Meaning: (Noun) A melter is someone incredibly annoying that he or she might actually melt your brain. Its complete shite. Barns in Ireland often do not have doors, which is why youll hear this being asked of those who forget to close the door behind them. The word unreal typically refers to something that is imagined or illusory, but not in Ireland. Beautiful cliffs overlooking the ocean will definitely take anyone's breath away. Yer man over there (with pointing or nodding of the head) This indicates that man over there. Example: Howsagoin? For instance, That new full-back theyve brought on is pure class.. Meaning: (Noun) A skanger is a person who is often involved in minor acts of crimes and is often in danger or hiding from authorities. Scarlet for ya 11. Developed "straight from the horse's mouth". Irish people frequently refer to people or situations as Gas. Funny is referred to as gas in Irish slang. Thank you so much is what thanks a million means. Meaning: (Phrase) The phrase In rag order or in ribbons is not that common nowadays, but some locals still used to describe a person who is very drunk. Meaning: (Noun) A mot is a Dublin word that is used as slang for a girlfriend. THE IRISH WAY with words is a complex one. See what I did there! It's baltic - commonly heard in winter 19. Meaning: (Noun) The term glunterpeck is another word for a stupid person. Its a grand, soft day Means its a rainy day, but more so fine, misty rain than pouring rain. Janie (mac) An expression to denote shock or exasperation. This place is kip! Its a grand day for drying This term is used to describe a day in which you can hang your clothes out on the washing line and get them dry.